2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are there any African Amricans online?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 9:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I met, and hiked, with one from here.  Haven't seen him around in a while.

I'm just curious.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea I misspelled Americans, digital dyslxia.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm black...what you wanna know?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 4
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 17 2013, 9:44 pm)
Yea I misspelled Americans, digital dyslxia.

As well as "yeah" and "dyslexia."
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I didn't know any better I would think that whoever came up with the term dyslexia had a sick sense of humour.
 Post Number: 6
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought we all came from Africa.
 Post Number: 7
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 3:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to camp with two brothers that were brothers. They grew up on a farm and were pretty comfortable in the outdoors. I don't know what happened to the younger, but the older brother has a career in television these days.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A black man takes a hike
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the "one drop" (actually quite a bit more than that). Does that count?

Using X-American to designate racial background is stupid. Under that "rule", even though I physically appear to be a white caucasian, I'm an African-Euro-Asian-Native American. IOW, a complete mix of everything from somewhere in my racial past. As is almost everyone in the Western world.

I usually say human or Earthling when asked my race, even on official forms because really... why does it have to be broken down any further?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps black backpackers are wise enough to stay away from TPA?
 Post Number: 11
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually say human or Earthling when asked my race, even on official forms because really... why does it have to be broken down any further?
For the same reason that I can't register my vehicle in another county here in Texas: the gubmint keeps track of how many automobiles are registered in what's known as an SMSA (Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area) in order to determine pollution standards and such.

Coming from Montana, I suspect you have no idea what I'm talking about. Those living in places like Dallas (I once did) or other large urban areas are well aware of the impact, from automobiles to lawn mowers. You see, life in the city is different from life in the country.

-------------

Strange thread, because I was under the impression that TDale was black. Are you looking for someone with whom you may talk, TDale? :^)

ETA: (If his skin color isn't black, his outlook on life would seem to be - so maybe there's something else going on...)

ETA: Who will be the first person from the right of the political spectrum to accuse me of "racism"? Huh?
 Post Number: 12
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 18 2013, 7:21 am)

+1

Great video!
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Jul. 18 2013, 9:48 am)
For the same reason that I can't register my vehicle in another county here in Texas: the gubmint keeps track of how many automobiles are registered in what's known as an SMSA (Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area) in order to determine pollution standards and such.

Coming from Montana, I suspect you have no idea what I'm talking about. Those living in places like Dallas (I once did) or other large urban areas are well aware of the impact, from automobiles to lawn mowers. You see, life in the city is different from life in the country.

-------------

Strange thread, because I was under the impression that TDale was black. Are you looking for someone with whom you may talk, TDale? :^)

ETA: (If his skin color isn't black, his outlook on life would seem to be - so maybe there's something else going on...)

ETA: Who will be the first person from the right of the political spectrum to accuse me of "racism"? Huh?

Interesting that you think of people in terms of color, Gabby.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 18 2013, 9:16 am)

Yep - I got one.

Interesting that you took the darkest interpretation of that possible, TDale.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gabby, I was black for a while.  I played on a football team, in high school, that was 90% black.  The white folk shunned me.  I was discriminated against.  My parents were discriminated against.

When we went on a winning streak, it all faded away.  We were the toast of the town.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coming from Montana, I suspect you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I know you don't. I've said many times I'm not originally from MT and I've lived all over, including several large cities: NYC, Dallas, Houston, DC (NoVA), OKC, Seattle, Portland (OR) and worked in virtually every large metropolitan city in the lower 48 plus Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa in Canada, not to mention many large European cities. They're reasons I do live in a very small community in MT.

There's no valid comparison between motor vehicles and racial ID.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jul. 18 2013, 10:00 am)
There's no valid comparison between motor vehicles and racial ID.

For the collectors of statistics and those who use them to make policy decisions and publish documents and reports, as well as those who attempt to understand our complex society, there probably is a comparison.

Information can be used unwisely, and it can be used against the public, but it's not exactly an option to completely dispense with the collection of it. That's why you and I argue so much about the use of firearms and their effects - the NRA has essentially made it impossible to collect the information on firearm use so that it can be studied.
 Post Number: 18
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 18 2013, 9:29 am)
Perhaps black backpackers are wise enough to stay away from TPA?

My DH would say that black people are wise enough to know why they invented the automobile and air-conditioning.   :D

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 19
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You see, life in the city is different from life in the country.

That, right there, defines America in a nutshell; and is the reason for the seemingly great divides between liberals and conservatives.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 20
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jul. 18 2013, 3:10 pm)

That, right there, defines America in a nutshell; and is the reason for the seemingly great divides between liberals and conservatives.

Well, at least one of the reasons IMO, perhaps the biggest reason...???

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jul. 18 2013, 2:10 pm)

Here's a funny little story for you:

Once upon a time, I was visiting my brother, who lives about 20 miles out in the country. He carries a cell phone (for convenience while feeding his animals), but rails against "smart phones", doesn't know anything about Facebook, Twitter or Netflix (and doesn't want to), thinks "cable TV" is a ripoff, watches most movies on used DVD disks he buys at the "thrift shop" - you know, like the ones they used to use in the last millenium (just joking), and has a computer but seldom uses it (it's still using a phone line modem to connect to the Internet).

Mind you, it's not far enough outside of the nearest town that you can't get a fairly reasonable 3G signal - he does use a cellphone all the time, I've checked the news and weather on the Internet while lying in a tent late at night while "camping out" (as he put it) on his property during the winter, up some canyon.

So, one day while sitting in his living room chit-chatting about this and that, I had an inspiration and pulled out my "smart phone", started the Google Earth app, and zoomed down so that I could see his house, barn and "chicken pen". I rotated the screen display so he could see the surrounding countryside and topography.

When I showed it to him, he looked a bit surprised and said, "When did they start doing that?" "How much can they see?" "I don't need anybody spying on me!" and similar things.

Now, it could very well be that he was just having me on about it all - sort of "pulling my leg" - because I don't for a second think he's all that "out of the loop", but you should have seen the expression on his face when I explained how I can call and see my daughter in Japan with Skype - on my iPad. (Perhaps he's never noticed the use of Skype for international calls to correspondents on TV news programs - they never actually say anything about it, though there's sometimes a "logo" on the screen.)

I'm not saying at all that those people living in the "countryside" can't avail themselves of all the modern services, including Internet news and information. Some apparently choose to avoid it all (perhaps the point of being out there in the first place) or simply don't know.

Apparently, there are at least a few assumptions made about "city life" that make it very difficult to understand why "things are different". I suspect that "gay culture" is an element that's almost completely missing "out there". A recent article I posted a link to here actually said as much: those who live in major urban areas, worldwide, have pretty much accepted the idea of a "gay culture", while those out in the rural areas don't.

Probably accounts for a lot of other things too subtle to notice, actually.
 Post Number: 22
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Jul. 18 2013, 10:41 am)

(TDale @ Jul. 18 2013, 9:16 am)

Yep - I got one.

Interesting that you took the darkest interpretation of that possible, TDale.

I'm more interested in how he gets along with only 3 fingers on each hand and 3 toes on each foot.  He looks kinda orange under the chin, but maybe that's just his beard.
21 replies since Jul. 17 2013, 9:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Are there any African Amricans online?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions