2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I hope the world gets the joke...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 8:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obama plays into keeping Assad in power to oversee disarmament

http://online.wsj.com/article....article

While waiving federal law to arm the rebels trying to take Assad out.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-w....2535885

The country's in the best of hands.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't say the "best" of hands, but much much better than if McCain or some other Republican hawk was in the White House.

Aside from the push to eliminate chemical weapons (which could fall into the wrong hands if/when Assad is toppled) it looks like we're staying out of that conflict.

And that's a very, very good thing.

Was pointing that out your intent, TDale?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 3
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sausage-making of geo-political leadership is rarely pretty.

I would rather see us leave a half-assed thug like Assad in power than create a bigger mess for which we are responsible for policing. We should have left Saddam in power with his petty dictatorship and ham-handed ways rather than try to referee a hideous civil war.

But let's open our doors to political and humanitarian refugees from Syria. The smartest and most resourceful people find ways to leave. They can come here and be constructive citizens.

My brother went to college with a kid from Iran. His father was "in" with the Shah and very wealthy. During his freshman year, the Shah was overthrown and his family lost everything. All this kid had was an admittance to Vanderbilt, a fine school, but no way to pay for it. So he worked his way through college.

Now he owns three restaurants in Nashville that employ about 50 people. He has 3 kids that will attend college. The oldest is studying engineering. He is a great citizen.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 4
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once we got past our original policy....which was that Assad had to go

And once we realized that vague empty threats were a waste of time

It became clear...we simply needed to try to look like we were doing something

Hopefully the rebels will not use our weapons to obtain the CW...because that would actually be more embarrassing ....which would be quite a feat

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

McCain hasn't been the only one loudly demanding more military involvement in the region. If Obama had flatly refused to do anything in Syria, there would be a lot more demanding action. If Obama cured cancer, the right wing nuts would be saying that he didn't care about people with heart disease.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The proof is in the pudding.
If the end result turns out well then the joke will be on the TDales and Billbabs of the world.  And as always, he who laughs last, laughs loudest.

Regardless, I'm happy for each day that goes by that were not bombing yet another foreign country.  This is far more important to me than who gets laughing rights.
 Post Number: 7
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 17 2013, 8:59 am)

I find the funny part is.............while trying to arm unknown rebels, he tries to disarm Americans....................LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't say the "best" of hands, but much much better than if McCain or some other Republican hawk was in the White House.

There's a huge difference between much better and least worst.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 17 2013, 3:32 pm)

(TDale @ Sep. 17 2013, 8:59 am)

I find the funny part is.............while trying to arm unknown rebels, he tries to disarm Americans....................LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

There's a good reason for that.

We are much, much more dangerous.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exactly HOW is the president trying to "disarm" Americans, and in what way are they "dangerous"??

Seriously, I'd like honest answers to those questions.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good night .... and good luck!!

Hating Obama and everything he does is their main interest in life.

Tough for Obama, but working quite well for liberals and moderates in the political system.

The extreme right wingers may actually motivate the country to do some of the things we need to do to save our economy and our way of life.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 18 2013, 10:06 am)
Exactly HOW is the president trying to "disarm" Americans, and in what way are they "dangerous"??

Interesting that you describe Americans as "they".  Not "we".

"We" are a dangerous people.  "We" are the citizenry and the military.  I would wager that the citizenry have more weapons than the military.  And if you call upon the military to use their's on the citizenry, you'll probably get refusal.

I'd also wager that most of the citizenry know and support the Constitution and the rights that belong to themselves.  Most of the military know the meaning of the oaths they swore to support said Constitution.

So, if any branch of the government gets too full of itself, the citizenry, and the military, can and will revolt.

Dangerous people, we.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your analysis is completley bogus, but you are completley right that a military dictatorship would be very dangerous, and probably the only way that there will ever be confiscation of guns in America.

You can rest assured that if some General takes over, he will not permit any guns to those rebellious citizens.  

What do you think they teach in war college??

Fortunately, that won't be happening here, even though you find it an attractive fantasy.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would wager that the citizenry have more weapons than the military.

Granted you gun crazy citizens have way more .22s, .38s, deer rifles, shotguns and 9mms than the armed forces.

But they do have all the machine guns, artillery, rockets, missles, planes, tanks, landing craft, aircraft carriers, and special forces.

They can prolly hold their own in a pitched battle or even a geurilla situation!  heh

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 18 2013, 2:08 pm)
So, if any branch of the government gets too full of itself, the citizenry, and the military, can and will revolt.

Dangerous people, we.

Wait what?..if WE are are they, and WE and the military decide to revolt against one of the branches of the government, will it be the military and us, (WE) against the Supreme Court on the battle field?  or will it be the Congress? or just the Whitehouse?  I say WE can take on all three at the same time.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Sep. 18 2013, 5:33 pm)

Dangerous people, we.

Wait what?..if WE are are they, and WE and the military decide to revolt against one of the branches of the government, will it be the military and us, (WE) against the Supreme Court on the battle field?  or will it be the Congress? or just the Whitehouse?  I say WE can take on all three at the same time.

What'd you do?  Start happy hour early?

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 18 2013, 2:41 pm)

(hbfa @ Sep. 18 2013, 5:33 pm)

Dangerous people, we.

What'd you do?  Start happy hour early?

I was born in America, every hour is happy hour after that TD.  What's your line?
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 18 2013, 4:08 pm)

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 18 2013, 10:06 am)

Interesting that you describe Americans as "they".  Not "we".

"We" are a dangerous people.  "We" are the citizenry and the military.  I would wager that the citizenry have more weapons than the military.  And if you call upon the military to use their's on the citizenry, you'll probably get refusal.

I'd also wager that most of the citizenry know and support the Constitution and the rights that belong to themselves.  Most of the military know the meaning of the oaths they swore to support said Constitution.

Dangerous people, we.

I considered typing "We" but figured you'd misinterpret that (deliberately or otherwise) to mean We liberals, from your point of view responding to me. Doesn't matter. It's a nitpick.

I figured your reference to "dangerous" meant armed revolt against our own government. People harboring that fantasy reject our founding principle of representative democracy, refusing to accept the result of majority vote. You would destroy our Constitution under the guise of saving it, and create a tyranny far worse than what you've been misled to believe exists now.

Part of that perceived tyranny is the notion that this president is trying to "disarm" the American people by abolishing or circumventing the 2nd Amendment.

Interesting that you didn't respond to that part of the question, because it would expose how baseless that narrative is.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It sounds to me like it is TDale that wants to split the union, instead of join it. Don't tread on me.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But they do have all the machine guns, artillery, rockets, missles, planes, tanks, landing craft, aircraft carriers, and special forces.

True but it's also a guarantee that a significant percentage of the US military will join the revolt and take their toys with them, plus another significant percentage that won't switch sides but will refuse to fight other US citizens.

--------------

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 18 2013, 6:41 pm)
Part of that perceived tyranny is the notion that this president is trying to "disarm" the American people by abolishing or circumventing the 2nd Amendment.

Interesting that you didn't respond to that part of the question, because it would expose how baseless that narrative is.

I didn't posit that the POTUS was trying to disarm us.  I responded to your question about what I said.

Considering that participation by voting is less than 50%, you might want to reconsider the validity of "representative" and "majority".

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Sep. 18 2013, 7:05 pm)

True but it's also a guarantee that a significant percentage of the US military will join the revolt and take their toys with them, plus another significant percentage that won't switch sides but will refuse to fight other US citizens.

All the more reason for demilitarization and supporting voters rights.

Personally I would rather have an uncomfortable democracy that is peaceful, than a military coup.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 18 2013, 6:07 pm)

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 18 2013, 6:41 pm)

I didn't posit that the POTUS was trying to disarm us.  I responded to your question about what I said.

Considering that participation by voting is less than 50%, you might want to reconsider the validity of "representative" and "majority".

BS, TDale.

You wrote:

JimmyC responded:
I find the funny part is.............while trying to arm unknown rebels, he tries to disarm Americans

You replied:
There's a good reason for that.
We are much, much more dangerous.

(my bold) Nice try at squirming out of it, but your "for that" most definitely refers to Obama trying to disarm Americans. Which is why I asked you in the first place.

As for your contention that we don't have have a representative democracy with low voter turnout, where in the Constitution is the 50% voter participation threshold? Also, you should understand that in our Republic laws are passed by a majority in Congress, and there are rules regarding a quorum.

If you and others who share your views think elections results are not valid with sub-50 voter turnout, then get off your butts and vote. Is there anyone stopping you? There is indeed an ongoing effort at voter suppression, but I don't think you'd like the results if all those folks voted.

Oh, and BTW, turnout of all eligible voters was 57.5% in the 2012 presidential election

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, and BTW, turnout of all eligible voters was 57.5% in the 2012 presidential election

With each of the 2 majors taking roughly an equal percentage of about 28% and 29% of eligible voters, that really means they both lost in the popular vote with 42.5% against them by NOT voting.

--------------

Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, it doesn't mean that at all. You are making an unsupported assumption about the intent of those who did not vote.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You keep twisting like that to prove your point and you'll tweak something.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montana, I thought you were a champion of individual freedom??

Does that include the individual choice not to vote in an election, or not??

You were in the military, were you not??

If so you know that fantasy is so unreal as to be just laughable.

When the Gerneral orders the Brigade commander, and he orders  the Division commander, and he orders the Regimental Commander, and he orders the Company commander, and he orders the Platoon Lieutenant, and he orders the Sergeants, they will do pretty much exactly what has been ordered.

Their whole world view is bound to that chain of command, and to unit cohesion.  Their might be politically motivated individual here and there, but not in the chain, and those individuals would be dealt with harshly.  You know this if you have been there.

They go out every morning, to the jungle, or the mountain, or the desert and expose themselves to death and dismemberment, for much less sensible reasons than defending the Constitution and our democratic government here at home.

Get real.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 18 2013, 10:19 pm)
You keep twisting like that to prove your point and you'll tweak something.

I agree; MLW is likely to hurt himself.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Starting to like you, regardless of your proclivities.  Salvageable.

--------------
86 replies since Sep. 17 2013, 8:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I hope the world gets the joke...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions