2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Another Family Kept Safe by the Gun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 5:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You just can't have better protection for your young children than keeping a gun handy, neh?

A 6-month-old girl was fatally shot Wednesday while her parents were involved in a domestic dispute, authorities said.

The incident occurred in Knoxville, Tenn., the Knox County Sheriff's Office said.

The parents, Angela Major and Ken Mason, have been charged with reckless homicide and each is being held on a $1 million bond, the office said Thursday.

A handgun was used in the shooting, but it is not known what kind, how many rounds were fired or where the child was shot.

Detectives and the Department of Children Services were investigating

http://www.news4jax.com/news....ex.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Andrea Yates did it 5x that with a bathtub.

I have no objection with trying to keep idiots from getting guns with a pre-ownership background check and waiting period.  I have no problem with aggressive post-ownership review when issues arise.

But we can never be certain that every mother will use a bathtub appropriately.
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But we can never be certain that every mother will use a bathtub appropriately.

Who needs a bathtub? Google "mother drowns kid" for an astonishing number of links for mothers killing their kid/s using any source of water they can find. Not to mention suffocation with pillows or just plain beating them to death.

How about requiring testing to find out if a person will be an acceptable parent instead? Sterilization for failing.In the OP case, that couple shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montanalonewolf
How about requiring testing to find out if a person will be an acceptable parent instead? Sterilization for failing.In the OP case, that couple shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

+1 ..... That's a good point!

But I disagree about the sterilization part - too extreme. A less permanent solution is probably enough.

But at least a background check should be required before parents are allowed to have kids.

--------------
watch "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
 Post Number: 5
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jun. 21 2013, 8:33 am)
But I disagree about the sterilization part - too extreme. A less permanent solution is probably enough.

But at least a background check should be required before parents are allowed to have kids.

Sounds fascistic, but as an adoptive parent, I've come to agree, at least in principle.  We went through background checks, home studies, financial reports, psychological exams, etc.  It was a brutal process, but I constantly reminded myself that it was all for the protection of the children to be adopted.  Among many other things, we were required to have a gun safe for our firearms.  I don't know of any good solution, I only know that there are way too many people having children who are incapable of taking care of themselves, let alone a child.  Unfortunately, I would never trust any government agency to regulate this process either.
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That poor little girl was pretty much doomed from birth.  They just put her out of her misery.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People Getting Dumber? Human Intelligence Has Declined Since Victorian Era

Research SuggestsOur technology may be getting smarter, but a provocative new study suggests human intelligence is on the decline. In fact, it indicates that Westerners have lost 14 I.Q. points on average since the Victorian Era.

What exactly explains this decline? Study co-author Dr. Jan te Nijenhuis, professor of work and organizational psychology at the University of Amsterdam, points to the fact that women of high intelligence tend to have fewer children than do women of lower intelligence. This negative association between I.Q. and fertility has been demonstrated time and again in research over the last century.

more

--------------

Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Except that, IQ is not an inheritable trait.  Other than that, what you quote is pretty much correct.  ~  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best tangent fail thread ever !!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, I needed that!

Surely we can get a couple more good branches yet, neh?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 11
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some will live.  Some will die.
Sibelius

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually, all will die.

Nature

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Jun. 21 2013, 8:16 pm)
Best tangent fail thread ever !!

The point is that some parents will murder their kids by any available means, a gun isn't necessary. But guns are targeted because removing them will prevent some deaths while the root cause... mentally unfit to even be a parent... is mostly ignored.

--------------

Post Number: 14
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jun. 21 2013, 8:33 am)
Montanalonewolf

+1 ..... That's a good point!

That should do it....since I heard that 1 in 28 families have one incarcerated parent.

But what do you do if someone has a kid anyway???

Lock them up and throw away the child?

hard to believe that you can have kids with no background check, no waiting period (other than gestation) no training requirement....you can have all you want with no limitation on their features.

And heck...you can even kill them as long as you do it before they arrive

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
13 replies since Jun. 20 2013, 5:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Another Family Kept Safe by the Gun
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions