2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: This is happening in Wisconsin, right now., Heavily armed guards on public land< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
star Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 3:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A number of local citizens have been making frequent inspections of Gogebic Taconite's test drilling sites, they are after all on their land and in close proximity to the LCO Harvest Camp. This is G-Tac's response. Military type guards, hiding in the woods, in close proximity to civilian populations, recreational areas, and a Native encampment.
Open for business, we are.

http://www.bluecheddar.net/?p=33877

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe in response to this?

A small group of protesters wearing black head-coverings slashed tires and damaged equipment owned by GTAC at its exploratory drilling site in June. Damage was estimated at about $2,000 by the Iron County Sheriff.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013....-150310

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That happened months ago, and Bill Williams has since accosted a photographer at an Iron County Board meeting and seized his camera, so I think everyone is pretty even on that score. At any rate, arrests were made, and whatever appropriate charges filed.
I thought that was staged to be honest. But they say these people did pass through the harvest camp the night before, but never stated their intentions. If they had, they would have been deterred, just as other groups that do not espouse non violence have been bebuffed. There has been no such incident since, just visits from elders, and school children, and a geologist or two. That's when they broke out the big guns, literally. I assume the intention is to intimidate. Instead they've overreacted, causing outrage. Congrats. Those geologists by the way are posting pictures of the sulfide producing pyrites the drills are bringing up.The core samples or the 250 earlier ones however are not available to the public.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Regular media has picked up the story. Backpackers should be relieved to know they're spying on campers in the area, and are pretty sure they're all up to no good.

http://m.host.madison.com/wsj....ch=true

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wearing masks is a good sign that they are up to no good. They are planning on doing things that might invite retribution.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Bob Seitz, Gogebic Taconite spokesman, told the News Tribune that the company began employing private security guards after teams of mining opponents “dressed in black and wearing masks violently attacked our drill site” in June."

I guess so...

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/271905/

I don't understand the horror and outrage at this company having armed security

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 7
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jul. 09 2013, 8:20 am)
"Bob Seitz, Gogebic Taconite spokesman, told the News Tribune that the company began employing private security guards after teams of mining opponents “dressed in black and wearing masks violently attacked our drill site” in June."

I guess so...

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/271905/

I don't understand the horror and outrage at this company having armed security

If it were my company, and I had been vandalized, I'd probably hire guards too.

Environmental wacko's cost the company money, which will be passed on to the consumer.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guns are the only solution for the massively paranoid.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 09 2013, 8:00 am)
Wearing masks is a good sign that they are up to no good.

Or that the bugs are extra thick. Hence the gloves, too.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is bound to escalate to the use of the EarthFirst! predator drone. ;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Jul. 08 2013, 8:44 pm)
Regular media has picked up the story. Backpackers should be relieved to know they're spying on campers in the area, and are pretty sure they're all up to no good.

http://m.host.madison.com/wsj....ch=true

Yes. Illegal campers.

Believe me, I'm no fan of mining, but you're making it hard to warm up to your side.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They aren't illegal, they're just trying to sell you on the idea they are. The Harvest Camp has operated for years. Treaty grants them full use of the bounty of the land. They're harvesting mushrooms and wild strawberries most recently, earlier it was ramps, before that they were maple sugaring. They're also collecting materials for various crafts which they market, basketry, arts, and such. It's Managed Forest Land, owned by the County. Permits are not required for camping, it's full public access.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's also their Ceded Territory, land and resources they were granted full use of through Federal Treaty. As they've rightly claimed all along, Federal Treaty trumps State and County authority.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By their own admission, they aren't guarding the mine site, but roaming the woods "observing" people. You don't find that creepy? Also, there were armed guards before, with simple side arms, not this Goon Squad. You don't find this, pardon the phrase, overkill? This was meant to be intimidating at best, provocative at worst. I think they very much intended to kick it up a notch. I don't think it's working, last I heard they're sending a contingent of Grandmothers to guard the guards and sending frybread up to the mine site.

And as to the earlier incident at the mine site, that was an outside group. I don't know who they were, but evidently this woman does some public access radio show out of Stevens Point. They seem only to be charged with taking the cellphone, which is odd if damage were done. The charges against Bill Williams for doing the same were dropped yesterday, by the way. Dollar Bill told the Sherriff it was just a misunderstanding, he thought the photographer was trying to hand him something. That's why he has video of him grappling with him for the camera, obviously. That's being pursued further.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Their purpose doesn't seem to be to guard the site at all. Watch Paul DeMain walk right into their site, and right up to their equipment. Do also note the unsecured weapons. They try to make it sound like the site is under attack, this is hardly the case. People are free to come and go. It is after all, public access land.

http://www.livestream.com/indianc....3e375e7

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interview with the Sherriff, which shows the legality of the harvest camp, details the behavior of the occupants, and the educational aspects of the camp.

http://www.wisconsinwatch.org/2013....ny-vows

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you must be outraged that people are taking cell phones, you really must look at this guy too.

http://news.wpr.org/post....acebook

--------------
 Post Number: 18
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have they done anything illegal?  No arrests?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From all the articles I've researched, these are my findings (which I'm sure are just the tip of the iceberg):

The land belongs to the Native Americans (via treaty)
But the treaty is ignored so the land is Owned by the County
The land is managed by the County as a Managed Forest
And the mineral rights are leased to the mining company
In exchange for lower property taxes, the mining company allows public access. (This makes no sense, but that's how it was reported)
Apparently, no NEPA/EIS evaluation was performed because that would have identified the Native American rights issue and stopped the project until it was resolved
The mining company was allowed to perform exploratory borings on their leased land
But apparently there was no access restriction placed on the public (ex - no access to land during drilling, no trespass within 100 yards of drilling, etc), so it is perfectly legal for the public to walk right up to the drilling crews, camp nearby, etc.
There have been a couple of minor skirmishes with protesters
So the mining company hires a para-military force to "keep the peace" and "protect workers"
Apparently, the para-military force is able to wander around the woods just like the public

My conclusion: Your state is so F'd up (yet very entertaining).

My prediction: Big game season should bring about some fireworks.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jul. 10 2013, 7:47 am)
My conclusion: Your state is so F'd up (yet very entertaining).

LOL.  Very true statement.  Funny, but sad in its reality.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 21
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This should shed some light

We were able to inflict damages upon the company in the form of an entire day of labor costs through the disturbance and subsequent police reports that their workers had to spend their shift doing, as well as shatter their sense of security.

Another outcome of the protest is that Gogebic Taconite will be forced to hire private security for the company contracted to do exploratory drilling in the Penokee Range. Ashland and Iron County sheriff’s deputies were on the scene Tuesday, but Ashland County Sheriff Mick Brennan said they can’t afford to staff the drill site 24/7, so that kind of security is up to the mining company.

My conclusion:  The libs here in Wisconsin are F'd up.  The rest of the state is doing just fine
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard they are Earth First. They protest anything of this nature, they aren't specifically against THIS mine. No one I know even knew who they were, but yes, there are other anti mine groups. A number of other groups have been trying to get in on the action up there too and been refused. They run a pretty tight ship at the harvest camp. No alcohol or drunkenness tolerated, no illegal activity. They after all want to maintain their presence in the area and aren't likely to do anything to jeopardize it.  

And the security firm, Bulletproof Security. They were operating here illegally. They aren't licensed to operate in the State of Wisconsin. By law they're now banned from operating in the state for one year, and subject to a number of fines. A real confidence builder in how the mine will be doing business here in the future. They haven't contracted with anyone within the state yet, and apparently there is no oversight that their subcontractors will be operating in a legal manner. Good to know.

http://m.host.madison.com/news....ch=true

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They've been exercising their treaty rights all along. Hence the Walleye Wars, the Train Blockaide, and Mole Lake.  

The land is ceded territory held in trust. The county owns it. Much like BLM land, you can own use of it. The mineral rights were owned by US Steel, sold or leased to RSSG, who leased it to G-Tac. They have to pay taxes to the County, reduced or excused if they allow public access. So they allow public access. If they pay the taxes, they can close it and operate it as private property. They evidently don't wish to do so.
Treaty grants full use of the land for the purpose of harvesting. It also allows mining, but was written in a time before the open pits of today. They obviously can't exercise their rights if the land no longer exists. A sale to the Nature Conservancy was in the works before G-Tac showed up. It was considered unsuitable for mining. G-Tac outbid them, and here we are.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wearing masks is a good sign that they are up to no good. They are planning on doing things that might invite retribution.

Many police do much the same thing when conducting raids or patrol in high crime areas to avoid recognition and retribution just for doing their job. Not because "they are up to no good".

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even Fox News doesn't seem to think much of the situation. They were here illegally. Sietz says they'll straighten out the paperwork and they'll be back in a few days. State Law says they cannot operate in the state for one year.

http://www.fox21online.com/news....removed

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 3:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wisconsin is F***ked up.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We still have a few laws they haven't tinkered with. And the pen IS mightier than the sword.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 09 2013, 7:53 am)
This is bound to escalate to the use of the EarthFirst! predator drone. ;-)

Every nite is wrench nite!

--------------
 Post Number: 29
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

morons videotaped themselves
 Post Number: 30
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watch the video and there's no question why the mine has armed guards. And such a limited vocabulary. About every 3rd word is "f***".

Oh, and the protesters are obviously up to no good since they're all wearing masks.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
67 replies since Jul. 08 2013, 3:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply This is happening in Wisconsin, right now.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions