2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: hiker kills charging bear with AK-74< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 1:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how many rounds he let lose:

“The bear presented its rear end to him,” Crockett said.

The man called, “Hey, bear,” hoping not to startle the animal, he said.

The bear turned and charged, the hiker later told rangers.

The man fired the AK-74 he was carrying, Crockett said. The bear stopped after the first volley of shots, and then charged again.

The man fired once more, Crockett said.

That time the bear folded into a ball, rolling and running downhill and thudding to a stop in a clump of birch trees about 100 yards from the trail.

“There it expired,” Crockett said

http://www.adn.com/2013....ink=cpy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sad. Who hikes with a Kalashnikov?
 Post Number: 3
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Altarboy @ Jul. 30 2013, 10:23 am)

Someone looking for trouble....

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another instance of a gun nut stalking a victim, then shooting when the victim gets agitated.  :;):

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know, the same guy that feels the need to walk the street with a Glock perhaps?
 Post Number: 6
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What an idiot. It's his word versus the bears.
 Post Number: 7
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jul. 30 2013, 1:43 pm)
Another instance of a gun nut stalking a victim, then shooting when the victim gets agitated.  :;):

+1 (unless the bear was a "thug")

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was it a black bear??

What a country!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jul. 30 2013, 9:00 pm)
Was it a black bear??

Prolly wearing a hoodie too
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even in Alaska, that is just nuts.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So where's Jessie Jackson and the others?
 Post Number: 12
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Better yet, wheres Winnie, Paddington, Smokie, or any of the three bears and their porridge and uncomfortable beds?

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jul. 30 2013, 2:58 pm)

I don't know, the same guy that feels the need to walk the street with a Glock perhaps?

Most standard issue carry for police is Glock. Either G22 or G19.

Funny, article says its not unusual for people to carry sidearms. Stupid hikers

But as far as this article is concerned, what the hell was he doing with an AK- 74 while hiking? I think the guy was looking for trouble. What an ass.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No actual mention of sidearms in the article.

A mention most people that choose to have a firearm choose a larger caliber than the AK-74's round. Which makes sense.

"It’s not unusual for people recreating in the Chugach to arm themselves with guns for bear encounters, Crockett [a park ranger]  said. But the gun used in Sunday’s encounter isn’t a typical choice for bear defense.

The AK-74 rifle is an updated version of its cousin, the better-known AK-47 assault weapon. It fires a smaller caliber round than the AK-47 and remains popular in the countries of the former Soviet Union, where it was produced in the 1970s.

“Most people carry something larger caliber,” he said."
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 31 2013, 2:02 pm)
No actual mention of sidearms in the article.

A mention most people that choose to have a firearm choose a larger caliber than the AK-74's round. Which makes sense.

"It’s not unusual for people recreating in the Chugach to arm themselves with guns for bear encounters, Crockett [a park ranger]  said. But the gun used in Sunday’s encounter isn’t a typical choice for bear defense.

The AK-74 rifle is an updated version of its cousin, the better-known AK-47 assault weapon. It fires a smaller caliber round than the AK-47 and remains popular in the countries of the former Soviet Union, where it was produced in the 1970s.

“Most people carry something larger caliber,” he said."

Ok, sorry, gun. A .44 is considered a sidearm as well as a .50 DE.  Both somewhat effective against larger animals.

Either way, the guy in the article is not terribly smart.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howso not "smart" because he wasn't carrying your firearm of choice?

Given the outcome how about he was carrying what he was familiar and comfortable with and so, as with most any tool, was better able to effectively use the firearm he had rather than something some internet "expert" would want him to carry.

Beaspray is certainly a lighter choice than the 7 or so lbs. of the rifle but he may have been thinking of prepared for more than bears.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 31 2013, 2:59 pm)
Howso not "smart" because he wasn't carrying your firearm of choice?

Given the outcome how about he was carrying what he was familiar and comfortable with and so, as with most any tool, was better able to effectively use the firearm he had rather than something some internet "expert" would want him to carry.

Beaspray is certainly a lighter choice than the 7 or so lbs. of the rifle but he may have been thinking of prepared for more than bears.

Caliber of bullets

I agree, bear spray would have been even better. I dont carry a firearm for four legged creatures.

And you are right, who knows how/ what he prefers to carry. Just seems a bit big to pack along for a hike.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bearspray is the family man's wildlife defense of choice. An accidental discharge won't kill one of your kids. A wounded bear just might. Admittedly it's hard to signal for help with bearspray, and automatic weapon fire is bound to bring the authorities, after you've scared off all of the normal people.  :p

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could be he's just a lousy shot with a handgun (as so many are) and he's okay with the weight? My EDC backcountry blade is a fixed blade knife, overweight for some things, just right for others (mostly cooking prep).....

Yes I'm a fan of foot pounds but there's a lot to be said for the cumulative effect of shots that actually connect with the target in comparison to some awesome knockdown load that sails serenely off over the horizon... basic reason I'm a big shoulderarms fan for more general consideration as in high stress situations skill is often very perishable. Same reason for kitchen firesuppresion systems (my "home security" investment of choice) to have big red buttons right at the exits. One whack and that happens.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 31 2013, 3:28 pm)
Could be he's just a lousy shot with a handgun (as so many are) and he's okay with the weight? My EDC backcountry blade is a fixed blade knife, overweight for some things, just right for others (mostly cooking prep).....

Yes I'm a fan of foot pounds but there's a lot to be said for the cumulative effect of shots that actually connect with the target in comparison to some awesome knockdown load that sails serenely off over the horizon... basic reason I'm a big shoulderarms fan for more general consideration as in high stress situations skill is often very perishable. Same reason for kitchen firesuppresion systems (my "home security" investment of choice) to have big red buttons right at the exits. One whack and that happens.

You have a point. i am much better with a pistol. Lousy with a rifle. But bear spray would still be a better choice for me.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It has been over ten years, but I've hiked that trail, the Turnagain Arm trail, and it is common for people to carry big caliber rifles and 12 gauge shotguns because of the numerous bears in the area. Some people carry BIG handguns or bear spray too. The AK74 shoots a bullet that is a little smaller than a .22 caliber - but at closer to 3000 fpm instead of the 1200 fpm for the .22 rimfire. Still not exactly the type of stopping power most people want to defend themselves from a charging bear.

In the Chugach State Park and close to Anchorage, the Turnagain Arm Trail is snow free and hikeable before the Bird Creek trails are. I like Bird Creek better though.

I have spent many a night camping at the Bird Creek campground and salmon fishing. If you drive the Alcan to Alaska Canada makes it a hassle to carry a gun of any type or even bear spray through Canada. I have seen enough bears along the trail to understand why so many carry guns while hiking there. In places where bear hunting is allowed the bears usually stay away from people. It is OK to carry a gun in Alaska State Parks for defense against bears, but hunting very limited.

A lot of people want more bear hunting allowed in Chugach State Park. See Attacks By Bears . A more recent article reflecting lengthened bear hunting seasons in Chugach: Bear Population .
 Post Number: 22
zeke61 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

should have had a 50 bmg, then he could have made bear burgers afterwards
 Post Number: 23
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zeke61 @ Aug. 09 2013, 3:26 pm)
should have had a 50 bmg, then he could have made bear burgers afterwards

I have always advocated the "go big or go home" approach, but no one ever seems to listen.

I mean, seriously, it's not that hard to put wheels on the thing.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 24
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GBH..Is it hard to load a bear into that thing?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 25
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Aug. 09 2013, 6:16 pm)

Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
 Post Number: 26
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Aug. 09 2013, 6:47 pm)

How far do you think he will fly?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 27
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Aug. 09 2013, 7:51 pm)

(reubenstump @ Aug. 09 2013, 6:47 pm)

How far do you think he will fly?

How far away do you think they'll hear him scream?
 Post Number: 28
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it just me or are there a lot of judgmental posts in this thread?
 Post Number: 29
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Couple of things seem strange.

1.  No bear spray.

2.  Calling "hey bear"  instead of just backing away.

That said, if this is justifiable bearicide/"defense of life and property", what is the problem with the guy carrying and using an AK-74 instead of a shotgun....the AK-74 worked for him.

It definitely puts lie to the contention that so-called "assault rifles" are only good for killing large numbers of people.
 Post Number: 30
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Three @ Aug. 09 2013, 11:46 pm)
It definitely puts lie to the contention that so-called "assault rifles" are only good for killing large numbers of people.

Agreed.  It also puts the lie to the contention that there is no legitimate defensive use for a semi-auto rifle or for a large capacity magazine on such a rifle.  This pip squeek sub .22 caliber rifle dropped a charging griz, and did so almost exclusively because of the many follow-up shots enabled by the action and the magazine.
32 replies since Jul. 30 2013, 1:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply hiker kills charging bear with AK-74
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions