2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Come and get it - your mail that is< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 8:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

U.S. Postal Service looks to end at-your-door mail

It's just a conspiracy by business to get consumers to incur a portion of delivering the businesses' mail.  

Soon we'll all have to go to the post office to get the mail, and then we'll have to go to the mail rooms of the individual businesses so that business won't have to pay the cost of delivering the mail.

Of course, there's a Seinfeld for that:

I'd like to cancel my mail
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait.....what?

Do you mean that I have to exchange my mailbox on the street curb for a mailbox on the street curb?

No story here.....unless you lick up Fox news koolaid.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We already have to do that, my mailbox is about a block away. We didn't have mail delivery most of the winter because someone broke into the mailboxes by ripping the doors off the back a little before Christmas time. Then the ground was frozen so they couldn't lay the cement to replace them. I'm sure I got my mail maybe twice in all that time because I could never get to the post office when it was open.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Jul. 26 2013, 10:55 am)
We already have to do that, my mailbox is about a block away. We didn't have mail delivery most of the winter because someone broke into the mailboxes by ripping the doors off the back a little before Christmas time. Then the ground was frozen so they couldn't lay the cement to replace them. I'm sure I got my mail maybe twice in all that time because I could never get to the post office when it was open.

Yep.

When we lived in a mobile home park, all the mailboxes were up at the front.

Most if not all houses around Plano have mailboxes out by the street.

I mean after all, why does the postal jeeps have right hand steering?

The only houses that I know of that have mailboxes at their front door are the older neighborhoods as in 1950s era homes.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Securing them would be a problem. We have better boxes now, but of course if they want they can break in, in fact they have broken in to the parcel boxes since. They can certainly steal mail at your home too, but there's more likely to be someone around to keep an eye on it, and there just isn't the incentive of a big haul like breaking in to boxes containing hundreds of people's mail. They hit ours near Christmas time, I'm sure they got gift cards and cash. What they didn't want they threw all over the place.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 3:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The snail mail is kinda like the Pony Express, just taking longer to recognize the inevitable.

I won't be sorry to see the junk mail go.  

A subsidy for corporations that should die like the ag subsidies.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They should just go to every other day delivery. Half the city gets mail Mon, Wed, Fri the other half gets mail Tue, Thu, Sat. Reduced employment by attrition.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 8
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotta do what you gotta do to make those payments into the pension fund (unlike any other federal agency).  If a person wants individual service, make that a bill.  Otherwise they should get rid of these "legacy" individual mailboxes; every extra trip made is a friction surface that produces additional cost and the Post Office needs to reduce costs -- and don't tell me about UPS/FedEx replacing them.  Both are raising rates in competition to Amazon and Wally World direct delivery.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, you can feed the horses less, strip down the saddles to the bare minimum, and slow down the already slow service, but the pony express is still dead.

All of the needed, effective and wanted mail that I get could be converted to electronic, most of it already has been.  About 70% is unwanted advertising material and unless the advertisers are willing to pay way more than they currently do pay, the USPS is dead also.

The world has changed, time for the Post Office to change also.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still get mail delivered to my door.  I live in an old neighborhood established in the 1920s.  Over the years I have been getting fewer and fewer pieces of 1st class mail with the majority of mail now ads and that even seems to be decreasing.  

Mail delivery still plays a vital role to those who do not have e-mail and internet.  I do not see mail delivery disappearing anytime soon but more changes will come.  Ending Saturday home delivery seems a distinct possibility and reasonable.  Every other day delivery would not be a bad thing either as far as I am concerned.  Cutting post office hours of operations have been taking place and I sure will continue.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jul. 28 2013, 1:30 pm)
Yep, you can feed the horses less, strip down the saddles to the bare minimum, and slow down the already slow service, but the pony express is still dead.

All of the needed, effective and wanted mail that I get could be converted to electronic, most of it already has been.  About 70% is unwanted advertising material and unless the advertisers are willing to pay way more than they currently do pay, the USPS is dead also.

The world has changed, time for the Post Office to change also.

Exactly why I won't be walking out my door and down the driveway or down the street to collect junk mail I don't want in the first place.

If a business wants me to get its mail it will have to figure out how to pay someone to deliver it to my door, be that the USPS or other entity.

If a company sent out junk email the way they send out junk regular mail they would be prosecuted.
 Post Number: 12
Jester Search for posts by this member.
Beamish Boy

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a reaction to a financial crisis manufactured by Congress in 2006.  Now, the simple way to address that crisis would be for Congress to release USPS from a pension obligation that no other government agency or private corporation faces.

But the point of maufacturing that crisis was to convince people that they need to accept less in terms of services, services that worked perfectly well (and generated a profit) prior to Congress' interference in 2006.

I use USPS for both my business and when long-distance hiking.  It's one part of our government that doesn't require tax revenue and gets things where they're going faster and cheaper than private companies.  In fact, they're used by UPS for final doorstep delivery for UPS' cheapest corporate delivery method.

So this is what you have: part of our government that works perfectly well right up until the people who want to privatize everything decide to screw with it in order to eliminate it.

--------------
Drab as a fool, as aloof as a bard.
TBW Productions
 Post Number: 13
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The entitlement most in need of elimination are the benefits that Congress enjoys.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 14
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had mail delivered to my door (except certified, registered, and oversize pieces.  Mail box on the road when I was young, a mail room in college and apartments, street side mail boxes and now a central mail box at the end of the block

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Jester @ Jul. 28 2013, 2:07 pm)
This is a reaction to a financial crisis manufactured by Congress in 2006.  Now, the simple way to address that crisis would be for Congress to release USPS from a pension obligation that no other government agency or private corporation faces.

Actually the best way is to remove all those OTHER programs that leech off the USPS cash cow.

Have the post office submit a budget and any leftovers will be sent out to the other underfunded programs.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a half mile to our mailbox now.  If they bundle them all together (ours and our neighbors) they'll just have to drive down here more often for packages which won't fit in those little boxes.
15 replies since Jul. 25 2013, 8:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Come and get it - your mail that is
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions