2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Is This UnAmerican?, Entrapment at the Stadium< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 12:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It just can't be true.  First Santa Claus, and now football.

My guess is that this is a humanist plot to supress rednecks!

Unruly Seattle Seahawks may want to think twice before picking on somebody wearing San Francisco 49ers gear during Sunday's game at CenturyLink Field.

Those people who are your sworn enemies because they dared to don scarlet and gold on Seahawks territory might actually be cops out looking for the likes of you.

That's right. Someone had the rather brilliant idea of having undercover law enforcement officers dressed in the opposing team's apparel patrol the stadium for "fans exhibiting unruly and inconsiderate behavior," the Seahawks announced Wednesday.

"We have great fans," Seahawks President Peter McLoughlin said in a statement. "Our goal is to ensure a safe environment for all in attendance, including visiting team fans."

Fans who break the stadium's conduct code will be removed and forced to take a $75 online course before being allowed to return.

http://www.latimes.com/sports....ikaLosB

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was going to comment that walking near the Ravens' home stadium in a jersey from the opposing team is likely to get you assaulted.  I thought better of it when I realized that walking anywhere in Baltimore wearing anything is enough to get you assaulted.

For even more fun they should go to the bars near U of MD and wear Duke t-shirts.  They'll assault each other down there just for MENTIONING the Blue Devils.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL

What a country!

See y'all later.  Gotta go get my Broncos gear on and yell at the Giants fans.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An online course?

Only in Seattle.
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

would be cheaper just to prohibit alcohol and drunks in the stadium.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You have to wonder if this is a cover for a Homeland Security operation.  It would make sense.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 1:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Clearly the solution is for all of the beer concessions to sell handguns as well.

With such high ticket prices, player salaries and profits for team owners, why in the hell do taxpayers have to build the stadiums when the money should be going into sewer systems, bridges, roads, and education.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 8
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 1:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Sep. 14 2013, 12:53 pm)
I was going to comment that walking near the Ravens' home stadium in a jersey from the opposing team is likely to get you assaulted.  I thought better of it when I realized that walking anywhere in Baltimore wearing anything is enough to get you assaulted.

For even more fun they should go to the bars near U of MD and wear Duke t-shirts.  They'll assault each other down there just for MENTIONING the Blue Devils.

They'll be able to read the t-shirts?
 Post Number: 9
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 15 2013, 1:19 am)
Clearly the solution is for all of the beer concessions to sell handguns as well.

With such high ticket prices, player salaries and profits for team owners, why in the hell do taxpayers have to build the stadiums when the money should be going into sewer systems, bridges, roads, and education.

Or, at least, allow concealed carry by non-drinking ticket holders.

An armed society is a polite society.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, nowhere are they more polite than Somalia. Read us another bumper sticker slinger.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw on the news last night the undercover ops are league wide, not just in Seattle

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 12
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see nothing wrong with this police activity.  IMO, it is the same thing as putting undercover cops out dressed as hookers, or buying drugs.  If fans have difficulty seeing the other team represented, and they get to aggressive, then maybe the police need to be involved.

As bad a rep as NJ gets for obnoxiousness, I attended a Jets game in full Bronco regalia back around '85, give or take a year, and they said some things I expected to hear, but nothing else.  In all, maybe it was just better because the Jets won.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 13
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 15 2013, 9:32 am)
Yep, nowhere are they more polite than Somalia. Read us another bumper sticker slinger.

Yep, cause nothing promotes peace and justice like prohibiting law abiding citizens from having the means to protect themselves from thugs and terrorists.  The victims in Somalia are the unarmed law abiding citizens who can't protect the,themselves from the thugs and terrorists.

I'm always amazed at the Hoplophobes' reasoning that if only law abiding citizens didn't have firearms then crime would go away.

Read us another idiotic reasoned fallacy.
 Post Number: 14
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exaggeration is not becoming.  I do not recall anyone claiming the elimination of guns would eliminate crime.  Personally, I think it would reduce the mass murders to just once in a while, instead of the multiple per year we have now.  Reducing the murder count is a good thing, no?  Reducing suicides as well.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 15
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there a clear definition of what is actually Un-American?

Who decides what is the American way of doing things?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there a clear definition of what is actually Un-American?

Who decides what is the American way of doing things?

It all depends, on the times and the personalities.

For a long time it was cross dressing, closeted, black mailing Herbert Hoover.  

Then Joe McCarthy and the House Unamerican Activites Committee had a run.  Now we have the Tea Party and the Right Wing Christian Fundamentalists.

But, fortunately, none of those folks get to give the final answer.  

American citizens, exercising their right to vote determine what is UnAmerican, and sometimes it takes a long, long time to work out what the answer has been.

Most of us do know that Seceding from the Union turned out to be UnAmerican, but a few Republicans insist on testing that answer, over and over.

What a country!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazing that this thread could turn serious!

It was just an amusing time waster about football culture in America, but has managed to migrate into a political/philosophical question.

What a community!!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Sep. 15 2013, 9:49 am)
I see nothing wrong with this police activity.  IMO, it is the same thing as putting undercover cops out dressed as hookers, or buying drugs.  If fans have difficulty seeing the other team represented, and they get to aggressive, then maybe the police need to be involved.

As bad a rep as NJ gets for obnoxiousness, I attended a Jets game in full Bronco regalia back around '85, give or take a year, and they said some things I expected to hear, but nothing else.  In all, maybe it was just better because the Jets won.  

I tend to agree.

I'm better with undercover cops than with camera's, databases, and facial recognition software.

Generally, I don't attend large events because of the bad behavior I've seen in the past.

Policing these types of events is a good thing IMO.  I hope they're effective.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 19
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 4:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

UnAmerican?  Nope.

Entrapment?  Nope again.

Good policing?  Yes.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, dear, how disappointing.  No one even noticed that I said Herbert Hoover when I meant J. Edgar.  

Maybe getting old and disorganized really doesn't matter??

80 is the new 40!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm. I've worn Steelers jerseys at a few stadiums and experienced nothing but good ol' fashioned taunting all in good fun. Was even right in the heart of the Dog Pound once. Maybe I've been lucky. Or maybe, deep down, everyone loves the Steelers.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 22
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

westie, no one reads this crap.

It's solo therapy - each of us throws out the various symptoms of our personal malaise, which is followed by the hollow echo each makes in the emptiness which is this "electronic room", and which we then mistake for a response and an emollient.

"Cure yourself - no one's listening!" :D
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL, you make a great point!

But, I still need the self medication.  It is better, and cheaper, than whiskey.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
22 replies since Sep. 14 2013, 12:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Is This UnAmerican?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions