2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The only place I've seen a "White Power" T-shirt, was in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 11:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I just don't think in those terms.

Could someone explain to me why it is important? Why does a  relatively large segment of the population of the U.S. feel it necessary to differentiate or classify people by skin color, cultural differences or, even, clothing (appearance)?

It's gotta be a sign of a weak and shallow mind.

(No offense, of course.)

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If Boise State wore all white unis with white helmets, white socks, and white shoes, and played on a white field (instead of that hideous blue), it might have some contextual explanation. But otherwise it is just some random person being randomly stupid.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 3
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Sep. 16 2013, 8:25 pm)
If Boise State wore all white unis with white helmets, white socks, and white shoes, and played on a white field (instead of that hideous blue), it might have some contextual explanation. But otherwise it is just some random person being randomly stupid.

I do not believe that it was a totally random event.

No more than what is evident when I see Viva la Raza signs around Tucson.

Shirley, in our age of connectivity and information, we can comprehend that the measure of intelligence has nothing to do with how we perceive someone.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Sep. 16 2013, 8:16 pm)
I guess I just don't think in those terms.

Could someone explain to me why it is important? Why does a  relatively large segment of the population of the U.S. feel it necessary to differentiate or classify people by skin color, cultural differences or, even, clothing (appearance)?

It's gotta be a sign of a weak and shallow mind.

(No offense, of course.)

Aside from the weak and shallow, fear has a lot to do with it.

Its easier to define your enemy if they look, sound and act different than you. Lots of cowards out there and they're scared.

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fear, weakness, shallowness...whatever.

To me, it all comes down to individual acts of ignorance. Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does." That's just someone being stupid.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 6
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Sep. 16 2013, 9:18 pm)
Fear, weakness, shallowness...whatever.

To me, it all comes down to individual acts of ignorance. Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does." That's just someone being stupid.

Yes, I agree.  I can see that.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As much as we may wish, utopia does no exist...................

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 8
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 16 2013, 9:39 pm)

There are no truer words than that, Jimmy.

ETA: Thanks.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sadly, stupid does....lots of it.

Just saying

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 10
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtnsteve @ Sep. 16 2013, 9:43 pm)

Sadly stupid does....lots of it.

Just saying

We disagree on this point, eh.

I agree with what JimmyC said, whole-hardheartedly .

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hungry Jack

desert dweller
Yes, I agree.  I can see that.

I agree too. I also agree with what JimmyC said, never said I didn't.

--------------
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 12
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Idaho and Montana have a number of white supremacists. Coeur d'Alene was the headquarters for the Aryan Nation, which is currently reestablishing a compound there after loosing the first one in a law suit. They may be made up of individuals, but there are definitely organizations like the KKK, The American Front, The Aryan Brotherhood, and Christian Identity. Don't be naive, they have websites, they actively recruit, have meetings and plan events.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The KKK is a Christian group too I believe.

Lots of individuals make groups.

You blame individuals, why not the groups?

Just saying

--------------
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 14
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtnsteve @ Sep. 17 2013, 1:04 am)

Lots of individuals.

Just saying

The KKK and the groups Eco mentioned are not Christians, they use the word to hide behind..............and truth be told, there are no Christians, there are people who attempt to be Christians (Christ like), like me.
For there can never be anyone like Christ, just humans who attempt to be. Something I try in vain to be, as close as I can get, but I like the others will always fail.................but continue to try.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 16 2013, 10:16 pm)

Lots of individuals.

Just saying

The KKK and the groups Eco mentioned are not Christians, they use the word to hide behind..............and truth be told, there are no Christians, there are people who attempt to be Christians (Christ like), like me.
For there can never be anyone like Christ, just humans who attempt to be. Something I try in vain to be, as close as I can get, but I like the others will always fail.................but continue to try.

They say they are Christians, it's in their charter (KKK).

Who decides who Christians are, themselves or others who claim to be?

--------------
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 16
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtnsteve @ Sep. 16 2013, 10:19 pm)

(JimmyC @ Sep. 16 2013, 10:16 pm)

Lots of individuals.

Just saying

They say they are Christians, it's in their charter.

Who decides who Christians are, themselves or others who claim to be?

Only the individual can declare their Path.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

desert dweller
Only the individual can declare their Path.

Funny you say that, those that know me know the Path I've been on for the last 18 years, Hell, for most of my life.

I know my Path, it has served me well. Lots of learning, lots of pain, lots of mistakes, lots of looking inside, lots of crying, lots of serving others and lots of questioning. My dad use to say some of the best Christians he knew weren't Christian. Took me a long time to understand what he meant.

Those who do not know the path of groups like the KKK are fools.

I choose not to be among the fools.

--------------
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 18
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 4:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Sep. 16 2013, 11:43 pm)

(Hungry Jack @ Sep. 16 2013, 8:25 pm)

I do not believe that it was a totally random event.

Mybe it was and maybe it wasn't.

And for whatever it's worth, I've seen such T-shirts in the Seattle area and in West Hollywood.  I don't attach much meaning to it beyond the wearer.

Projecting a single individual's attitude to an entire population is an example of what again?
 Post Number: 19
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 6:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why does a  relatively large segment of the population of the U.S. feel it necessary to differentiate or classify people by skin color

Every minority group does it. Why should it be more upsetting that a white person/group does?

I don't agree with racial classifying (other than "human") by anyone of any "racial" group.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 20
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 6:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why does a  relatively large segment of the population of the U.S. feel it necessary to differentiate or classify people by skin color

Why?  Here's my theory:

Humans appear to have a tribal instinct.  Moden society breaks up tribal boundaries and distinctions.  Skin color is an easy and convenient way to identify fellow tribe members while identifiying members of "other" tribes that do not belong.
 Post Number: 21
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Sep. 16 2013, 11:25 pm)

I doubt it was random or an outlier.

D’ALENE, Idaho (AP) — The Aryan Nations, a white supremacist group, has returned to northern Idaho with what it is calling a “world headquarters” and a recruitment campaign.

Coeur d’Alene resident Jerald O’Brien, who has a large swastika tattoo on his scalp, is one of the leaders of the white supremacist group and said he expects membership to grow because of the election of President Barack Obama. He told The Spokesman-Review newspaper that the president is the “greatest recruiting tool ever.”

Residents of a Coeur d’Alene subdivision found recruitment fliers on their lawns Friday, and O’Brien said more fliers will be distributed. He said the group has “several handfuls” of members in the city.

Link
 Post Number: 22
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 17 2013, 1:16 am)
…people who attempt to be Christians (Christ like), like me…
Absolutely the biggest joke this guy has ever made. I guess JimmyC pictures Jesus dancing around, singing "Look at me! I'm stupid!" merely to draw attention to himself. I guess JimmyC believes Christ and all Christians are racist, beer drinking, loud-mouthed idiots like himself.

Not that a large number of them aren't.

"Christlike", indeed.

ETA: But then, maybe he's probably right. Let's take KenV as an example, though Kenny may simply be attempting to emulate Joe Smith - who knows?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Individuals make up groups through collective actions and ideology.

Thus it takes an individual act to make a group, especially a group that espouses hatred of another race or creed. This is a personal act of choice.

Groups can develop powerful mechanisms to influence individual beliefs and choices. But the vast majority of individuals have a powerful tool to resist outlandish thinking. It is called a mind.

My belief is that it is far too easy to blame amorphous groups for society's ills. We should not blame society and its groups every time there is an ugly ideology manifest or a horrific crime committed.

Blaming a group disempowers the individual and creates a feeling of being outnumbered. It is defeatist. No thanks.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 24
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 17 2013, 12:57 am)
Idaho and Montana have a number of white supremacists. Coeur d'Alene was the headquarters for the Aryan Nation, which is currently reestablishing a compound there after loosing the first one in a law suit. They may be made up of individuals, but there are definitely organizations like the KKK, The American Front, The Aryan Brotherhood, and Christian Identity. Don't be naive, they have websites, they actively recruit, have meetings and plan events.

Ya I think this is what Desert Dweller was getting it at. Yes in the end its an individual thing but
for whatever reason the area around  Coeur d'Alene/Hayden lake and even a little west into Spokane
Washington does have a history of attracting white supremacists types at least compared to the rest of
the country

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 25
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Sep. 17 2013, 11:25 am)
...for whatever reason the area around  Coeur d'Alene/Hayden lake and even a little west into Spokane
Washington does have a history of attracting white supremacists...

The cure would be constructing an NSA surveillance center there.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every minority group does it. Why should it be more upsetting that a white person/group does?

I don't agree with racial classifying (other than "human") by anyone of any "racial" group.
 -MLW

Yes, there are a lot of examples of racism & ethnic prejudice from around the world. The history of western civilization is dominated by white racism. It is wishful thinking to believe that there aren't lingering consequences from past inequalities. Do you really believe that if you start calling yourself a nazi, that anyone is going to believe that it is about superior engineering and scientific achievement?

Blaming a group disempowers the individual and creates a feeling of being outnumbered. It is defeatist. No thanks.
-HJ

Nobody puts a spin on reality like post-modernists. Just change definitions at will, focus on the power of positive thinking, and see things the way you want. It's easier than solving problems. I'm amused at the people that see themselves as individuals but other people, less enlightened, as sheep. The truth is, that there are a range of people in the world, with true individuals being less common, despite the fact that many see themselves that way. I'm sure there were a lot of free-thinking individuals that went along with the changes that the Nazi's brought to Germany.

The Ku Klux Klan has gone through three resurgences since their post civil war creation, each a response to changes in society that were counter to their core values. Call them what you want, they have always believed in the supremacy of white Christians, and evolved an antipathy to communism during the 1950's. Even during the years they were inactive as an organization, they served as a reservoir of ideas that reemerged to gain wider acceptance in society. To think that they are irrelevant is as foolish as thinking that the Heritage Foundation, the Sierra Club, or the Mormon Church is irrelevant.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 27
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 17 2013, 11:57 am)
...[the KKK] have always believed in the supremacy of white Christians...

Except for Catholics, and Irish. Though I believe the Irish now get a pass.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 28
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

Great post.  Thank you.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Sep. 17 2013, 12:04 pm)

...[the KKK] have always believed in the supremacy of white Christians...

Except for Catholics, and Irish. Though I believe the Irish now get a pass.

I didn't mean to be to leave out anyone the supremacists wanted to leave out.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

-HJ

Nobody puts a spin on reality like post-modernists. Just change definitions at will, focus on the power of positive thinking, and see things the way you want. It's easier than solving problems. I'm amused at the people that see themselves as individuals but other people, less enlightened, as sheep. The truth is, that there are a range of people in the world, with true individuals being less common, despite the fact that many see themselves that way. I'm sure there were a lot of free-thinking individuals that went along with the changes that the Nazi's brought to Germany.

The Ku Klux Klan has gone through three resurgences since their post civil war creation, each a response to changes in society that were counter to their core values. Call them what you want, they have always believed in the supremacy of white Christians, and evolved an antipathy to communism during the 1950's. Even during the years they were inactive as an organization, they served as a reservoir of ideas that reemerged to gain wider acceptance in society. To think that they are irrelevant is as foolish as thinking that the Heritage Foundation, the Sierra Club, or the Mormon Church is irrelevant.

Good grief. Another dose of liberal conceit from Egocentric.

I don't pertain to have a solution to societal's problems regarding race, but I can hold myself and those around me to certain standards.

Voltaire said it best: cultivate your own garden. Loosely translated, this means focus on the things you can control and directly impact, and the world will be slightly better.

But let's not settle for a post-modern spin. Here are some examples of taking action:

Problem: My community has an opportunity to build a public green space, but we need capital and other resources to make it happen.

Solution: I found a non-profit organization, recruit a motivated board of directors; we raise $20,000 over 3 years; build a safe park for the many families nearby; and now we are replacing street trees that the City can no longer afford to replace because it is broke.

Problem: The Ozark Trail is in disrepair and disorganization.

Solution: John Roth single handedly founds the Ozark Trail Association. The OTA holds trail building outings. I am among 100+ volunteers at multiple events. Over 5 years, the OTA builds over 35 miles of new trail.

Problem: There is trash on the street.
Solution: I pick it up because I hate trash on the street.

I really don't give a rats ass about how you see I see myself. It works great for me. I feel I can make a difference.

How do you make a difference? Point fingers on the Internet?

GTFO

--------------
Summon the Minions!
42 replies since Sep. 16 2013, 11:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The only place I've seen a "White Power" T-shirt
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions