2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Nationwide drug roadblocks raise eyebrows< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 2:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

- The roadblocks went up on a Friday at several points in two Alabama towns, about 40 miles on either side of Birmingham.

For the next two days, off-duty sheriff's deputies in St. Clair County, to the east, and Bibb County, to the southwest, flagged down motorists and steered them toward federal highway safety researchers. The researchers asked them a few questions about drinking and drug use and asked them for breath, saliva and blood samples -- offering them $10 for saliva and $50 to give blood.
http://www.cnn.com/2013....t=hp_c2
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"It was all voluntary. Nobody was made to participate or anything like that," Lawrence said. "They could just answer the little 10 survey questions and then leave, or they could answer the questions and give the mouth sample, or they could do it all."

Voluntary? How voluntary is it when a driver is apparently required to answer the 10 questions?

I don't use drugs of any kind (including alcohol) but I'd still tell them to blow it out their @$$.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 1:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well it's "voluntary" when they can simply drive away after declining to participate. Which is reported in the piece.
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds to me like some law enforcement agencies have decided to exploit the weak minded drug users a little further.

It has been true for years that many drivers give permission to search their vehicle when stopped, even though drugs and drug paraphernalia are readily evident in the vehicle!!

Drives defense attorneys insane, but at the same time keeps many of them employed.  Not to mention all the LEOs and Court personnel involved.  Can be looked at as economic stimulus, I suppose.

These folks are just widening the net a bit!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems like a waste of time to me. Are there no crimes being committed in Alabama?

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 19 2013, 11:42 pm)
Well it's "voluntary" when they can simply drive away after declining to participate. Which is reported in the piece.

The part I quoted implies a driver has to answer the 10 questions when stopped even if the rest is declined.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Strikes me that would should be "voluntary" is the initial stop. By what authority are these off duty deputies setting up a roadblock?

Maybe the better model are those charity car washes? Have some roadside signs and allow passing motorists to choose whether they will interrupt their travels in the first place. Then there's no imposition at all.

Heck have schools run it and give them the money. I expect the cheer squads would do a better job of getting good numbers of participants when it came down to it.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the cheer squads would do a better job

So signs saying "Voluntary Traffic Survey" held by nubile young virgins in skimpy clothing?

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jun. 21 2013, 4:09 am)
the cheer squads would do a better job

So signs saying "Voluntary Traffic Survey" held by nubile young virgins in skimpy clothing?

Exactly.

:)

Heck even nubile young offduty deputies, just not erecting a roadblock....
8 replies since Jun. 19 2013, 2:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Nationwide drug roadblocks raise eyebrows
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions