2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I expect outrage here< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 12:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://pjmedia.com/tatler....-kansas

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im outraged......outraged that I clicked on that stupid link.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Aug. 17 2013, 11:00 am)
I expect outrage here

Why would you expect outrage here or anywhere else based on the content in the link you provided?

Please explain the title of your post.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 4
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Aug. 17 2013, 10:30 am)
Why would you expect outrage here or anywhere else based on the content in the link you provided?

I think he must be assuming everyone else is as clueless as he is about the distinction between promoting religion and teaching about it.

Sadly, we are not.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Schools should not be teaching about religion in history classes.  Save it for the mythology classes.
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Outraged?  Education is supposed to cure ignorance.  Why should anyone be outraged at a school that is attempting to teach and broaden young minds, TDale?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The photo was virtually void of any meaning whatsoever. Kansas could use some education about the world outside of it's borders, muck like most of America.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm outraged!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 5:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Aug. 17 2013, 5:04 pm)
Schools should not be teaching about religion in history classes.  Save it for the mythology classes.

I suspect this comment was sarcasm, but I personally think that religion is a very real aspect of history, and a little background about a religion provides important context for it's impact on the way history has played out. The pharse "The five pillars of Islam," says nothing about those principles, so it is pretty much meaningless without explanation.

I gotta ask, TDale, does the word "Islam" inspire outrage in your neighborhood? Are people there afraid of demonic possession?

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 6:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Aug. 17 2013, 2:19 pm)

I think he must be assuming everyone else is as clueless as he is about the distinction between promoting religion and teaching about it.

Sadly, we are not.

So when a school teaches the Koran and Islam, it's "teaching" but when a school teaches about the Bible and Christianity, it's "promoting"?

How about if the 10 Commandments had been posted? They have about the same place in Christianity as the 5 Pillars of Islam does for Islam.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nuance has never been one of your strengths. Comparative Religion or Bible Literature are perfectly acceptable subjects in school. In fact I think that people should learn about the worlds religions, it would help them be better people. Creation or Intelligent design in science classes are an abomination. The ten commandments are 40% about how people should behave in regards to God, which is irrelevant in a society where people are free to not believe in God. Since coveting is one of those things that you do in your heart, there shouldn't be any laws about that, and when you actually act on your covetous thoughts, there are laws for that. Do you need pictures to understand this Wolfy?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TDale falls for another Facebook meme.

https://www.facebook.com/Refounders/posts/10151679106963821

If you're too clueless to know that religious education is a major part of education in a public school, then you must have slept through World History and American Lit.
 Post Number: 13
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be outraged if any religion were portrayed as incontrevertible truth in any public school. I'm assuming this school in Kansas is not doing it with Islam.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 14
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Aug. 18 2013, 3:35 am)

(TehipiteTom @ Aug. 17 2013, 2:19 pm)

Sadly, we are not.

So when a school teaches the Koran and Islam, it's "teaching" but when a school teaches about the Bible and Christianity, it's "promoting"?

How about if the 10 Commandments had been posted? They have about the same place in Christianity as the 5 Pillars of Islam does for Islam.

So you're saying that in your case, at least, TDale's assumption was correct?

Duly noted.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
13 replies since Aug. 17 2013, 12:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I expect outrage here
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions