2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Texans?, At least they know how to filibuster!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 11:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politic....ry.html

"Wendy Davis strode onto the floor of the Texas Senate chamber on Tuesday in rouge-red running shoes, and came off it early Wednesday morning as the Democratic Party’s newest star.

During 13 hours in between, the little-known legislator from Fort Worth delivered a filibuster that electrified social media and stopped passage of one of the nation’s toughest set of abortion restrictions in the waning hours of a special session...."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We already knew Texans were good at talking.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 2:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The shoes were pink. And they skipped the part where they tried resetting the time stamp on the vote (illegally) to register the vote before midnight and social media exploded. Pretty exciting stuff.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 4
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exciting indeed, and a rare bright spot in Texas politics.  Unfortunately, the victory will be very short-lived.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, they've already called another special session. I do have to say, at least Texas is following the rules. Here in Wisconsin they close the Capitol, vote in the middle of the night and don't even allow debate of bills presented anymore. They tried to cheat, don't get me wrong, but we're hardly even going through the motions anymore.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The vote on mandatory ultrasounds, in case you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...._player

--------------
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Jun. 27 2013, 2:49 pm)
Yeah, they've already called another special session. I do have to say, at least Texas is following the rules. Here in Wisconsin they close the Capitol, vote in the middle of the night and don't even allow debate of bills presented anymore. They tried to cheat, don't get me wrong, but we're hardly even going through the motions anymore.

Gotta love Scott Walker and his republican cronies. :p

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 2:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's going to be making a run for the White House. Ready?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You bet!  Almost as good having Sarah Palin run.  The death march continues.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will Sarah Palin pick Scott Walker or Rick Perry as her running mate?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 11
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jun. 29 2013, 7:31 pm)

It's scary to think that any running mate she chooses will almost certainly be smarter, more informed about several issues, and an overall better candidate.  Her spleen must serve double duty as her brain.  Or maybe it's her gall bladder.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jun. 30 2013, 10:15 am)

It's scary to think that any running mate she chooses will almost certainly be smarter, more informed about several issues, and an overall better candidate.  Her spleen must serve double duty as her brain.  Or maybe it's her gall bladder.

Well that's good news eh? Then when she pulls a "Palin" and cuts and runs from the job as too hard, which with the presidency would be on day two, there'll be an improvement in the Oval.
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 30 2013, 1:51 pm)

Well that's good news eh? Then when she pulls a "Palin" and cuts and runs from the job as too hard, which with the presidency would be on day two, there'll be an improvement in the Oval.

Exactly my point, scary as it is.  If that's good news, Lord save us from bad news.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dewhurst announced they'll be watching video of the session and making whatever arrests possible. Politics is a full contact sport these days. Here they arrested women for sitting silently in the gallery. They had tape over their mouths to symbolize their lack of say in the matter, they were told they would be arrested if they didn't remove the tape.  They removed the tape and placed their hands over their mouths... and they arrested two whole rows of the gallery, including people that weren't participating.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jun. 30 2013, 11:53 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 30 2013, 1:51 pm)

Exactly my point, scary as it is.  If that's good news, Lord save us from bad news.

Thing being as fun as the prospect of such a train wreck pairing might be I'm never going to forget how close Edwards got to running: any candidacy could blow up a week out from the election and hand the other party a win. So the major parties can't (shouldn't) nominate jokes IMHO.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ones that like him really, REALLY, like him. Then again, some of our most vehement protesters voted for the guy. One couple told me, "You're going to laugh, but we thought this guy was the next Lincoln!" Lincoln?

--------------
 Post Number: 17
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As far as the original topic....anyone remember that....before the fearful left took over!

Best article I have seen of the actual bill

I really like THIS PART

"Wendy Davis opposed a bill that gives women seeking abortions the same level of safety as women seeking LASIK on a Friday afternoon. Should I have feel empowered as a Texas woman that I can currently get a D&E for an unplanned pregnancy at a place with lower standards than where I could get a endoscopy for an acid reflux diagnosis? What is so “pro-woman” about lower health and safety standards for abortions?"

But read the whole thing....which would be good advice for Wendy with regards to the legislation

http://abovethelaw.com/2013....o-woman

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 18
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure Rick Perry (and all those other state leaders pushing this stuff) are really, really concerned about women's health. That just has to be the impetus behind this entire drive to "clean up the abortion business". Of course!
 Post Number: 19
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can anyone imagine BB equipped with a vagina?

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 20
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

How this for "free speech" eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqh7xNdrqM&feature=youtu.be

Removed by Sherrif's

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
19 replies since Jun. 26 2013, 11:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Texans?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions