2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The "Red Line" has been crossed, Syria< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 9:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Honestly... who didn't see this coming?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22899289

At least now we know why the Administration was so angry with Russia sending anti-aircraft missiles to Syria (despite the fact that the rebels don't have airplanes).

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oy.  Great.

Does anyone honestly see any way that this is going to turn out well?  Really?

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't put it past the anti-Assad forces using sarin on their own people in hopes of gaining support from the international community.

Either way, I can't see this getting better anytime soon.  And we do not need to delve deeper in to another conflict in the middle east.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ugly.  Just as ugly, really, as Sherman's famous stint to 'make Georgia howl'.

In the end, this does not justify intervention on our part.  After all, who there is our champion?  Right, we don't have one.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now Syrian officers are defecting
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article3791863.ece

US troops on Syrian border

Hope.  Change.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 14 2013, 5:11 pm)

Do you think it would be any different had McCain been elected?  I do, our troops would be far beyond the border.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patriot battery and its security detail is just a tad different than a multi-division ground invasion force.

Damn straight "change".
 Post Number: 9
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The President's options are all lousy.

I'm grateful that Obama will be picking one instead of McCain or Romney, not to mention George W.  (OK, I mentioned him).

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that it is interesting that there has been so much restraint. Israel has only launched a couple of missiles. Turkey didn't go ballistic when they were shot at. Putin just looks like a bigger prick then ever. Iran voted in a moderate.

I don't think that I would be opposed to a few well placed cruise missiles, but McCain has already demonstrated how easy it would be to support someone as bad or worse in terms of our interests.

It seems like history has panned out well for Bosnia, but we can only speculate how it might have turned out had NATO intervened sooner. Likewise, how much better would things be in Rwanda had anyone intervened. There is a certain amount of reconciliation needed between the questions, "Am I my brother's keeper?" and "Are we obliged to be the policeman of the world?" Few of us would stand idly by and watch a rape, but no one relishes the unexpected consequences of interfering with a civil war.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The largest effector of "change" for Syria just may turn onto be the Iranian voter.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 15 2013, 11:34 am)
The largest effector of "change" for Syria just may turn onto be the Iranian voter.

+1
Hopefully that proves to be good news for the entire region.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jun. 15 2013, 11:39 am)
+1
Hopefully that proves to be good news for the entire region.

Dammit!  Just when I am planning a visit...  

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This fraught with danger.  I hope our politial leaders have studied their history.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jun. 15 2013, 1:01 pm)
This fraught with danger.  I hope our politial leaders have studied their history.

Doubt it.  It's still "American exceptionalism".  We know best because we are the best -- and all that...

--------------
14 replies since Jun. 14 2013, 9:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The "Red Line" has been crossed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions