2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: State's crime rate lowest in 42 years, florida -- the first SHALL ISSUE state< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 4:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Crime statewide reached its lowest rate in 42 years, with Broward and Palm Beach counties following the downward trend, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement reported Thursday.

Broward's overall crime rate dropped by nearly 4 percent in 2012 compared with 2011, and Palm Beach County's rate was down by more than 3 percent during the same period, according to the agency's annual statistics.

Both counties showed declines in the types of crimes that affect most people: burglaries, larcenies and auto thefts. Robberies and rapes also were down in Broward, while aggravated assaults dipped in Palm Beach County, the statistics showed.

"I'm happy," Broward Sheriff's Col. Al Pollock said. "Can we do better? Absolutely, and we want to drive it down even more.""

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news....3.story

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"The decreases mirror a national trend of declining violence and crime over the past two decades. Florida's rate in 2012 decreased by more than 6 percent compared with the previous year, with property crimes dropping by nearly 6 percent. Violent crimes — such as murder, sexual offenses, robbery, and aggravated assault — also dipped by more than 4 percent overall."

Corresponds with the passage of Roe vs. Wade, a logical cause and effect equation that Bill Bennett was villified for promoting publicly.Yearly graph certainly supports the deduction as well.

Also the sign of an improving economy.

Imagine how much lower crime in Florida would be if they had the sanity to exercise more respsonible gun control like most Northern areas where crime is indeed considerably lower than it is in Florida and virtually all of the rest of the South where guns are unfortunately all too easy to come by?

You weren't trying to link a more armed State to being safer as a result, were you? Silly Buggyboo, facts and syllogisms are for the logical, not fanatical.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 18 2013, 4:22 pm)
Imagine how much lower crime in Florida would be if they had the sanity to exercise more respsonible gun control like most Northern areas where crime is indeed considerably lower than it is in Florida and virtually all of the rest of the South where guns are unfortunately all too easy to come by?

Yea, those Northern areas sure are swell places; :D

"Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy and his boss, Mayor Rahm Emanuel, on Monday touted a 69 percent drop in homicides in Chicago last month and a 42 percent drop from the first quarter of last year.

But the reality about the number of murders is a little more complicated, CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports.

If you weren’t paying close attention, you might have thought they were saying Chicago’s safer than it’s been in 50 years. In reality, it was simply a return to normal after a huge spike early last year."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013....ce-1959

"Violent crime so far this year in the District has spiked sharply — a 40 percent increase that includes twice as many robberies at gunpoint than at this time last year.
Across the city, all police districts are reporting increases in violent crime, and all but one have had double-digit percentage increases, according to internal Metropolitan Police Department documents. The documents contained preliminary crime data for the city as of Thursday."

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news....gMNlOsh
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now for the really good news - the violent crime rate in Florida is 150% higher than that of New York State.

Let's hear that again.

The violent crime rate in Florida is 150% higher that of New York State.

And the New York City murder rate was down 18 percent - not 3 or 4 percent, but 18 percent.

Perhaps Florida needs to re-think their approach to crime.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ May 18 2013, 9:38 pm)
Now for the really good news - the violent crime rate in Florida is 150% higher than that of New York State.

Let's hear that again.

And the New York City murder rate was down 18 percent - not 3 or 4 percent, but 18 percent.

What do you say, maybe a link or two to back up your assertion?

As far as the NYC murder rate being down? When you employ Nazi tactics like "profile, stop and frisk" without warrants and blatantly violate constitutional rights of innocent people, your no longer living in America; your living in Nazi Germany.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 6
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

double cabin

Not exactly.......From State's Crime Rates Show Scant Linkage to Gun Laws :

For example, New York, even before it approved the strictest gun-control measures in the country last week, was ranked fourth among the states in strength of gun laws by the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence, but was also in the top 10 in firearm homicide rates in 2011, according to the FBI.

Meanwhile, North Dakota was near the bottom in its firearm homicide, firearm robbery and firearm assault rates, but also had some of the loosest gun laws and worst compliance with turning over mental health records to the background check system.

In other words, until the US reaches the goal of a gun free society - the gun CONTROL laws will have little affect on gun violence. In order to have a meaningful impact, gun laws need to move to a complete gun BAN for everyone, including most police.

Moving to a gun free society, as London already has, is a step-by-step process - banning one type of gun at a time until ALL guns are banned except for a limited number of special police. Until gun ownership is completely outlawed, expect little affect on gun violence by working around the edges of a gun ban with "gun control" laws.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ May 19 2013, 9:19 am)
Moving to a gun free society, as London already has, is a step-by-step process - banning one type of gun at a time until ALL guns are banned except for a limited number of special police. Until gun ownership is completely outlawed, expect little affect on gun violence by working around the edges of a gun ban with "gun control" laws.

Looks like a fine place to cower in fear;

"With a heavily-armed policeman guarding the playground, assault rifle at the ready, it could be the scene of a terror alert.
In fact, this is a routine patrol just yards from a suburban primary school.
The show of force is designed to calm residents of an estate plagued by gang shootings.
In the past four months there have been nine gun-related incidents in Luton linked to the Marsh Farm and Lewsey Farm estates.
In the latest, a 16-year-old boy was shot in the back early on Saturday morning. He may never walk again.
The violence has left law- abiding families so terrified they welcome the patrols, even if they risk scaring children.
Faye Bell, 37, a mother of two, said: ‘The armed police might seem heavy-handed to some people but to us they are hugely reassuring.
‘It’s very sad that it has come to this but we need the police to be armed so they can protect our kids.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....gs.html

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Professor Kleck and the Washington Times. What a load of BS. Kleck has been shown for the hack he is several times here in the past, and the Washington Times has long been described as being on the "conservative side." You bring forth this tripe and then complain about Gallup, Zogby, etc? LMFAO.

You cannot change the REALITY that generally in a Southern City with far less restrictions to access of firearms than a Northetrn City with more restrictive firearms laws you are far more likely to be a victim of gun violence, period. Professor Kleck and company can conjure up all the causes they want to, they can't change the facts.

With all due respect Buggy, Bass: Next.

--------------

Post Number: 9
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ May 18 2013, 4:02 pm)
"Crime statewide reached its lowest rate in 42 years, with Broward and Palm Beach counties following the downward trend, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement reported Thursday.

Broward's overall crime rate dropped by nearly 4 percent in 2012 compared with 2011, and Palm Beach County's rate was down by more than 3 percent during the same period, according to the agency's annual statistics.

Both counties showed declines in the types of crimes that affect most people: burglaries, larcenies and auto thefts. Robberies and rapes also were down in Broward, while aggravated assaults dipped in Palm Beach County, the statistics showed.

"I'm happy," Broward Sheriff's Col. Al Pollock said. "Can we do better? Absolutely, and we want to drive it down even more.""

And yet it's still ranked fourth in the nation for violence.

Top Ten Most Violent States

1. Louisiana

2. Tennessee

3. Nevada

4. Florida

5. Alabama

6. Texas

7. Arkansas

8. Oklahoma

9. South Carolina

10.Maryland

http://www.usblawg.com/crimina....the-u-s

Lot of Red states in that list.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 19 2013, 11:22 am)
Professor Kleck and the Washington Times. What a load of BS. Kleck has been shown for the hack he is several times here in the past, and the Washington Times has long been described as being on the "conservative side."

Why don't YOU lay out all your expertise and pedigree on the subject and we can compare to Kleck? Go ahead, we can wait the 2 seconds!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ May 19 2013, 11:47 am)

1. Louisiana

2. Tennessee

3. Nevada

4. Florida

5. Alabama

6. Texas

7. Arkansas

8. Oklahoma

9. South Carolina

10.Maryland

You mean the anti gunner Steve Killelea's group?

LLLLLLLLOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL

Yea, he has no agenda! :D

"Killelea made it his personal quest to try to quantify the economic value of nonviolence, which the IEP defines as a combination of both (1) peace with other countries and (2) a low-cost of violence within the country. The IEP has been looking for connections between non-violence and economic prosperity and has put professors and think tanks to work examining relationships between violence and the economy in every country in the world."
http://www.visionofhumanity.org/info-center/gun-control-works/

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ May 19 2013, 5:35 am)

Let's hear that again.

Oh...maybe the FBI crime statistics.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-u....table-4

So when is Florida going to start following NYS and lower its crime rate?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ May 19 2013, 2:24 pm)

Let's hear that again.

So what does that have to do with Florida's 43 year low?

Hmm, nothing!

Sure keep distracting from that fact, no prob!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's hear that again.

How's the "awesome safe" NYC working for ya?;

"A 14-year-old girl was shot and killed by an apparent stray bullet last night when a gunman opened fire on a bus in New York City.
The unidentified suspect fired 10 shots at the bus in Queens as it waited at traffic lights. One bullet hit the girl in the head and killed her.
The victim was identified as Daja Robinson who was on her way home from a sweet 16 party,"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....m4iVEpu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 15
splinky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ May 19 2013, 5:01 pm)

Let's hear that again.

How's the "awesome safe" NYC working for ya?;

"A 14-year-old girl was shot and killed by an apparent stray bullet last night when a gunman opened fire on a bus in New York City.
The unidentified suspect fired 10 shots at the bus in Queens as it waited at traffic lights. One bullet hit the girl in the head and killed her.
The victim was identified as Daja Robinson who was on her way home from a sweet 16 party,"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....m4iVEpu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hey Buggy, hate to rain on your parade, but FL is a sh(*hole.  Has been for years.  Anything that isn't nailed down, will be gone in the morning. Check the facts.  And, what happened to your last warning box.
 Post Number: 16
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ May 19 2013, 12:21 pm)

1. Louisiana

2. Tennessee

3. Nevada

4. Florida

5. Alabama

6. Texas

7. Arkansas

8. Oklahoma

9. South Carolina

10.Maryland

"Killelea made it his personal quest to try to quantify the economic value of nonviolence, which the IEP defines as a combination of both (1) peace with other countries and (2) a low-cost of violence within the country. The IEP has been looking for connections between non-violence and economic prosperity and has put professors and think tanks to work examining relationships between violence and the economy in every country in the world."

So Florida doesn't have a high violent crime rate? Really? That's your claim? Think much?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ May 19 2013, 9:54 pm)

(Buggyboo @ May 19 2013, 12:21 pm)

1. Louisiana

2. Tennessee

3. Nevada

4. Florida

5. Alabama

6. Texas

7. Arkansas

8. Oklahoma

9. South Carolina

10.Maryland

So Florida doesn't have a high violent crime rate? Really? That's your claim? Think much?

So the facts about Florida's lowest crime rate in 43 years is false?

Digress much?

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Florida's violent crime rate is higher than New York's violent crime.

So it is obvious that Florida's lax gun laws are to blame for its higher crime rate and New York's tougher gun laws get credit for New York's lower crime rate.

Somebody get a mop - I think I just made the guniots head explode.  

Never mind, there was't anything in it.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ May 20 2013, 1:39 pm)
Florida's violent crime rate is higher than New York's violent crime.

So it is obvious that Florida's lax gun laws are to blame for its higher crime rate and New York's tougher gun laws get credit for New York's lower crime rate.

Somebody get a mop - I think I just made the guniots head explode.  

Never mind, there was't anything in it.

That's OK, just ignore the OP facts and throw out your red herrings and stink up the place! :D

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ May 19 2013, 12:11 pm)

Professor Kleck and the Washington Times. What a load of BS. Kleck has been shown for the hack he is several times here in the past, and the Washington Times has long been described as being on the "conservative side."

Why don't YOU lay out all your expertise and pedigree on the subject and we can compare to Kleck? Go ahead, we can wait the 2 seconds!

So instead of actually trying to rebutt the factual assertion I made about Florida's relative crime rate you decide to just dig your hole deeper.

Did you happen to fully read the qoute you gave about Chicago? It had a opne year anomaly, which was usbsequently corrected.

Is there a reason you bring up quoutations about individual crimes instead of rebutting the actual premise and adressing the actual debate?

--------------

Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 20 2013, 2:04 pm)

(Buggyboo @ May 19 2013, 12:11 pm)

So instead of actually trying to rebutt the factual assertion I made about Florida's relative crime rate you decide to just dig your hole deeper.

Did you happen to fully read the qoute you gave about Chicago? It had a opne year anomaly, which was usbsequently corrected.

Is there a reason you bring up quoutations about individual crimes instead of rebutting the actual premise and adressing the actual debate?

That's fine if you blatantly ignore the OP about the facts involved.

Wouldn't want to see you at a loss for words!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 22
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad crime is down. But what does this have to do with guns and the price of hot dogs?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ May 20 2013, 2:14 pm)
I'm glad crime is down.

OK, now we are getting somewhere! :)

Me too and I feel being a "shall issue" state plays a significant part of that!

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ May 20 2013, 2:16 pm)

I'm glad crime is down.

You are certainly entitled to your feelings. But not sure where you base your assumptions from that article?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ May 20 2013, 2:27 pm)

(Buggyboo @ May 20 2013, 2:16 pm)

I'm glad crime is down.

You are certainly entitled to your feelings. But not sure where you base your assumptions from that article?

Marmot, think about this even though it's hypothetical; say your a criminal looking to rob. You know that lots of folks have CCP's and your in a "stand your ground" state vs. a state like Illinois where no one is allowed to possess a CCP and the overwhelming amount of folks are defenseless.

As stupid as most criminals are, does logic tell you anything about about the possibility of "shall issue" could play a role in the crime reduction if Florida?

If you place that in perspective with factual data from other states that are shall issue and their reduction in crime, I think it's a valid assumption.

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well think about this, as noted above, the ironicle thing about Florida is that it has one of the highest crime rates in the nations. Are the criminals all "shall issuing" themselves to death or what?
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ May 20 2013, 3:54 pm)
Well think about this, as noted above, the ironicle thing about Florida is that it has one of the highest crime rates in the nations. Are the criminals all "shall issuing" themselves to death or what?

According to the facts, it looks like crime is heading in the right direction. Shall we agree that's a good thing regardless?

--------------

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 28
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ May 20 2013, 12:54 pm)

Which was why I never viewed Toomey-Machin with it's provison that a carry permit from anywhere was good nationwide as any sort of anti-NRA bill.

Quite the opposite in fact.
 Post Number: 29
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 18 2013, 1:22 pm)
Corresponds with the passage of Roe vs. Wade, a logical cause and effect equation that Bill Bennett was villified for promoting publicly.Yearly graph certainly supports the deduction as well.

There's a much stronger correlation to the dramatic drop in lead content in the environment. I find that much more convincing as a cause.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ May 20 2013, 4:42 pm)

(double cabin @ May 18 2013, 1:22 pm)

There's a much stronger correlation to the dramatic drop in lead content in the environment. I find that much more convincing as a cause.

So when you're out for a family meal and while walking back to your car , 2 large, mean nasty minorities pull a knife and back you and your family in a corner, I would think you would like some lead! :D

--------------

Charlton Heston
30 replies since May 18 2013, 4:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply State's crime rate lowest in 42 years
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions