2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fighting wildfires in Wilderness areas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 5:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, before the other topics in TR get derailed, how about we discuss here what our various opinions are about fighting wildfires?

IMO, if it is a roadless area, we might as well let it burn until Nature brings rain, a shift of the wind, cooler weather, etc...  Too many deaths come from the attempt to fight wildfires.

People who build in heavily wooded areas are advised to make a 50 ft break around their homes to help protect them.  We should not be risking lives to fight fires just to save homes.  Material goods can be replaced.

As for heavier air support, I would agree.  Once the decision has been made to put people in harms way, we need to provide more air support to protect them.

I am not denigrating anyone's choice of occupation.  I just object to losing lives over a loss of trees and homes.  if there was an easy way to fight these fires, we would have discovered it by now.  Nature should be left to enjoy the benefits of fire, without our intervention.  

There, my opinion, and not intended to change anyone else's.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The NPS Wilderness wildfire policy is rather handsoff, which I agree with and support.
http://www.nps.gov/policy/DOrders/DO-18.html

Echoed in Yosemite's park plan: Page 17
"GOAL: IMPLEMENT A FIRE PROGRAM THAT ALLOWS THE NATURAL PROCESS OF FIRE TO
PREVAIL IN THE YOSEMITE WILDERNESS"
 Post Number: 3
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As we've lost 19 fire fighters this week, we certainly need to figure out what, why and how it happened.

I can't say it's bad policy to try and protect private property, but if the fire started naturally, and private property isn't threatened then let it burn would be my vote.

I also agree that home's etc are not worth a life.  Protect them to a point and then let them burn too..

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 4
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you have the right idea.  Firefighters shouldn't have to risk their lives to try and save homes in the trees.  

Building a house in the woods in the western states is asking for trouble, as is building a house near sea level or on a river's flood plain.  My thinking is that if we let private insurance underwriters do their jobs, most people wouldn't consider any of those choices.  Unfortunately, we have the Federal Flood Insurance program which subsidizes stupid building decisions in low lying areas.  

While we don't have Federal Fire Insurance, rest assured that private insurers are going back to the drawing board.  The old mantra of a cleared space around a house doesn't cut it anymore, as the recent Black Forest fire outside of Colorado Springs showed once again.  No amount of brush clearing will help when the hot winds decide that houses are going up in flames.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 7:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Building a house in the woods is one thing, building a house in a red zone is quite another.

I don't think we should be asking people to risk their lives fighting fires in red zones.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=274691
 Post Number: 6
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Jul. 02 2013, 5:50 pm)
I think you have the right idea.  Firefighters shouldn't have to risk their lives to try and save homes in the trees.  

Building a house in the woods in the western states is asking for trouble, as is building a house near sea level or on a river's flood plain.  My thinking is that if we let private insurance underwriters do their jobs, most people wouldn't consider any of those choices.  Unfortunately, we have the Federal Flood Insurance program which subsidizes stupid building decisions in low lying areas.  

While we don't have Federal Fire Insurance, rest assured that private insurers are going back to the drawing board.  The old mantra of a cleared space around a house doesn't cut it anymore, as the recent Black Forest fire outside of Colorado Springs showed once again.  No amount of brush clearing will help when the hot winds decide that houses are going up in flames.

I agree....You always hear about people losing their homes and how tragic it was because they could not get flood insurance

Because it was a stupid place to build a house!

Arson is a little different than natural fires, but in general I think you should evacuate and rescue but let them burn themselves out.

I have a friend that has a tree service and he always gets calls for mitigation AFTER a bad fire.....nobody wants to cut down the pretty trees until after the fire

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree.

I lived on a small Caribbean island for years and dealt with hurricanes every year.  Insurance wasn't a realistic option.  We just accepted it as the price for living there.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For what it's worth, I also agree with the popular opinion in this thread (I never thought I'd see the day when a TPA thread came in with general across-the-aisle agreement).  Let people build where they may, and let the insurance underwriters do their jobs in assessing the actual statistical risks of them living there.  If people can't afford the insurance, they can either live elsewhere or simply suck it up when the place burns/floods/quakes/etc.

Either way, I agree with the general opinion that firefighters needn't be involved and put at risk just to save houses.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 03 2013, 11:28 am)
 If people can't afford the insurance, they can either live elsewhere or simply suck it up when the place burns/floods/quakes/etc.

Exactly

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 03 2013, 8:28 am)
For what it's worth, I also agree with the popular opinion in this thread (I never thought I'd see the day when a TPA thread came in with general across-the-aisle agreement).  Let people build where they may, and let the insurance underwriters do their jobs in assessing the actual statistical risks of them living there.  If people can't afford the insurance, they can either live elsewhere or simply suck it up when the place burns/floods/quakes/etc.

Either way, I agree with the general opinion that firefighters needn't be involved and put at risk just to save houses.

just to save houses?

How are rural firefighters all that different in function from urban firefighters who save structures as a routine part of their profession?

Now, just to save trees? Totally unwarranted.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 03 2013, 9:56 am)

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 03 2013, 8:28 am)

just to save houses?

How are rural firefighters all that different in function from urban firefighters who save structures as a routine part of their profession?

Now, just to save trees? Totally unwarranted.

I wouldn't want an urban firefighter to run into a burning home just to save the home.  (Different story if there are children trapped in there, say.)

Although I do get your parallel there, and it is food for thought.  I'll have to chew on that one a bit.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also wildfire fighters don't run "into" their fires either, they largely seek to contain them from beyond the periphery as the fire breaks they seek to construct only function when they are outside the fire zone, which is a close parallel to urban firefighters.

[edited]

Both urban and rural are very dangerous jobs. I still remember my cousin's reaction when one of her son's transferred into the FDNY, totally freaked about concerns for his safety. The job he was moving from? NYPD. Everyone in the family knew exactly why she was concerned.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 03 2013, 10:18 am)
Also wildfire fighters don't run "into" their fires either, they largely seek to contain them, which is a close parallel to urban firefighters

A fair correction.  Yes, you're right.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
12 replies since Jul. 02 2013, 5:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fighting wildfires in Wilderness areas
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions