2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Should Zimmerman still have a CC permit?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jcb Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 12:47 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Legally I guess he still has the right to have one, but he is not a guy I want walking around with one.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 1:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not IMO.
He has already demonstrated poor judgment while armed.
 Post Number: 3
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 1:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mr. Zimmerman since you were found NOT guilty, your right to self-defense will be limited.

I cannot envision a more perverse would.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As disappointed as I am that Zimmerman has gotten off scot free (I place blame not on the jurors but on the inadequacy of Florida laws) -- the fact remains that legally, he is now deemed to have committed no crime whatsoever.  So yeah, he gets to carry his gun.  But my hunch is this cowboy surely has learned his lesson and will not be so rash and idiotic the next time around...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 6:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Legally yes, but he's proven himself to be a moron who shouldn't.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jul. 14 2013, 2:34 am)
 But my hunch is this cowboy surely has learned his lesson and will not be so rash and idiotic the next time around...

I hope, everyone learned something from this.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 7
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 7:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zimmerman has learned a few things that probably many permit holders would be best served to know.

Just because you have a gun doesn't mean that you can ignore common street smarts - staying off the streets at night, getting involved in a neighbourhood watch, getting involved in other people's problem's, etc.

So he is NOW probably MORE qualified than most to have a gun license.
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 8:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A firearm should be used only for self-protection.  that is exactly what Zimmerman used his firearm for.

Given his penchant for wanting to play Wyatt Earp I suspect he would have done the same thing whether or not his armed, ans whether or not Martin was white.  He wanted play sheriff, gun or no gun.

We can debate whether or not a person should follow a potentially dangerous criminal, but there is no evidence that Zimmerman drew his firearm at any time prior to the time Martin was beating him to death.
 Post Number: 9
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Jul. 14 2013, 7:47 am)
Zimmerman has learned a few things that probably many permit holders would be best served to know.

Just because you have a gun doesn't mean that you can ignore common street smarts - staying off the streets at night, getting involved in a neighbourhood watch, getting involved in other people's problem's, etc.

So he is NOW probably MORE qualified than most to have a gun license.

I'd say you're right Bass.

Use of deadly force, with, or without a weapon, even under the rules of self defense has consequences.

It's much better to not place ones self in such a situation.

I continue to support the Castle Law as well as stand your ground.

This case is somewhat unique in that neither party IMO was in the act of committing a felony and that placed the use of self defense in a gray area of the law.

No law is perfect in every situation.  I'm not really sure how a law needs to be enacted to address this specific situation.

Being stupid isn't against the law, at least not in this case.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 10
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since his only conviction has been in the kangaroo court of public opinion....he should keep it.

He will probably need it more than ever now....people are already tweeting "kill Zimmerman"

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 11
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BillBab
Since his only conviction has been in the kangaroo court of public opinion....he should keep it.

More on your point - "the kangaroo court of public opinion":

The System Has Failed

and

Guilty Until Proven Innocent
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 14 2013, 5:02 am)
A firearm should be used only for self-protection.  that is exactly what Zimmerman used his firearm for.

Given his penchant for wanting to play Wyatt Earp I suspect he would have done the same thing whether or not his armed, ans whether or not Martin was white.  He wanted play sheriff, gun or no gun.

We can debate whether or not a person should follow a potentially dangerous criminal, but there is no evidence that Zimmerman drew his firearm at any time prior to the time Martin was beating him to death.

Zimmerman acted against the tenets of the neighborhood watch program and against the directions of local law enforcement.  His careless actions led to the death of an innocent person.  Zimmerman put himself in a situation that required the use of deadly force to get out of.

And I don't buy for a second that he would have behaved the same had he not been armed.
 Post Number: 13
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 14 2013, 7:02 am)

If GZ had kept his stupid arse in his truck instead of getting out, he would not have had to use his gun and a black kid would still be alive today.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jul. 14 2013, 8:52 am)
Zimmerman acted against the tenets of the neighborhood watch program and against the directions of local law enforcement.  His careless actions led to the death of an innocent person.  Zimmerman put himself in a situation that required the use of deadly force to get out of.

And I don't buy for a second that he would have behaved the same had he not been armed.

Martin's decision to commit a felony by attacking Zimmerman is what lead to Martin's death.

Maybe punks like Martin will now think twice before resorting to violence to solve every problem.  Maybe punks like Martin will now think "hey, that cracker could be armed."

Just last week, a 14-year old kid shot and killed a 16-year old over a pair of sneakers.  Worst, is that earlier in the year he was accused of displaying the gun on a school bus, but of course his parents claimed their son did not have access to a weapon, and the matter was dismissed by the school without reporting it to the police.  

Perhaps his parents and Martin's parents need to pay more attention:

“This is a wake-up call for every mother, every father, every grandmother, every guardian,” said Arlee Daniels Jr., program coordinator of the Stop the Violence Coalition, a group of local organizations that works to combat Buffalo’s homicide rate. “You can no longer take for granted that your child is out doing the right thing. Every one of you should be checking on them thoroughly and relentlessly.”

Boy, 14, arrested in shooting death of 16-year-old

Buffalo shooting suspect, 14, reportedly brought gun to school
 Post Number: 15
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Jul. 14 2013, 9:51 am)
If GZ had kept his stupid arse in his truck instead of getting out, he would not have had to use his gun and a black kid would still be alive today.

You could also say if TM would have just kept walking instead of punching and jumping on top of GZ, pounding his head into the pavement, he would still be alive today.  Neither person used the best judgment.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Jul. 14 2013, 9:51 am)

(nogods @ Jul. 14 2013, 7:02 am)

Irrelevant.  He did nothing illegal.  In fact, we encourage residents to keep a watch on the neighborhood.  All four streets leading into my neighborhood have Neighborhood Watch signs posted.

The 911 operator asked Zimmerman "what's he doing now" and he got out of his vehicle to find out - a natural action of someone concerned about a stranger in the neighborhood.

But even if it was not prudent for Zimmerman to exit his vehicle, it was not illegal.

The only illegal act was that of punk wannabe Martin, whose attack of Zimmerman was a felony in and of itself.  

Blaming Zimmerman for having to use a firearm to protect himself from Martin's unlawful act is like blaming the guy who has to drive home from the graveyard shift for not studying harder in school when he gets hit by a DWI.
 Post Number: 17
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nogods said

Martin's decision to commit a felony by attacking Zimmerman is what lead to Martin's death.

I think its safe to say that what lead to TM's death was both GM's stalking TM and TM's
response to that stalking.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jul. 14 2013, 11:59 am)
nogods said

I think its safe to say that what lead to TM's death was both GM's stalking TM and TM's

It's also safe to say that what lead to every death by domestic violence of a spouse was the wedding.

And that what lead to Martin's death was Zimmerman's decision to move into that complex four years ago.

Zimmerman did nothing illegal in following Martin.  There is no evidence that he used his weapon in any manner other than to defend himself from Martin's illegal attack of him.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 14 2013, 12:28 pm)

(Dennis The Menace @ Jul. 14 2013, 11:59 am)
nogods said

It's also safe to say that what lead to every death by domestic violence of a spouse was the wedding.

And that what lead to Martin's death was Zimmerman's decision to move into that complex four years ago.

Zimmerman did nothing illegal in following Martin.  There is no evidence that he used his weapon in any manner other than to defend himself from Martin's illegal attack of him.

There was absolutely evidence of both initiating the attack. Nothing conclusive either way.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nogods said

Of course the link between TM being killed and GM decision to stalk TM is much more of a direct
line than say the link between a wedding and domestic violence especially in regard to the
time between the events(although I'm sure are some very rare weddings were maybe there was
domestic violence within a couple of minutes of being wed. Of course there are plenty of
examples of domestic violence where they people involved weren't married)

nogods said

as you can see from what I was responded to you I wasn't responding to anything you said
about what is or what isn't legal(The jury made it clear you're correct and I'm obviously
not contesting that) but what lead to it.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jcb @ Jul. 14 2013, 12:33 pm)
There was absolutely evidence of both initiating the attack. Nothing conclusive either way.

The timeline, the witnesses, and the facts that were consistent were Zimmerman's claims all support that Martin initiated the attack.  

Nothing supported a claim the other way.

and we now know that Martin was no little angel.

http://www.cnn.com/video....nn.html
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Witness talking on phone testified the last words martin said were "get off me". There was evidence both ways

--------------
 Post Number: 23
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A known perjurer saying she heard something like "get off me" is not evidence of much of anything

And as far as TM being an angel, we are not allowed to discuss that....we are only allowed to disparage the guy that survived, despite the fact that it should be relevant to TM's state of mind in attacking Z physically

And yes, I noticed the paper this morning still using the photo of TM as a little kid

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BillBab said

A known perjurer saying she heard something like "get off me" is not evidence of much of anything

Of course even though the prosecution lost it did a good job of showing the various was
GM was lying concerning various things he claimed like claiming when he was interviewed by
hannity that he didn't know about Stand your Ground. In the end, however, GM's dishonestly
was viewed by the jury, I guess, to whether GM was guilty of anything.

BillBab said

And as far as TM being an angel, we are not allowed to discuss that....we are only allowed to disparage the guy that survived, despite the fact that it should be relevant to TM's state of mind in attacking Z physicall

actually Billbab it all depends on who you're inclined to support right? I mean you for
example would be predisposed to talk and discuss how TM isn't an angel but will stay clear
, for example, of GM's past like regarding domestic violence? of course the difference between
the two is that TM wasn't even 18 where as GM is an adult and committed that domestic
violence as an adult

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jul. 14 2013, 1:06 pm)
of course the difference between
the two is that TM wasn't even 18 where as GM is an adult and committed that domestic
violence as an adult

Of course the difference between the two is that Zimmerman owned and possess a firearm legally, Martin's ownership of a firearm was illegal.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 14 2013, 8:44 am)

(hbfa @ Jul. 14 2013, 8:52 am)

How do you know TM committed a felony?  Because the guy who shot him do death said so?
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 14 2013, 2:10 pm)

(Dennis The Menace @ Jul. 14 2013, 1:06 pm)
of course the difference between
violence as an adult

Of course the difference between the two is that Zimmerman owned and possess a firearm legally, Martin's ownership of a firearm was illegal.

I was clearly talking about the discussion about their respective pasts and the extent to
which their past reflects negatively on their character. On that note, do we as a society
more likely forgive people for irresponsible behavior they did in their youth or as an adult?
I think the answer is clear.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 14 2013, 11:44 am)

Since you were there and viewed the fight, why weren't you called to testify?  

If you had come forward during the investigation, I'm sure Zimmerman would never have been charged.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jul. 14 2013, 2:57 pm)

If you had come forward during the investigation, I'm sure Zimmerman would never have been charged.

:D

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jul. 14 2013, 2:57 pm)

I'm guessing you didn't watch the trail.  

We know from the evidence produced during the trial that Martin was beating the tar out of Zimmerman.  Or perhaps you think Zimmerman caused his own injuries, and then put Martin on top of him and acted like he was being beat up by Martin for the witnesses to see.

thankfully unlike you, the jury listened to the evidence instead of taking Al Sharpton's word for it.
58 replies since Jul. 14 2013, 12:47 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Should Zimmerman still have a CC permit?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions