2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Above the law: America's worst charities, Every year, it spends less than 3 cents< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 4:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fifty charities collected $970.6 million from generous Americans. Only about $49.1 million in direct cash actually went to the needy. How is this possible? CNN partners with the Tampa Bay Times and the Center for Investigative Reporting.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/us/worst-charities/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's disgusting!
 Post Number: 3
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This has been big news here in Tampa. See http://www.tampabay.com/

My mother was one caught by some of these "charities".  She had dementia and would give money to the smooth talker all to frequent.  They would call her weekly and send volumes of request over and over again from the same "charities" I was able to stop it once I found out.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good job Roger!

And these are the folks who lead the chorus in deriding waste in government.

There is certainly plenty of waste, but not blatant theft from the poor and the elderly.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jun. 14 2013, 6:39 pm)
....[A]nd these are the folks who lead the chorus in deriding waste in government.

There is certainly plenty of waste, but not blatant theft from the poor and the elderly.

Maybe, maybe not.   But I wonder just how much of our tax dollars earmarked for the needy are effectively siphoned off by middle class administrators and consultants??  Not saying they are not critical pieces to the programs, but wondering about efficiency just the same.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Add the Color Me Rad races to that list.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 7
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps the IRS would have more time to ferret out these bad actors if they weren't so busy targeting conservative groups

There are plenty of "legitimate" charities that only trickle the money through layer after layer of administrative vampires.....very much like our govt.

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 17 2013, 11:29 am)
Perhaps the IRS would have more time to ferret out these bad actors if they weren't so busy targeting conservative groups

This really has nothing to do with the IRS.  A charity can very-poorly manage its money, siphon it to its founders and board members in salaries while providing very little actual charity, and still not technically break any tax laws, as long as they report it honestly.  The IRS wouldn't have a way to intervene.  Other levels of gov't can file suit if they're misleading donors, but that's separate from the IRS.

But nice try linking it to those poor little Tea Party groups. :laugh:  As if one has anything at all to do with the other.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
7 replies since Jun. 14 2013, 4:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Above the law: America's worst charities
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions