2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: If Obama had a son who looked like Chris Cervini.., Michelle would probably be suspicious< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scott says he acted in self defense when he confronted Cervini and two others saying they were stealing from neighbors cars. He told them he had a gun and ordered them to freeze and wait for police.

Scott says he shot Cervini twice when the victim charged toward him yelling he was going to get Scott.

What Do George Zimmerman and Roderick Scott Have in Common?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where's the outrage?
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple thoughts...

1. This sentence makes me question everything about this article:

Trayvon Martin – a thug – should have kept going to Brandy Green’s townhouse where he was staying.

What, this is a statement of fact? WTF? Maybe everything else in this article is truthful and untwisted, but this sentence makes me suspect it is not.

2. Both Scott and Zimmerman handled the situation poorly, IMHO. Maybe they're not murderers,  but they're surely not heroes, either (as the right-wing scream machine is making Zimmerman out to be.) Seems like both were playing cowboy, almost as if they were hoping for a confrontation.

3. One important difference is that it appears that Scott witnessed people committing a crime.

4. "Where's the outrage" is such a stupid sentiment. People have to know about something before they can be outraged. When this case gets the kind of media attention that the Zimmerman case has gotten, and no one cares, then we can ask "where's the outrage."
 Post Number: 4
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for posting this, nogods. You've made a very convincing argument for why private citizens shouldn't be allowed to own guns.  :;):

(cweston @ Jul. 23 2013, 1:35 pm)
3. One important difference is that it appears that Scott witnessed people committing a crime.

Exactly. Not just one important difference, but the important difference.

Trayvon didn't have to do anything for Zimmerman to see him as suspicious; to Zimmerman, Trayvon's very existence was suspicious. And all the hand-waving and misdirection by racism denialists can't change that fundamental point.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:41 pm)
Thanks for posting this, nogods. You've made a very convincing argument for why private citizens shouldn't be allowed to own guns.  :;):

(cweston @ Jul. 23 2013, 1:35 pm)

Exactly. Not just one important difference, but the important difference.

Trayvon didn't have to do anything for Zimmerman to see him as suspicious; to Zimmerman, Trayvon's very existence was suspicious. And all the hand-waving and misdirection by racism denialists can't change that fundamental point.

+1

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Martin was determined by the jury to be the thug in the incident.

Zimmerman witness a crime being committed - he was the victim of a physical attack by a thug.

Get over it.  Both men were determined by juries to have used their weapons in self defense.  

The difference is that in the Scott case no media ho's looking to rile up the masses tried to exploit the outcome.  No protest, not rioting.  That's the difference.

Both men used their weapons in exactly the way they were designed - to protect themselves.

These cases support the possession of handguns for self protection from injury or death attempted to be inflicted by thugs and criminals.

Don't want to get shot?  Then don't attack law abiding people.  Perhaps the budding Martins a Cervinies will learn that someday.
 Post Number: 7
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:40 pm)

Why is it so difficult for people to simply discuss things without resorting to this sort of horsecrap? The jury determined nothing of the kind. The jury's sole responsibility was to decide whether the state had met the burden of proof for the crimes that Zimmerman was charged with.

Zimmerman witness a crime being committed - he was the victim of a physical attack by a thug.

After he had decided to pursue Martin (who may or may not be a thug, not that that is the issue at hand) with a gun. That's a substantial difference between these two cases, IMHO.

Get over it.  Both men were determined by juries to have used their weapons in self defense.

Who are you to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't get over? It's not like people are arguing about the verdict--yes, we all know that juries acquited both Zimmerman and Scott. That's a ridiculously arrogant thing to say.
 Post Number: 8
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:35 pm)

This is suddenly popping up all over the right wing blogosphere.  This point alone demonstrates what a stupid talking point it is.
 Post Number: 9
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course, the article (or whatever that was) doesn't mention that it was 3AM when this happened.

And the kids were apparently drunk or at least had been drinking, and decided they wanted cigarettes.  At 3 in the morning.

And while the article stresses that Chris was an honor student, it doesn't mention that his cousin who was with him was on parole for theft.

And does anyone believe the other two boys, who later claimed to have witnessed Scott shoot Chris while they stood there with their hands up, would have gone home and went to sleep without telling anyone if they had?

Personally, I'm sorry both of these kids were shot and I'm willing to bet that both Scott and Zimmerman would choose a different outcome if they had a chance, but if the point of this story (and the OP) is to show some sort of "reverse discrimination", then I don't see it.

But it's not a bad argument for how owning a firearm for "protection" has its unintentended casualties.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 10
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nogods

Couple of things,

First I've noticed that you have a propensity in you using the word "thug" in conjunction with TM.
While I wouldn't say what I'm about to say necessarily applies to you but I've noticed those who
have use the word "thug" at TM (or use it in conjunction with crime involving blacks) use it in
such a way that you can tell those using that term have extreme hostility to TM or blacks that are
involved in crime(You can just feel the hate oozing from them and rarely do I see that term being
used to anyone else). So I got suspicious and simply did a google search on "thug:" and the n word
and surprise surprise I found hit after hit where many people certainly do use that word as essentially
the equivalent of the N-word.  So again I'm not saying you necessarily use that word "thug" as a
replacement for the N-word but from now on whenever I hear this word used by those who are white
directed at blacks my ears perk up because I think in a lot of cases I know which word they would
really rather use.

Second, Just so I'm clear on your position and specifically your comment of 'Don't want to get shot?  
Then don't attack law abiding people.", If a guy simply hits someone who has a gun, does that gives
that someone the right to then respond by shooting the guy and thus killing them?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 11
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dennis The Menace
If a guy simply hits someone who has a gun, does that gives
that someone the right to then respond by shooting the guy and thus killing them?

It seems that in Florida and other states with self defense laws - justifications for murder - the answer is yes.

That is why those self defense and stand your ground laws must go. Hopefully, the DOJ will retry Zimmerman and void Florida's barbaric self defense laws! The Federal Court can "trump" such state self defense laws that have resulted in the death of so many black children.

That is why the protesters must continue - keep the heat on - until the DOJ charges Zimmerman with a hate crime murder.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 2:40 pm)
Both men used their weapons in exactly the way they were designed - to protect themselves.

These cases support the possession of handguns for self protection from injury or death attempted to be inflicted by thugs and criminals.

Don't want to get shot?  Then don't attack law abiding people.  Perhaps the budding Martins a Cervinies will learn that someday.

In other words, your gun fetishism is so deeply ingrained that you would rather embrace racism than reconsider gun fetishist talking points in the light of cases like these.

That says a great deal about your character.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 13
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It would seem that some people are pretty self righteous that they are endowed with a sense of Thugar.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Jul. 23 2013, 7:38 pm)

In other words, your gun fetishism is so deeply ingrained that you would rather embrace racism than reconsider gun fetishist talking points in the light of cases like these.

only one person in the Zimmerman case was a proven racist - and it wasn't Zimmerman.

It was Martin.

Only one person in the Zimmerman case used violent illegal force upon another human - and it wasn't Zimmerman.

It was Martin.

You can't run from the facts on this one now that the jury has spoken.  We know why they decided what thy decided.  There is no mystery.  and theiur decision was completely in line with the evidence, even the evidence they didn't get to hear about Martin's violent behavior and self proclamations.

Hey, you think Martin really got into all those fights he bragged about?  Think he really bought and sold those firearms he bragged about?  Think he was really suspended form school and kicked out by his mother?

Your phobia about firearms is so deeply ingrained you are willing to embrace racism and violent criminals rather than reconsider irrational illogical talking points in light of cases like this.
 Post Number: 15
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 8:49 pm)

(TehipiteTom @ Jul. 23 2013, 7:38 pm)

only one person in the Zimmerman case was a proven racist - and it wasn't Zimmerman.

It was Martin.

Only one person in the Zimmerman case used violent illegal force upon another human - and it wasn't Zimmerman.

It was Martin.

You can't run from the facts on this one now that the jury has spoken.  We know why they decided what thy decided.  There is no mystery.  and theiur decision was completely in line with the evidence, even the evidence they didn't get to hear about Martin's violent behavior and self proclamations.

Hey, you think Martin really got into all those fights he bragged about?  Think he really bought and sold those firearms he bragged about?  Think he was really suspended form school and kicked out by his mother?

Your phobia about firearms is so deeply ingrained you are willing to embrace racism and violent criminals rather than reconsider irrational illogical talking points in light of cases like this.

Your opinions ain't facts dude. No matter how loudly you scream otherwise.
 Post Number: 16
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 5:40 pm)

According to your logic, the "OJ" jury decided that Nicole Brown Simpson was a drug-using whore and Ron Goldman was a thug who deserved to be murdered.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 17
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:54 pm)

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:40 pm)

Why is it so difficult for people to simply discuss things without resorting to this sort of horsecrap? The jury determined nothing of the kind. The jury's sole responsibility was to decide whether the state had met the burden of proof for the crimes that Zimmerman was charged with.

After he had decided to pursue Martin (who may or may not be a thug, not that that is the issue at hand) with a gun. That's a substantial difference between these two cases, IMHO.

Who are you to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't get over? It's not like people are arguing about the verdict--yes, we all know that juries acquited both Zimmerman and Scott. That's a ridiculously arrogant thing to say.

^THIS^

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 7:49 pm)

Oh the irony!

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 5:49 pm)

It was Martin.

It was Martin.

There's nothing more for you to say; you've already told us who you really are.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jul. 23 2013, 6:17 pm)
Nogods

Couple of things,

First I've noticed that you have a propensity in you using the word "thug" in conjunction with TM.
While I wouldn't say what I'm about to say necessarily applies to you but I've noticed those who
have use the word "thug" at TM (or use it in conjunction with crime involving blacks) use it in
such a way that you can tell those using that term have extreme hostility to TM or blacks that are
involved in crime(You can just feel the hate oozing from them and rarely do I see that term being
used to anyone else). So I got suspicious and simply did a google search on "thug:" and the n word
and surprise surprise I found hit after hit where many people certainly do use that word as essentially
the equivalent of the N-word.  So again I'm not saying you necessarily use that word "thug" as a
replacement for the N-word but from now on whenever I hear this word used by those who are white
directed at blacks my ears perk up because I think in a lot of cases I know which word they would
really rather use.

Second, Just so I'm clear on your position and specifically your comment of 'Don't want to get shot?  
Then don't attack law abiding people.", If a guy simply hits someone who has a gun, does that gives

Exactly

Calling TM a thug is like calling GZ a vigilante or a wannabe cop   :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And all the hand-waving and misdirection by racism denialists can't change that fundamental point.

It also cannot make that fundamental point important in any conceivable way

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news....assault

So I guess this actual cop "got what he had coming" since he pursued this teen over a simple bit of petty vandalism

This illustrates clearly what might have happened had GZ not been armed

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 23
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jul. 23 2013, 6:17 pm)
Nogods

Couple of things,

While I wouldn't say what I'm about to say necessarily applies to you ...

Maybe it's an upstate NY thing. My friends and I use "thug" all the time to describe people engaging in violent crime, and have never used it as a racial slur of any type.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Jul. 24 2013, 12:28 pm)

And all the hand-waving and misdirection by racism denialists can't change that fundamental point.

It also cannot make that fundamental point important in any conceivable way

The fact that a class of people are routinely judged by the color of their skin rather than by individual conduct is of no importance whatsoever...to a sociopath.

Some of us are not sociopaths.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

BillBab said

Exactly

Calling TM a thug is like calling GZ a vigilante or a wannabe cop  

not exactly

not even close to exactly

Show me the slew of examples where someone calls someone "a wannabe cop""(haven't seen the label
"vigilante" being applied to GZ the way "wannabe cop" was or the way "thug" has been applied
to TM) in conjunction with a racial slur directed at whites because just by doing a simple
google search of "thug" and "n*g*e*" I can clearly show there are plenty of people using the
word "thug" in a similar fashion to the racial slur "n*g*e*"?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
24 replies since Jul. 23 2013, 3:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply If Obama had a son who looked like Chris Cervini..
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions