2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wal-Mart's low wages drive employees, onto public benefits< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bass Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 8:06 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wal Mart's low pay employees are already qualifying for Medicaid and other public benefits. Once Obamacare becomes effective in January, even more of Wal Mart's employees will become eligible for Medicare and the health insurance subsidies.

It is good public policy for taxpayers to subsidize Wal Mart by providing public benefits to their employees - but not to subsidize other companies ( who choose to pay better in order to get better employees ) by providing benefits to their employees?

Maybe Wal Mart has just found a better way to compete. Free market capitalism means exploiting every competitive advantage possible - including pushing employees onto public benefits. Wal Mart gets the benefit of healthy employees - a competitive advantage - at taxpayer's expense. Smart.

From Wal Mart Drives Employees to Public Benefits :

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. wages are so low they force many of its employees onto the public doles, creating a drag on taxpayers and the economy, according to a new report from the staff of congressional Democrats.

In California, lawmakers are concerned that the public will get saddled with even bigger expenses from Wal-Mart employees as the federal health care law expands. Legislators in the Golden State are calling for fines that could reach about $6,000 for every full-time employee who ends up on Medi-Cal, the state's Medicaid program for the poor.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jun. 07 2013, 5:06 am)
Wal Mart's low pay employees are already qualifying for Medicaid and other public benefits.

Would it be better if they had no job at all?

They can always quit and then  Wal*Mart can then simply yell "Next!" to the many who would like such a job.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 3
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exactly right

There is not some magical right to a great job with great benefits

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 4
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

End any subsidies. If they can afford a steak but not insurance, too bad. How are we going to cull the human herd?

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember a PBS documentary showing Wal-Mart's new hire orientation.  Part of that orientation program was teaching new hires how to fill forms to qualify for public welfare.   The shame!

OTOH, Don's got a valid point too.  There are different jobs paying different wages and requiring different skill sets.  And a badly-paying job is often better than no job at all...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can subsidize them now, or subsidize them later when they get sick, and you end up paying the whole bill through higher insurance premiums (that subsidize the uninsured).

There's no free ride here.
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Wal-Mart's low wages drive employees, onto public benefits"

I would say the Walmart's low prices also drive employees to public benefits.  If you are opposed to Walmart's employee compensation packages - show it by not taking advantage of Walmart's low prices.
 Post Number: 8
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wal-Mart is the biggest target, but it's really the entire retail industry. Most jobs are part-time, and no benefits. It makes no sense to only schedule someone 20 hours a week, but provide them insurance-the health coverage would exceed their cash compensation!
In every store I worked in, the only people making enough to support a family were the store manager and maybe the assistant-provided his/her spouse had a good job as well.
The question we should be asking ourselves is would we be willing to pay 10-15% more for just about everything bought at a store so that every employee had full time hours, high wages, and benefits. Wait, some of us do, if we shop at a union grocery store. But since more and more are declining to make that choice, the Wal-Marts and Winco's of the non-union world are eating the union store's lunch.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jun. 07 2013, 11:44 am)
"Wal-Mart's low wages drive employees, onto public benefits"

I would say the Walmart's low prices also drive employees to public benefits.  If you are opposed to Walmart's employee compensation packages - show it by not taking advantage of Walmart's low prices.

Wal Mart prices aren't all that low, actually.  They are comparable to Target's.  But you just don't hear quite as much negatives about Target's pay practices...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 07 2013, 12:20 pm)
Wal Mart prices aren't all that low, actually.  They are comparable to Target's.  But you just don't hear quite as much negatives about Target's pay practices...

Then after those employes get their experience from Wal*Mart, they can put in their job application for Target.

Usually the  lower paying jobs are great for training for better jobs.

Perhaps many of the Target employees can thank Wal*Mart for their experience and better pay & benefits.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 11
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here you have one of the most profitable and successful companies in US history and they absolutely refuse to give their employees healthcare. And worse, i have to pay for their cashiers healthcare.
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jun. 07 2013, 3:32 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jun. 07 2013, 12:20 pm)

Then after those employes get their experience from Wal*Mart, they can put in their job application for Target.

Usually the  lower paying jobs are great for training for better jobs.

Perhaps many of the Target employees can thank Wal*Mart for their experience and better pay & benefits.

-Don-

I think you entirely missed the point of Ben's post.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thing One: Any employer that isn't paying full-time (or near full-time) employees enough to live on (food, shelter, basic transportation, necessary healthcare, etc.) is, in fact, externalizing costs.

Look at it this way: you can't exactly have a homeless workforce, right? Or malnourished? Or unable to get to work? Employers depend on a workforce that is able to function at a basic level, which means people who have the basic necessities of life.

So if your employees do have their needs met to a degree that they can, in fact, be productive employees, and if you aren't paying them enough to meet those needs, then somebody else is subsidizing your business.

Thing Two: it isn't really about prices. Wal-Mart could easily sell everything at its current price and pay its employees a living wage. The money that would otherwise go to employees is, instead, going to shareholders--and that's an economy-wide problem. Over the last 30 years or so the percentage of corporate revenues going to shareholders has steadily risen; investors have been using their leverage to force corporations to give them more and more of the revenues. That coincides with stagnant real wages over the same period--because the easiest way to get more cash to fork over to the investors is by cutting labor costs.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Jun. 07 2013, 4:17 pm)
--because the easiest way to get more cash to fork over to the investors is by cutting labor costs.

Yep.  Esp. when there is more than abundant supply of workers worldwide willing to do basic manufacturing and service jobs for very little money.

Problem with US workers doing the same is that cost of living here in one of the world's richest countries is high!  The days when American workers with just a high school education could enjoy a solid middle class standard of living -- because so much of the rest of the world were just peasants -- well, those days are over.

I don't see many good endings for kids and young adults who fail to get a good education this day and age.  The have's will continue to have (you can command far higher wages when you can do things that most others can't) -- and the have not's may well continue to suffer... perhaps even more so than they do now.  Vast labor pools in India and Africa have yet to be tapped.

Folks, this ain't a Democrat or Republican thing.  The forces of global macroeconomics are greater than any one nation can shape...

But having said all that, one must point out that corporations do have some ability (and responsibility) to be good corporate citizens and pay fair wages...

--------------
 Post Number: 15
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 5:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every argument against raising minimum wage is of course the same argument that was raised last time they raised the wage. I'm not recalling anyone going out of business. You? Prices go up? Maybe, but they are anyway.
I just started a new job and went back to $2.33 an hour. I can hardly tell you how thrilled I am about that. We haven't seen a raise in our minimum wage since 1991. As a waitress, I find the odds of my job being outsourced fairly slim. So please do, justify my pay being so meager.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 16
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

every time I hear the sob stories about someone trying to raise a family on a minimum (or simply low) wage job I get a headache. there are lots of people in the workforce that are willing to work shorter hours and for lower pay for a host of reasons. Some may be students, others may simply be looking to supplement their retirement income, some may be working an extra job to make some extra cash. And as DT said, some are simply looking to get a job to build some work history to get the job they really want.

Heck, most of the jobs we are adding as we hit 7.6% unemployment are temp positions.

But unless these jobs are not being filled, they are evidently paying enough for someone.

Some of the best admin people I have had were job share partners where both people wanted part time and did not need benefits. Neither one made enough to "raise a family" but had the job they wanted. If they had not then they would have gone somewhere else

Star, I hope your new job is somewhere that has better tips.....my wife is a medical professional and it took her several years to start making more than she did as a cocktail waitress in college

Finding good quality employees that will simply show up and work hard is difficult.

There will always be a market for and the possibility of advancement for anyone that can do those two things

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 08 2013, 10:17 am)
every time I hear the sob stories about someone trying to raise a family on a minimum (or simply low) wage job I get a headache. there are lots of people in the workforce that are willing to work shorter hours and for lower pay for a host of reasons. Some may be students, others may simply be looking to supplement their retirement income, some may be working an extra job to make some extra cash. And as DT said, some are simply looking to get a job to build some work history to get the job they really want.

Heck, most of the jobs we are adding as we hit 7.6% unemployment are temp positions.

But unless these jobs are not being filled, they are evidently paying enough for someone.

Some of the best admin people I have had were job share partners where both people wanted part time and did not need benefits. Neither one made enough to "raise a family" but had the job they wanted. If they had not then they would have gone somewhere else

Star, I hope your new job is somewhere that has better tips.....my wife is a medical professional and it took her several years to start making more than she did as a cocktail waitress in college

Finding good quality employees that will simply show up and work hard is difficult.

There will always be a market for and the possibility of advancement for anyone that can do those two things

Count me as skeptical on sincerity or empathy on this post.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He didn't tell me to get a different job, or go to school, or move someplace with more work opportunities. That is refreshing.
The place I'm at isn't heinous. They offer insurance, paid time off, and some small sales and, in the kitchen, attendance and cost control incentives. You sign enough paperwork on hiring that I'm very sure they'd never have to pay an unemployment claim however. Could they pay us more? Sure. But they simply aren't required to.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Jun. 08 2013, 12:13 pm)
But they simply aren't required to.

Veering a bit off topic...

That's probably because there are plenty of others who want the job.  Can a new hire serve as professionally and efficiently as a seasoned waiter who's got a great attitude?  No, very unlikely.  But that is sadly a lower priority in many restaurants -- lower than the "need" for maximizing profits anyway.

Another thing... I believe many restaurants purposely pay less because they expect waiters to "make it up" via tips.  I really dislike this.  As a customer, I shouldn't have to support the restaurant's payroll.  Restaurants should take care of their own employees properly -- and put reasonable prices on their menus to do that and make a reasonable profit for themselves!

Don't like the service?  Then just do the same as you do when you don't like a store -- complain and/or take your business elsewhere.  Tipping is one of the biggest farce around.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jun. 08 2013, 10:19 am)

Insincerity from the forum's own Mr. Burns? Say it isn't so!
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, hells yes. Waitress wage is the biggest racket going. Make your customers pay your employee wages. But it's not uniform nation wide. Some states have a higher wage, their residents tip based on their wages. That is of course problematic for us, being next door to Minnesota, they pay more.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 6:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Reverend Peyton pretty much nailed it.

With lyrics

Live
 Post Number: 23
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jun. 09 2013, 5:07 am)
Reverend Peyton pretty much nailed it.

With lyrics

Live

+1....... Great videos!
 Post Number: 24
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 7:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They're a serious fun time band.  They've been around for close to a decade.  You can find them at Big Damn Band.

If I had to recommend one CD, it'd be The Whole Fam Damnily.  "Your Cousin's on Cops" is a true story.

If you get a chance to see them live, do it.  They come with the reubenstump 5 star money back gar-on-tee.
 Post Number: 25
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jun. 08 2013, 12:22 pm)

(Ecocentric @ Jun. 08 2013, 10:19 am)

Insincerity from the forum's own Mr. Burns? Say it isn't so!

His derisive use of the phrase "sob story" is the tipoff.

Then again, the fact that it's BillBab is a tipoff in itself.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 26
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oregon has passed 2 different labor laws in the past couple of years.  The employers now have to pay everyone at least minimum wage, with no exceptions for wait staff, etc.  I have not heard any stories from people I know in the industry that this pay raise changed the way people tipped, thankfully.

The second law involved strippers.  Seems like the clubs were treating them as contractors, and made them pay to use the dance floor.  Now, they have to be paid employees, making minimum wage, and no longer have to pay to earn their tips. God knows they were already being used, so why in the world anyone thought they could be charged to work I have no idea.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But the fact remains (and I shamefully count myself among the guilty cause I bought some Hanes undies and socks there last year):  Wal Mart continues to enjoy phenomenal sales - 2012 net sales came in at a whopping $444 billion!

$444 billion.  If Wal Mart were a country all by itself, a $444 billion "economy" would put it at No. 28 among the 196 countries in the world today.  That's big -- and that's a lot of people buying at Wal Mart!

Note to self:  Next time, buy socks and undies at Target.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exhibit A for the case that it is human nature to choose personal advantage over mutual benefit.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 3:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 09 2013, 9:53 am)
The second law involved strippers.  Seems like the clubs were treating them as contractors, and made them pay to use the dance floor.  Now, they have to be paid employees, making minimum wage, and no longer have to pay to earn their tips. God knows they were already being used, so why in the world anyone thought they could be charged to work I have no idea.  

That's how hairdressers generally work. They pay for their chair space and a percentage of sales go to the house, sometimes as much as half of their sales. And yes, you're supposed to tip them too.
For us the problem isn't as much that we have a subminimum wage, but that it never increases, and when it does, it's by pennies. They set the subminimum wage in the first place in the 80's when the regular minimum wage increased to $3.15. We stayed at $1.95. When the regular wage increased to $5.15, we went to $2.05, and now it's $2.13 (Wisconsin's is slightly higher at $2.33). The last increase was in 1991. That would be swell if I were still paying 1991 prices for everything.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jun. 09 2013, 1:50 pm)
Exhibit A for the case that it is human nature to choose personal advantage over mutual benefit.

But isn't altruism a classic case of egoism?

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
46 replies since Jun. 07 2013, 8:06 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wal-Mart's low wages drive employees
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions