2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: George Zimmerman verdict :: Total Votes:47
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Guilty 12  [25.53%]
Not guilty 28  [59.57%]
I dont care 7  [14.89%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: George Zimmerman verdict, what do you think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is he guilty or not?

I disabled replies so this doesnt turn into a pissing match.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think this tragedy has resulted in the destruction of at least two lives.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think the state made its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

I do think Zimmerman deserves to do some time, as while he may not have done anything illegal, the sum of his actions were provocative enough that the end result is a young man lost his life.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can disable replies?  

I voted Guilty

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think this belongs under TPA
 Post Number: 6
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Manslaughter. I think the jury will feel he did something wrong but cant put their finger on it. Right or wrong. Really a fascinating case when emotions are put aside.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The state hasn't proven either 2nd degree murder or manslaughter beyond a reasonable doubt, and has not disproven self defense beyond a reasonable doubt.

If there was some evidence that Zimmerman was using his weapon to play sheriff then I'd hope he was found guilty of something.

But the evidence establishes that he used his weapon in self defense, regardless of how that situation came about.
 Post Number: 8
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What if Martin was trying to stand his ground when Zimmerman approached and subsequently shot him.

Personally, I don't care anymore.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:34 am)
What if Martin was trying to stand his ground when Zimmerman approached and subsequently shot him.

What if Martin was trying to break into a house and rape the young girl he saw go into that house earlier in the day?

"What if" is not evidence.

And this is not a stand your ground case.
 Post Number: 10
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jcb @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:24 am)
Manslaughter. I think the jury will feel he did something wrong but cant put their finger on it. Right or wrong. Really a fascinating case when emotions are put aside.

I agree with you.

Zimmerman created an incident, found himself on the losing end, and killed that person. If he had done his job - call the cops - two lives wouldn't be ruined.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 11
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not Guilty of anything. The defense has clearly proven that and the prosecutions own witnesses helped George more then anything. It's not illegal to ask someone what there up to, he broke no laws. Opinions do not count as laws.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 12
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know but listening to the lawyer pundits on TV I get the impression most of them
think Zimmerman's lawyer's have been doing a better job compared to the prosecution. Of
course I'm sure that isn't saying much

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 13
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If convicted of a lesser offense, I think the judge will give him the max sentence for whatever that crime allows.  

My totally un-trained, non-scientific, un-provable  observation is that she has been a bit sympathetic toward the prosecution.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 14
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:38 am)

(desert dweller @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:34 am)

What if Martin was trying to break into a house and rape the young girl he saw go into that house earlier in the day?

"What if" is not evidence.

And this is not a stand your ground case.

That has been the problem....too many folks trying to convict Z based on what they can imagine might have happened

Only two people saw what happened and one of them is dead

Absent any other EVIDENCE Z should walk

The prosecution has resorted to trying to get him found slightly guilty of something and their only hope at this point is if all 6 jurors are idiots

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 15
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:15 am)
You can disable replies?  

I voted Guilty

Based on the evidence?

Because I would love to hear how the evidence supports that verdict

And I hope you never serve on a jury... :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 16
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Jul. 12 2013, 12:03 pm)
If convicted of a lesser offense, I think the judge will give him the max sentence for whatever that crime allows.  

My totally un-trained, non-scientific, un-provable  observation is that she has been a bit sympathetic toward the prosecution.

The judge and one of the defense lawyers,Don West, sure don't seem to get along. Did you
see/here how the judge just walked out as Don West was explaining something?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 17
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It better be not guilty and then I want to hear Al Sharpton, , etc... have to say about it.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 18
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not that I've been following this much but the prosecution has screwed up any chance of getting second degree murder.  Considering the tape where the police told Zimmerman not to follow the teenager, I'd say guilty of manslaughter.  He did everything to make the fatal confrontation happen.  Kind of expanding this beyond the current case, if one cannot freely walk through a neighborhood, that state really doesn't need to be advertising tourist dollars.  There's been a number of cases of foreigners being shot due to misidentification.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 19
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The prosecution did not prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  Not guilty.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MANSLAUGHTER
To prove the crime of Manslaughter, the State must prove the following two elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
1. Trayvon Martin is dead.
2. George Zimmerman intentionally committed an act or acts that caused the death of Trayvon Martin.
George Zimmerman cannot be guilty of manslaughter by committing a merely negligent act or if the killing was either justifiable or excusable homicide:
Each of us has a duty to act reasonably toward others. If there is a violation of that duty, without any conscious intention to harm, that violation is negligence.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF DEADLY FORCE
An issue in this case is whether George Zimmerman acted in self-defense. It is a defense to the crime of Second Degree Murder, and the lesser included offense of Manslaughter, if the death of Trayvon Martin resulted from the justifiable use of deadly force.
“Deadly force” means force likely to cause death or great bodily harm.
A person is justified in using deadly force if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself.
In deciding whether George Zimmerman was justified in the use of deadly force, you must judge him by the circumstances by which he was surrounded at the time the force was used. The danger facing George Zimmerman need not have been actual; however, to justify the use of deadly force, the appearance of danger must have been so real that a reasonably cautious and prudent person under the same circumstances would have believed that the danger could be avoided only through the use of that force. Based upon appearances, George Zimmerman must have actually believed that the danger was real.
If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
In considering the issue of self-defense, you may take into account the relative physical abilities and capacities of George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.
If in your consideration of the issue of self-defense you have a reasonable doubt on the question of whether George Zimmerman was justified in the use of deadly force, you should find George Zimmerman not guilty.
 Post Number: 22
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FRAWK!

I thought I disabled the 'reply to this poll' function but I guess not.

Sorry AIM.

But anyway, the facts are:

Zimmerman did shoot and kill Martin.

No one is questioning that.

The real issue is did he do it because he WANTED to kill him or did he shoot because he got into a fight with a young kid who was beating his arse.

I am going to say that he didnt intend to shoot the boy from the beginning but did anyway cuz he had the gun.

Manslaughter = guilty

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 23
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think we need a poll with the choices of:

1.  Guilty - second degree murder
2.  Guilty - manslaughter
3.  Not guilty of either
4.  Don't know / can't decide - waiting for verdict

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 24
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It doesn't really matter what any of us think, just the 6 jurors hearing this case. I don't suppose their decision will end the sideline speculation though.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 25
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that Zimmerman is guilty of setting into motion a chain of events that led to him shooting and killing Martin. Whether that is enough to convict him of a crime, I don't know.
He will probably face a civil trial for wrongful death and lose.
A lose, lose for everyone involved.
 Post Number: 26
3-gun. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After reading the the Judges charge to the jury, not guilty

--------------
"But the new Admin. is a Master in IDPA"
"MASTER in IDPA..."
"is like C Class in IPSC!"
 Post Number: 27
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Jul. 12 2013, 12:38 pm)
I think that Zimmerman is guilty of setting into motion a chain of events that led to him shooting and killing Martin. Whether that is enough to convict him of a crime, I don't know.
He will probably face a civil trial for wrongful death and lose.
A lose, lose for everyone involved.

He bears some responsibility, but how much depends for me on the answer to the question of whether he would have shot Trayvon had Trayvon not attacked him, putting him on the ground and proceeding to injure  him, for which there is physical, photographic and first responder testimony evidence.

For me anyway the ultimate responsibility is on who physically attacked whom and I don't see a logical basis for Zimmerman physically attacking Trayvon given Zimmerman was armed... my speculation being had Zimmerman been that aggressive he would have had his firearm out and pointing at Trayvon and Trayvon would never have gotten close enough to put Zimmerman on the ground and beat on him before getting shot. Zimmerman's injuries play a role for me anyway.

But civil proceedings are fuzzy, a difficult call.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 12 2013, 12:58 pm)
... I don't see a logical basis for Zimmerman physically attacking Trayvon given Zimmerman was armed... my speculation being had Zimmerman been that aggressive he would have had his firearm out and pointing at Trayvon and Trayvon would never have gotten close enough to put Zimmerman on the ground and beat on him before getting shot. Zimmerman's injuries play a role for me anyway.

Not proving or disproving... but having a firearm within easy reach can  cause some to be more confronting than otherwise.

Maybe an unarmed Zimmerman would have just called 911 and called it good.

Maybe an armed Zimmerman was just less hesitant to walk up to Trayvon, asking "hey, watcha doin' here"?   Not that he would walk up with pistol pointing right from the get go.

Lots of maybe's -- the jury has many more facts than any of us do right now.  Just saying Zimmerman could been aggressive -- just knowing his firearm was within easy reach.

Second degree murder versus manslaughter -- I don't really know.  But I think something would be amiss if Zimmerman is found not guilty of all charges!  Trayton was confronted and killed just walking the neighborhood -- and no one, not even his killer, has any legal responsibility?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 29
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jul. 12 2013, 1:06 pm)

... I don't see a logical basis for Zimmerman physically attacking Trayvon given Zimmerman was armed... my speculation being had Zimmerman been that aggressive he would have had his firearm out and pointing at Trayvon and Trayvon would never have gotten close enough to put Zimmerman on the ground and beat on him before getting shot. Zimmerman's injuries play a role for me anyway.

Not proving or disproving... but having a firearm within easy reach can  cause some to be more confronting than otherwise.

Maybe an armed Zimmerman was just less hesitant to walk up to Trayvon, asking "hey, watcha doin' here"?   Not that he would walk up with pistol pointing right from the get go.

Lots of maybe's -- the jury has many more facts than any of us do right now.  Just saying Zimmerman could been aggressive -- just knowing his firearm was within easy reach.

Agree with the difficult call between second degree murder versus manslaughter.  But for me anyway (not that I really know) but I think something is amiss if Zimmerman is not guilty of all charges!  Trayton died in a scenario that was not his own doing -- and no one, not even his killer, has any legal responsibility?

Oh I do agree Zimmerman might have been more mouthy since he knew he had a firearm.

But mouthy doesn't eliminate the responsibility of Trayvon to NOT physically attack a person.

Bottom line: would Trayvon have been shot had he NOT attacked Zimmerman? I just don't think so. That's the last and critical juncture, absent the attack no one dies. Otherwise what about had his parents sufficia=ently stocked the house with Skittles Trayvon wouldn't have been shot so they're culpable as well... question being how far back in the train of events must one go? For me it's the immediate proceedings: the attack. Because absent the attack, no one dies.

Zimmerman's simple possession of the firearm was legal after all. That being a different question than did he commit murder.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 12 2013, 1:14 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jul. 12 2013, 1:06 pm)

Agree with the difficult call between second degree murder versus manslaughter.  But for me anyway (not that I really know) but I think something is amiss if Zimmerman is not guilty of all charges!  Trayton died in a scenario that was not his own doing -- and no one, not even his killer, has any legal responsibility?

Oh I do agree Zimmerman might have been more mouthy since he knew he had a firearm.

But mouthy doesn't eliminate the responsibility of Trayvon to NOT physically attack a person.

Bottom line: would Trayvon have been shot had he NOT attacked Zimmerman? I just don't think so. That's the last and critical juncture, absent the attack no one dies. Otherwise what about had his parents sufficia=ently stocked the house with Skittles Trayvon wouldn't have been shot so they're culpable as well... question being how far back in the train of events must one go? For me it's the immediate proceedings: the attack. Because absent the attack, no one dies.

Zimmerman's simple possession of the firearm was legal after all. That being a different question than did he commit murder.

Lots of stuff we don't know -- like how that fight really got started and how it ran its course and all that.  We are, tragically, hearing primarily from one side.

But thinking about it, HSF, if you were walking along peacefully, and I come and confront you -- you probably won't be real deferential either -- and let's just say we can't prove who threw the first punch -- but I have a gun on me and I shoot you -- then legally, you caused your own death?

Given the above, that Zimmerman and Treyvon got into a fistfight is not anything extraordinary.  It's why the 911 operator specifically told Zimmerman to stay away!  But now, legally speaking, it is Treyvon who caused his own death?

Like I say, second degree murder, I don't know... but I really hope Zimmerman doesn't walk away a totally free man with no legal responsibility.

--------------
168 replies since Jul. 12 2013, 10:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply George Zimmerman verdict
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions