2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rick does Manhattan< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 2:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gov Perry is in New York trying to convince business to move to Texas.  

What he should be doing is studying New York's water resource management, which is a major reason we have a 6 million acre park.

There may not be any personal income tax in Texas, but there ain't any water either.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry extends drought emergency in most of state
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rick Perry has many faults, but blaming the drought in Texas on him is stretching just a little.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jun. 19 2013, 5:19 pm)
Rick Perry has many faults, but blaming the drought in Texas on him is stretching just a little.

I ain't blaming the drought on him.  But he needs to pay attention to Texas' problems.  Drought being one of them.  He'd better serve his constituents using his time in NY to study water resource management instead of running for president on his governorship time.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're happy to have him in New York, less likely he'll screw something up here.

Once his rich developer friends tell him they need water for all the new homes they want to build it will become a priority for him.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd be worried that he might buy a bridge while he's there.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.slate.com/blogs....rk.html

Jealousy is never pretty...NY wishes it could be Texas

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 7
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jun. 21 2013, 6:46 am)
http://www.slate.com/blogs....rk.html

Jealousy is never pretty...NY wishes it could be Texas

I disagree. I don't think there is jealousy. In fact, I'll bet that they are overjoyed when their dirty and polluting manufacturing plants relocate and take their blue collar workers to Texas.

From your link:

But if New York and New Jersey and California and Maryland and Massachusetts don't want to allow the construction of lots of housing units, then it won't matter that Brooklyn, N.Y.; and Palo Alto, Calif.; and Somerville, Mass.; are great places to live—people are going to live in Texas, where there are also great places to live, great places that actually welcome new residents and new building.

You did not consider that MAYBE New York and New Jersey and California and Maryland and Massachusetts DON'T want new residents and new buildings.

The leaders and wealthy people in those places ALREADY have a great place to live and DON'T NEED the economic opportunity offered by Texas. They like it when the dirty and polluting manufacturing industries move away and take the working class population with them.
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The climate in Texas is so different than New York I doubt a study in one state would have any practical lessons in the other.
 Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jun. 19 2013, 12:55 pm)
Gov Perry is in New York trying to convince business to move to Texas.  

What he should be doing is studying New York's water resource management, which is a major reason we have a 6 million acre park.

There may not be any personal income tax in Texas, but there ain't any water either.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry extends drought emergency in most of state

The property taxes are relatively sky-high though and more municipal govt are raising rental car and hotel taxes (tho that may be everywhere).  

NY has been advertising in the TX market for biz, but the western drought is no joke, currently being just a little west of mainland TX myself.  It's not a 1-for-1 relationship, so it will take more than 1year of rain to replace a year of drought.  

Seriously, all NY needs to do is run some ads with Niagara Falls on either side of monsoon (rainy) season and say move to Buffalo!

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texas, it's like a whole other 3rd world country. I guess companies that don't care about the safety of their workers would be psyched on Texas.

I agree on the water NG. I'll never forget being in New York City as a boy and finding out to my complete surprise that the Big Apple has some of the best water in the world.

The Six Million Acre Park thing though is incredibly bogus in my admittedly biased opinion. Isn't only half of the land within the Blue Line actually undeveloped? Are there any even 100,000 acre uninterrupted tracts? Certainly not in the High Peaks, I know that from hiking a lot of those when I was in boarding school. Still an incredibly beautiful place, just  abit misrepresented IMO.

I'm just being an a__ NG. When Texas goes blue here very soon it will indeed move into the 20th Century and a lot more people will move there.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jun. 22 2013, 11:46 am)
When Texas goes blue here very soon it will indeed move into the 20th Century and a lot more people will move there.

I hope not, the traffic on I-10 between Houston and San Antonio was bad today

--------------
 Post Number: 12
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You may not be able to blame Texas for the drought but you may blame them for the lack of ground water.

A good friend and her husband just moved back to CA from Texas and they said bottled water was provided by the oil company's because they had polluted the ground water and the water table dropped so low their wells went dry due to all the water needed for drilling.

Interesting side note, they were also pissed that they couldn't go out and fire their guns because most of the land was owned by the oil company's and they weren't allowed access. Here she only has to drive a mile or so to practice...I can shoot in my back yard if I want.

I'm sure there are many places you can shoot in Texas, they're just not as accessible as you would think I guess.

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you try to kill the goose that lays the golden egg then what do you expect?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
12 replies since Jun. 19 2013, 2:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rick does Manhattan
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions