2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Detroit - Militaristic Cops Shoot Child, But at least the TV ratings are good< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 2:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This type of thing seems to be a growing trend. Cops performing urban military-style assaults and things go horribly wrong.

Obviously, the cop who pulled the trigger is culpable, but why are they being placed in these situations to begin with? What ever happened to surrounding a house and saying "Come out with your arms up"? Or God forbid, wait for the perp to leave the house. And what's with the camera crew?

I wonder if the residents of Detroit feel more threatened by their police force, their Muslim neighbors in Dearborn, or a middle-eastern terrorist?

DETROIT (AP) — Beneath a multi-colored quilt of Disney cartoon characters, 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones lay peacefully on the living room couch of her grandmother's first-floor flat on Detroit's east side.

Mertilla Jones lay at the other end, having recently put the girl to sleep.

Within seconds — maybe as few as three — a stun grenade smashed through a window, exploding over the couch. Armed, black-clad and masked police officers swarmed into the living room and, moments later, Aiyana lay bleeding to death with a gunshot wound to her head.

For members of the Detroit police special response team, the May 2010 nighttime raid on the two-family flat on Lillibridge was one of hundreds they had taken part in as a unit. This time they were being shadowed by a crew from the reality TV show, "The First 48."

[Jones testified] "They knew there were children in there. So why would they come in there like that? They came to kill, and they killed a 7-year-old."

http://news.yahoo.com/grandmo....15.html

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Violence begets violence.

Shocking at first... but do it enough and it becomes ordinary in every sense.  And I am not just talking about law enforcement.  I fear we have become, collectively, a violent society - a vicious cycle...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or afraid of guys that kill 17 year olds outside convenience stores "after a dispute"?

"Two days before the raid 17-year-old Je'rean Blake was standing outside a neighborhood convenience store when he was shot to death following a dipute."

Potential hostage situation or go in agressively and arrest the suspect without allowing a suspected murderer the opportunity to take hostages and threaten additonal lives? Actually I'd think it's when the only person is in the house is the suspect that police can afford to wait them out and so not endanger any officers either. With an isolated suspect the situation is contained, once there are potential hostages it's far more dangerous.

A very difficult call.

That said the officer shouldn't be pointing his firearm at or near a seven year old so getting his gun  "grabbed" should at worst result in a hole in a room wall.... adults are at least potential threats so an unintentional dischage that hits an adult has a bit of basis, but not a child. He could as easily shot a team mate with that sort of inadequate control over where he was pointing his firearm it seems to me.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems to me that an aggressive armed assault would be more likely to result an armed response. But that's what makes for good TV, right?

--------------
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, I am guessing the ratings will jump for 48 Hours.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 3:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let a jury sort it out. A prison sentence might be deserved, and the risk of punishment for killing innocent kids, might well sharpen the skills and judgement of the people that practice such tactics as a means of reducing crime.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 7
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pitiful excuse by the cops.....another idiot with his booger hook on the bang switch

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 8
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This happened here several years ago and emotions ran pretty high afterwards. Detroit is so dysfunctional, it's impossible to point a finger at any person or organization in particular. The former mayor is in jail, potentially for the next few decades. Half the city council should be, as well. The child who was killed was the only blameless one in the whole fiasco.

Personally, I have very little sympathy for the girl's family. They were harboring a man wanted for murder. There really wasn't any question that he'd shot and killed a guy. Both the mother and the grandmother put that child in a situation that had zero chance of a good outcome. I think they failed her completely. I'm not at all condoning what the cops did but, imo, their biggest crime was lying about what happened, not the shooting itself.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If only every home had rocket propelled grenades, the violence would decline.  :p

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 10
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally I think that shoulder fired anti-aircraft missiles would make us REALLY safe.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jun. 16 2013, 11:04 am)
Personally, I have very little sympathy for the girl's family. They were harboring a man wanted for murder.

I had those feelings, too. Probably one of the best ways to avoid a para-military raid at your residence is to not harbor a wanted murderer.

--------------
10 replies since Jun. 14 2013, 2:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Detroit - Militaristic Cops Shoot Child
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions