2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Al Jazeera America :: Total Votes:12
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1. It will be my new #1 news channel now 1  [8.33%]
2. I will never look at it voluntarily 1  [8.33%]
3. I will take a chance, see if it better than CNN and Fox 3  [25.00%]
4. Al what?? 1  [8.33%]
5. I will sample it like other entainment channels 4  [33.33%]
6. I will campaign to have it removed as anti-American 2  [16.67%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Al Jazeera America, Who Will Watch and Listen?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 1:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Al Jazeera America goes on the air today, just wondering how it will be recieved here in our little community.  I am hoping it will be an improvement, kind of a throwback to the real news reporting of yesteryear, viz Edward R. Murrow.

Not all that hopeful, but at least worth taking a look and comparing it to the other "news" channels.  My current fav is the Daily Show, so the bar is low.

Al Jazeera will start in about 48 million of the country’s roughly 100 million homes that subscribe to television.

It is in talks with Time Warner Cable, which publicly dropped Current TV upon Al Jazeera’s acquisition. Meanwhile, one of Al Jazeera’s overseas rivals, the British Broadcasting Corporation, continues to press for wider carriage of BBC World News in America.

What is unique about Al Jazeera — its seemingly limitless financing from an oil- and gas-rich government — may be its biggest advantage and its most-remarked-upon weakness.

With a staff of 900, including 400 newsroom employees, it is one of the most significant investments in television journalism in modern times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013....ss&_r=0

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll probably watch it as much as the others. I wonder if they'll air the Hillary documentary?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll look at it when I have the chance. I expect a somewhat watered down version of AJE, which has had the best international coverage for some time now.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty good start, IMO.  

I've only seen parts of three programs, but the tone seems to be an improvement over the regular infotainment news shows, except for NPR.

The mix of different stories, like the one on Mt. Everest makes it much more interesting to me, a lot better than the phony "reality" shows that fill most of the air waves.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that they are aiming at being another BBC.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, pretty much it seems, but with non-fiction stories 24 hours a day, and with a reporting coverage that is much greater than any other outlet.  

Seems like they have a staff and production budget about equal to all the MSM combined.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My cable provider (Time Warner) isn't airing the channel, so I guess I won't be watching it by default.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, cable sucks.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Al Jazeera isn't my #1 news source, BUT it is one of my regulars.

Compared to most American news sources, I prefer Al Jazeera because:

1.  Few entertainment/sports celebrity gossips masquerading as 'news'
2.  Much less sensational presentation
3.  Less national "patriotism"
4.  Less slant (as compared to, say, FOX News)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Their Egyptian bureau having 22 staff members quit over their "airing lies" in support of the Qatari owners agenda doesn't fill me with confidence.

http://www.npr.org/2013....overage
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched their discussion program this morning, the subject was sexual assaults in the military, and they had a moderator and three advocates, rather than the two we normally see on CNN or NBC.  

Very good airing of the issues, and the advocates sounded a whole lot like the posters on this forum, pretty much represented the same points of view and were very passionate in expressing their opinions.

It was interesting to see how passionate the advocate for falsely accused soldiers was, and how unpersuasive his arguments were.

Anybody else see that program??

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suggest that, as far as cable is concerned, Al Jazeera will suffer from the same kinds of problems that plague building plans for new mosques. Maybe if they change their name to "The Nashville Network" they'll have greater success in the US of A.

If they do, I suggest they use the motto, "Drop the 'C' and go with me - NN news!"**

(**FYI: This is why I'm NOT doing copy for Mercedes-Benz.)
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OR they'll take The Colonel's route and go with initials? "KFC" having a wider acceptability... Sooner or later most of them do that.

AJN is just another in the alphabet soup...
 Post Number: 14
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree with dropping the Arab name.  Why fight closed minds?  Co-opt them instead!!   :O

JAILED LEAKER NOW WANTS SEX CHANGE... A J @ 10:00!!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 15
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see that Dish still calls the channel "Current", so I guess "A raisin by any other name tastes just as sweet." is the call of the day.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What Al Jazeera needs is some college and NFL games on the weekend.  Football fans could care less what the name of the channel is, and they would get lots of exposure to people who never knew they existed!!

What a country!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd contact my cable provider, but 'NSA" is part of the URL. ;)

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody see the interview with Cornel West??

Interesting range of topics they are trying to cover, although their self promotion ads are as bad as the ads on MSM news shows.  Maybe start recording some their more intereting sounding video articles and skip all the promotion.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
17 replies since Aug. 20 2013, 1:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Al Jazeera America
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions