2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Will anyone listen tonight?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 8:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just wondering..............................oh, by the way, I won't be.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am so shocked!

And after all that practice with the Pledge of Allegience!!  

I thought you would follow through, doing your civic duty to analyze and comment on our President's important speech  on a matter of international importance.

ROFLMAO!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm at the bar. I'll read it in the morning.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 10 2013, 5:28 pm)

I'm not surprised that you wouldn't be listening - even if you were watching.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm watching...

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 6
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jimmy likes to watch only when farm animals are involved.
 Post Number: 7
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.  However, if you were lucky enough to have recorded one of his prior speeches just hit play.  He says the same thing over and over again.  It's like a song you like because of the beat than you listen to the words and turn the station.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could not possibly be more wrong.

A different speech than any American President has given before, may be setting a new doctrine for US action in international conflicts, especially  dealing with acts of inhumanity against the helpless, and the politically powerless.

The kind of speech that should have been made about the Holocaust in 1942 and 1943.

I hope that it is lasting and successful step.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone else notice that all the fools that rip Obama are the same fools that supported Bush when he attacked and invaded a country that had nothing to do with 911 (after lying about WMD) and then did nothing to get  Osama bin Laden?

You just can't fix stupid I guess.

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All fools unless your a liberal I guess.  Didn't he go about  this a little wrong.  He wants to conduct a military strike and than changes his mind and wants diplomacy.  Seems somewhat backwards to me.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All fools unless your a liberal I guess.  Didn't he go about  this a little wrong.  He wants to conduct a military strike and than changes his mind and wants diplomacy.  Seems somewhat backwards to me.

There have been continuous efforts to reach a diplomatic solution/resolution to the Syrian conflict for 2.5 years, to no avail, with solid stonewalling by Russia who is the only powerful friend that Assad has.

How would you go about persuading a party which refused to listen, to start listening and to agree to a compromise solution??

Obama and his team seem pretty close to getting that done, with Russia taking part and thinking that they are the big winner, which is always a good thing with the Russian chess players!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Until there was a believable threat of military strike there was no motivation to negotiate.

Now, there may be no need for a military strike.

Sounds like a risk worth taking to me, rather than committing another military act of coercion.  Those have not worked out well, lately.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Sep. 10 2013, 8:28 pm)
Didn't he go about  this a little wrong.  He wants to conduct a military strike and than changes his mind and wants diplomacy.  Seems somewhat backwards to me.

I generally support most of what President has done or is trying to do.  But I haven't seen eye to eye with how he handled the Syria affair thus far.  Ultimately though, the end result is what matters.  So I'm willing to see how it all shakes out before I call his actions failures.

I did the same with our previous President in regards to his decisions on military actions.  I disagreed with him up front, but gave him the chance to succeed.  He failed miserably IMO.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Sep. 10 2013, 8:28 pm)
All fools unless your a liberal I guess.

Thats part of the problem, labeling anyone who doesn't fall lock step with your views as liberal. Thats why the Republicans have lost the last two shots at the White House. To appease the extreme right they threw out anyone who didn't agree with the extreme views of radical right.

Most of my Republican friends didn't agree with Bush about waging a war that had nothing to do with 911. Does that make them liberals?

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtnsteve @ Sep. 10 2013, 11:57 pm)
Thats part of the problem, labeling anyone who doesn't fall lock step with your views as liberal.

Oh! Now I get it.  I thought if you didn't fall lock step with this administration you were labeled a racist and out of touch with the American people.

Believe me I disagreed with plenty of things GW did.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When did I say that?
Is that what the voices tell you ?

Labeling again I see, hard habit to break.

--------------
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiker01 is too lazy to listen to the president and form his own opinion. He'll listen tomorrow to other people that will tell him how to think. If Jimmy has a good day, he will think about something.

We are so fortunate to live in a country where every high school dropout thinks that he is a constitutional scholar, and smarter than the POTUS. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get invited to those classified briefings, since so many people act like they were fully briefed.

As for me, I don't really know what the Pres should do, but I think that it is premature to call it a failure. Some people want to see Obama fail so badly, that they want the country to fail. I didn't like Bush, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt until it was obvious that he was a disaster.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 18
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't watch the speech, but read the transcript.   Our president seems to have said that he's going to continue the diplomacy and work with Assad's closest ally, Russia, to attempt to neutralize Syria's chemical weapons arsenal.  I think that's a reasonable approach.  At the same time he's keeping the military option open and (hopefully) ready should diplomacy fail.  I think that's reasonable also.  This approach does  buy time for Assad, but no plan is perfect and I think this is the best we can hope for right now.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 11 2013, 12:55 am)
Hiker01 is too lazy to listen to the president and form his own opinion. He'll listen tomorrow to other people that will tell him how to think. If Jimmy has a good day, he will think about something.

We are so fortunate to live in a country where every high school dropout thinks that he is a constitutional scholar, and smarter than the POTUS. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get invited to those classified briefings, since so many people act like they were fully briefed.

As for me, I don't really know what the Pres should do, but I think that it is premature to call it a failure. Some people want to see Obama fail so badly, that they want the country to fail. I didn't like Bush, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt until it was obvious that he was a disaster.

It's hard to believe you would give any conservative the benefit of the doubt.  I have no desire to see the president fail badly.  Though he's doing  a pretty good at it.
 Post Number: 20
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Sep. 11 2013, 3:28 am)
I didn't watch the speech, but read the transcript.   Our president seems to have said that he's going to continue the diplomacy and work with Assad's closest ally, Russia, to attempt to neutralize Syria's chemical weapons arsenal.  I think that's a reasonable approach.  At the same time he's keeping the military option open and (hopefully) ready should diplomacy fail.  I think that's reasonable also.  This approach does  buy time for Assad, but no plan is perfect and I think this is the best we can hope for right now.

Ken,

We're in agreement here. I'm also with WWest, threat has forced Assad to the proverbial table he wouldn't sit at before.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 21
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 10 2013, 7:28 pm)

JimmyC, I understand why you didn't listen to the speech.

It's important that your opinion of this president is reinforced by commentary about the speech from within the rightwing bubble.

If you actually listened and paid attention to Obama giving the speech you'd run the risk of having your perceptions changed by what he actually said, and it would be much more difficult to nod your head at snippets taken out of context.

That's pretty dangerous ground for you, buddy. Your important role of representing the ignorant masses in this forum could be imperiled if you were no longer utterly confident with your inane prounouncements.  :p

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Sep. 11 2013, 8:04 am)

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 11 2013, 12:55 am)

It's hard to believe you would give any conservative the benefit of the doubt.  I have no desire to see the president fail badly.  Though he's doing  a pretty good at it.

That's all right, I don't expect you to be able to think too deeply about any of your beliefs.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 23
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the wake of 9/11 I was among those who boosted GW's approval ratings to a record high. I remember thinking even though I voted for Gore (environmental protection being high on my issues list) that maybe in times like that we needed a president with the qualities Bush displayed.

It wasn't until he started using 9/11 to beat the war drums for an invasion of Iraq and I dug deeper into things like PNAC that I leveled harsh criticism at his administration. Their mendacity and capacity for screwing things up turned out to be even worse than I imagined.

I've been more than willing to criticize Obama, but as it stands now his handling of Syria doesn't sppear to be as bad as I thought.

We shall see how things unfold.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 11 2013, 2:36 pm)
In the wake of 9/11 I was among those who boosted GW's approval ratings to a record high. I remember thinking even though I voted for Gore (environmental protection being high on my issues list) that maybe in times like that we needed a president with the qualities Bush displayed.

It wasn't until he started using 9/11 to beat the war drums for an invasion of Iraq and I dug deeper into things like PNAC that I leveled harsh criticism at his administration. Their mendacity and capacity for screwing things up turned out to be even worse than I imagined.

I've been more than willing to criticize Obama, but as it stands now his handling of Syria doesn't sppear to be as bad as I thought.

I think that you speak for many in this post.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 26
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Y'all realize that "Obama's diplomacy" was merely a gaffe by Kerry that was seized by the Russians and Syria, right?

Great outcome, IMO, but let's not give Obama credit. I personally wonder if our Peace Prize winner-in-Chief is secretly pissed that he now doesn't have a reason to bomb Assad out of office. My prediction: he finds a reason to bomb in the near future.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 27
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Sep. 10 2013, 8:33 pm)
I am so shocked!

And after all that practice with the Pledge of Allegience!!  

I thought you would follow through, doing your civic duty to analyze and comment on our President's important speech  on a matter of international importance.

ROFLMAO!

When is he making this important speech????

All I saw on the schedule was some more rambling on about Syria

And something about Putin taking his lunch money :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 11 2013, 1:45 pm)

(JimmyC @ Sep. 10 2013, 7:28 pm)

JimmyC, I understand why you didn't listen to the speech.

It's important that your opinion of this president is reinforced by commentary about the speech from within the rightwing bubble.

If you actually listened and paid attention to Obama giving the speech you'd run the risk of having your perceptions changed by what he actually said, and it would be much more difficult to nod your head at snippets taken out of context.

That's pretty dangerous ground for you, buddy. Your important role of representing the ignorant masses in this forum could be imperiled if you were no longer utterly confident with your inane prounouncements.  :p

I watched the whole damn thing

This might have been a good speech to give a couple weeks ago...when he needed to make a case to do something

It just sounded silly last night...after a bunch of dithering

His hole gets deeper and deeper but he just cannot stop digging

When you start reading letter on the air you sound more like a (bad) advice columnist than a leader

The Russians probably enjoyed watching it  :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 11 2013, 2:36 pm)

If Bush had drawn a red line

Nobody would have crossed it....except perhaps from the safety of a really deep bunker

They just laughed at the new guy

I want someone to ask him what his plan is if we blow up the Syrians stuff and they turn around and release some more Sarin???

I predict a blank stare followed by some bluster

--------------

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Sep. 11 2013, 12:47 pm)
I watched the whole damn thing

But the question was about listening.  :D
57 replies since Sep. 10 2013, 8:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Will anyone listen tonight?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions