2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I don't understand people like, Paula Deen< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having had her intimate moments revealed, reviled, and litigated why hasn't she sacked the lot of them and gone back to counting her money.  You apologize when you have to ore when you WANT to.

I'm not one for hair shirts and self-flagellation.  Regardless of the press it gets.

And Savannah society will probably drop her for her weakness.

You don't know Savannah.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got to see that movie "Midnight in the Garden of...." again, it was awesome.

Racism and bigotry are generally a disease of inheritance. She is one ugly woman well beneath her horrific exterior.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've spent a lot of time in Savannah.  The movie is not a dramatization.  It really is that weird.  I love it like no place else on earth.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The heart of root medicine country is right around Savannah.
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had to Google who you were talking about.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the video of her deposition where she admits to using the n word in the 1960's:
Paula Deen Admits Using N Word

"A former manager at Deen's restaurants in Savannah, Georgia, is suing her and her brother for sexual and racial harassment."

The article points out that the lawsuit is by a former employee. "LIsa T. Jackson's lawsuit alleges that Deen and Bubba Hier committed numerous acts of violence, discrimination and racism that resulted in the end of her five-year employment at Deen's Lady & Sons and Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House eateries in Savannah."

Lisa Jackson was general manager for Hiers’ seafood house from August 2005 until she quit on Aug. 19, 2010.

Jackson stands to get a lot of money if her lawsuit is successful. The fact that Deen did not deny that she had ever used the n word in her life gives a big boost to Jackson's lawsuit - even if it was 30 or 40 or even 50 years ago.

Deen's firing from the Food Network demonstrates that using the n word or slurs about the mentally ill or racial slurs against Hispanics or other immigrants can come back to haunt you many years later - unless you choose to lie in the deposition. Whether the restaurant loses the lawsuit or not, Deen's career as a celebrity chef is over.

My guess is that she wishes that she had lied.
 Post Number: 7
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Used to watch some of the cooking shows...until they turned into 'contests'. Yuk...can't stand 'em any more.

Saw parts of her 'apology' (Why wasn't I impressed?).
 Post Number: 8
Squaretop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I must be missing something here.  Who is going to throw the first stone as to using racist language at some point in their life?  Even if it was fifty years ago and you didn't know better.  And what about the other side of the coin?  Whatever happens to the likes of Rev. Wright, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson,  Louis Farrahkan, etc. Nothing.   The question was asked and she told the truth.  Gasp.  Would you?

--------------
You can't buy time or memories.
"How'd I get involved".
 Post Number: 9
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Squaretop @ Jun. 23 2013, 8:14 am)
I must be missing something here.  Who is going to throw the first stone as to using racist language at some point in their life?  Even if it was fifty years ago and you didn't know better.  And what about the other side of the coin?  Whatever happens to the likes of Rev. Wright, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson,  Louis Farrahkan, etc. Nothing.   The question was asked and she told the truth.  Gasp.  Would you?

Right, because we've all been accused of having a pattern and practice of racial harassment at some point in our lives, amirite?

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 10
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who need's a legal system?

Conviction in the court of public opinion is much quicker and easier.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 11
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jun. 23 2013, 1:46 pm)

Whether or not one keeps their job at The Food Network has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

The celebrity chefs on their shows aren't just chefs--they're lifestyle icons. They are selling an image, and now that Paula Deen is radically different form the image they are selling, of course they're going to fire her. Duh.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Squaretop @ Jun. 23 2013, 10:14 am)

No. Any lawyer would tell you that the proper way to answer the question is to say, "No, I don't recall ever using the n word."

Answering that way would have meant that even if Jackson's lawyers produced a playmate of Deen's from the 1960's that Deen could simply state that she didn't recall that incident.

The "I don't recall" phrase is a good way to answer such questions. It is possible that you really don't remember. So who can PROVE that you lied?
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard this joke on an internet comedy radio station - altered here to fit the subject of discussion:

Paula Dean likes to be around black men because they think her a** is small.

I'll bet Paula doesn't think that;s funny, but not because of the dig about black women.
 Post Number: 14
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, does that mean that the entire cast and crew of "Blazing Saddles" should be run out of town on a rail? Including Cleavon Little, though to tell a family secret, apparently his grandma was Dutch. 1974 wasn't so long ago, was it?
BTW, this is not to condone racism or racial slurs, but as I believe Ms. Deen said, it was a different world a few decades back.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Jun. 23 2013, 10:52 pm)
So, does that mean that the entire cast and crew of "Blazing Saddles" should be run out of town on a rail? Including Cleavon Little, though to tell a family secret, apparently his grandma was Dutch. 1974 wasn't so long ago, was it?
BTW, this is not to condone racism or racial slurs, but as I believe Ms. Deen said, it was a different world a few decades back.

You're aware that whether or not she said "nigger" 40 years ago is not the issue here, right? The allegations are that there was a years-long pattern of mistreatment of employees, right?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jun. 23 2013, 11:06 pm)

You're aware that whether or not she said "nigger" 40 years ago is not the issue here, right? The allegations are that there was a years-long pattern of mistreatment of employees, right?

To clarify:

Her admission that she had used the n word when asked, "Have you ever used the n word?" is the reason for her firing by the Food Network and the current media circus around her.

This admission was during a deposition pertaining to the lawsuit against a business she owns an interest in. But it has produced public outrage against her that she admitted to using the word as recently as 30 years ago. The lawsuit alleges racism and mistreatment of employees by the business. But the media directed outrage is because she admitted to ever using the n word.

The lesson is that slurs against the mentally ill, homosexuals, immigrants, people of a different sex or race, etc can come back to haunt you 30, 40, or even 50 years later.
 Post Number: 17
Land Rover Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jun. 23 2013, 7:12 pm)

(Chuck D @ Jun. 23 2013, 1:46 pm)

Whether or not one keeps their job at The Food Network has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

The celebrity chefs on their shows aren't just chefs--they're lifestyle icons. They are selling an image, and now that Paula Deen is radically different form the image they are selling, of course they're going to fire her. Duh.

Bingo. Old southern racist is not the image they are looking for.

Her product is also well past it's sell-by date as well - then you have the diabetes thing.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jun. 24 2013, 6:41 am)
To clarify:

Her admission that she had used the n word when asked, "Have you ever used the n word?" is the reason for her firing by the Food Network and the current media circus around her.

This admission was during a deposition pertaining to the lawsuit against a business she owns an interest in. But it has produced public outrage against her that she admitted to using the word as recently as 30 years ago. The lawsuit alleges racism and mistreatment of employees by the business. But the media directed outrage is because she admitted to ever using the n word.

The lesson is that slurs against the mentally ill, homosexuals, immigrants, people of a different sex or race, etc can come back to haunt you 30, 40, or even 50 years later.

I call BS on that.

Context is everything. If, absent of the context of the lawsuit, she admitted to using that word 30 years ago, no one would care much.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jun. 24 2013, 5:46 am)

(Bass @ Jun. 24 2013, 6:41 am)
To clarify:

I call BS on that.

Context is everything. If, absent of the context of the lawsuit, she admitted to using that word 30 years ago, no one would care much.

Exactly. Her use of the word just serves as a focal point for all of the racially insensitive behavior surrounding it.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 20
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jun. 23 2013, 7:12 pm)

(Squaretop @ Jun. 23 2013, 10:14 am)

No. Any lawyer would tell you that the proper way to answer the question is to say, "No, I don't recall ever using the n word."

Answering that way would have meant that even if Jackson's lawyers produced a playmate of Deen's from the 1960's that Deen could simply state that she didn't recall that incident.

The "I don't recall" phrase is a good way to answer such questions. It is possible that you really don't remember. So who can PROVE that you lied?

Yes, but if the same lawyer produces a dozen reliable witnesses that testify that you did say it, then you look like (and are) a liar.
 Post Number: 21
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm also betting that the cost of her new contract had a big part in this decision, it gave the network an easy out rather than dropping her because of price of her contract.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 22
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

I'm wondering why she lost a lot of her deep South accent during her 'apologies'...!! :cool:
 Post Number: 23
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:52 pm)
Having had her intimate moments revealed, reviled, and litigated why hasn't she sacked the lot of them and gone back to counting her money.  You apologize when you have to ore when you WANT to.

I'm not one for hair shirts and self-flagellation.  Regardless of the press it gets.

And Savannah society will probably drop her for her weakness.

You don't know Savannah.

You probably never will.

There is, at the very least, some reassurance (for me) of the relative freedom of individuals in this country that I can come here, to the forums, and see examples of all of the most ridiculous and backward ideas expressed.

Yes, she got fired, but that was probably more because "The Food Network" was protecting their "bottom line" - since she is being sued. If you grew up in the South and have never used the "n word", ever - you are very unusual.

These things take more time than anyone believes, and are "genetic" in that we get a lot of our cultural atttitudes from the "old people" (who have really bad attitudes) who raise us. It's a fault of the system. Personally, I don't see much wrong with it, but YMMV. My dad was a "racist", but there was no one he couldn't get along with. Most people are like that. Nothing too hard to understand, IMHO.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm almost 50. I grew up in the north (Detroit). Sad to say, that word was in fairly regular usage when I was in grade school.

Again, if the only thing here were her admitting to using that word as recently as thirty years ago, it would be met with a collective yawn by the public and by Food Network. It's only an issue because it's part of an allegedly much larger pattern of behavior on her part.
 Post Number: 25
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

196_ - Paula Deen uses the N word
2008 - Obama believes marriage is between a man and a woman
2009 - Obama likens his weak bowling skills to the "Special Olympics"
2013 - Bill Maher calls Sarah Palin's kid a retard

And we're all focused on Paula Deen?  Either people can change or they can't.  Much like Obama came around on the issue of gay marriage, I suspect Paula Deen "came around" on use of the N word over the last 50 years and this lawsuit is a money-grab by a disgruntled employee.

IMO, our first "lady" is more racist than any other public figure I can think of.  But it doesn't count since she's black, right?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 26
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMO, our first "lady" is more racist than any other public figure I can think of.

Really? What does she do that is racist in your opinion, other than having black skin, I mean?

Food nutrition for school children?  Gardening??  Campaigning for her black husband?  Being an attractive black woman?  Being voted one of the best dressed women in America?  Getting her hair cut?

Please share with us, what is it??

Meanwhile, have you checked out these public figures and their comments with regard to racial stereotypes?

Republicans who keep saying that the GOP isn’t racist should ask themselves, why is it that racists today are almost always Republican?

When South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley announced her statewide steering committee, it was noted that Cuban-American member, Roan Garcia-Quintana, had ties to the Council of Conservative Citizens. (Garcia-Quintana was asked to resign by Haley after some of his comments surfaced, Haley said there was no room for “racially divisive rhetoric).  The CCC states one of their key principles is their opposition to “all efforts to mix the races of mankind”.

So let’s go with racist assumptions for a bit and accept that, as Heritage Foundation’s now unemployed eugenics economist Jason Richwine writes on page 74 of his dissertation, “The racial rank order of these differences is almost always the same, with whites intermediate and Asians and blacks at the extremes.  For example, magnetic resonance imaging has shown that Asians have larger brains than whites, who have larger brains than blacks.”

Well, fine if you insist. Then why is it that these smart Asians voted overwhelmingly for President Obama in 2012? Probably because you don’t have to be a genius to figure out the GOP’s Pavlovian enterprise, and Republicans who genuinely believe in the libertarian sound bites, like “illegal is illegal”, should ask why the Pew Research Center found that 67% of libertarians are male and 85% are white.

The answer is simple enough. The Democrats have done more to integrate Asians into positions of power within their party, and Republicans have done a great job reminding Asians that the foundation of GOP power lies in preserving the privileges of white males.

Meanwhile, the racial rot within the GOP runs deep. Garcia-Quintana’s biography states that he once worked for Ronald Reagan’s infamous pollster, Lee Atwater.  Atwater, who grew up in South Carolina, was an architect of the Southern Strategy, a marketing shell game that used coded language to win over racist voters without sounding racist.

http://nbclatino.com/2013/06/01/opinion-racism-and-the-gop/

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 27
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Incidentally, why did you put "lady" in quotation marks??  Do you have evidence that Michelle Obama is not a lady, or are you implying something else??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Jun. 24 2013, 7:49 pm)
IMO, our first "lady" is more racist than any other public figure I can think of.  But it doesn't count since she's black, right?

Wow. Racist much?

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Jun. 24 2013, 9:49 pm)
196_ - Paula Deen uses the N word
2008 - Obama believes marriage is between a man and a woman
2009 - Obama likens his weak bowling skills to the "Special Olympics"
2013 - Bill Maher calls Sarah Palin's kid a retard

And we're all focused on Paula Deen?  Either people can change or they can't.  Much like Obama came around on the issue of gay marriage, I suspect Paula Deen "came around" on use of the N word over the last 50 years and this lawsuit is a money-grab by a disgruntled employee.

+1

People seem to be losing sight of the fact that this lawsuit is a money-grab by a disgruntled employee.

The link that I posted earlier, Paula Deen Admits Using the n Word, is from her disposition. The media has taken her admission of using the n word in the distant past ( at least 30 years ago ) and painted a picture of her as a CURRENTLY raving racist. Lisa Jackson's lawsuit stands to gain from this.
 Post Number: 30
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, does that mean that the entire cast and crew of "Blazing Saddles" should be run out of town on a rail?

Not the entire cast; just the little old lady who said "Up yours, nig***!"

BTW, that movie was parody with an anti-racist message (if there was any message at all).

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
50 replies since Jun. 22 2013, 12:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I don't understand people like
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions