2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gun Subsidies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why should my tax dollars go to gun makers? I'm tired of bailing out the folks at the NRA, smith and Wesson and the Amish mafia. If you don't know about this contact your congress person.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why should my tax dollars go to baby makers?  I'm not making babies.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 20 2013, 10:15 am)

They've got a pill that might help you out with that.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, it's official, you're stalking me now.

GET OVER ME!  :D

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 20 2013, 1:15 pm)

But somebody supported you when you were a baby?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 20 2013, 10:36 am)

It's a FORUM.
If you don't like it, the door is to your right.
 Post Number: 7
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obviously Tdummie is done with this discussion after Marmots last comment. LOL

Actually I wonder if he did get any support. Nurturing and education seem to have eluded him.
 Post Number: 8
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Sep. 20 2013, 1:06 pm)
Why should my tax dollars go to gun makers? I'm tired of bailing out the folks at the NRA, smith and Wesson and the Amish mafia. If you don't know about this contact your congress person.

Don’t think of it as your taxes going to subsidize just the gun industry. It is a stimulus going to corporations that are too big to fail. An industry that has completely escaped the recession, and has really been booming since Obama took office. A legitimate job creation stimulus!
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why should my tax dollars go to gun makers?

Why should my tax dollars go to any subsidy?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Sep. 20 2013, 1:40 pm)

Yeah.  My parents and grandparents.

As it should be.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 20 2013, 2:44 pm)

(Marmotstew @ Sep. 20 2013, 1:40 pm)

Yeah.  My parents and grandparents.

As it should be.

They pay for the school you went to? The roads they drove on to get there?
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Sep. 20 2013, 10:43 am)

(TDale @ Sep. 20 2013, 10:36 am)

It's a FORUM.
If you don't like it, the door is to your right.

You sure about that?

I sort of doubt there's anything to the right of TDale....
 Post Number: 13
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 20 2013, 2:16 pm)
I sort of doubt there's anything to the right of TDale....

:D
Good one.

But, yeah, if there's anything at all...

Did you see the masturbating baboon on "The Daily Show" the other night?

But, yeah: no human presence. No "philosophical structure" of any consequence - right of TDale. (And the door to TPA is clearly located down the stairs from the mezzanine, in the lobby - unless you were suggesting he move from one quadrant of the arena to another - Oh my! That would just not be right! Or possible, considering the current state of TDale's mind...)

But, quick question: If you organized the whole of human existence in ranks according to political orientation, would Rand Paul still be such a twit?

:D
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Y'all are seriously disturbed.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why should my tax money go to bail out GM....I am not going to buy anything they make?

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Sep. 20 2013, 5:03 pm)
Why should my tax money go to bail out GM....I am not going to buy anything they make?
An entire thread could be created out of restructuring this sentence so that it's coherent, proper English.

So, if that question mark is correctly positioned, then, theoretically, the sentence could mean:
“Should my tax money go to bail out GM, why am I not going to buy anything they make?”
as if BB is asking why someone would think that he would not buy a GM product if his investment in said product would be increased via his additional expenditure through taxes.

This seems credible, but, given the well-known political predilections of BB, it seems more likely that what the semi-literate BB intended was a question followed by a declarative sentence:
"Why should my tax money go to bail out GM? I am not going to buy anything they make."

Yes, BB is confused about the nature of “cooperative action” for the good of all, and that, given a government “of the people, by the people and for the people”, the government – any such government – must sometimes act for the sake of the people, and not always in a manner pleasing to all the people, though they do benefit, even if indirectly, most of the time. His additional tax expenditure would purchase a stronger economy and jobs for his fellow Americans, but this isn't sufficiently important to the principled BB.

In addition, BB is very confused about the use of the English language, and especially confused about correctly placed punctuation in sentences.

The sentence could have been a declarative statement with an appended dependent clause:
“I'm not going to buy anything GM makes, so why should my tax money go to bail them out?”

The problem here, of course, is that this arrangement seems, at least to me, to increase the direct emphasis on BB's inherent selfishness and self-centered nature, as if what he’s actually saying is:
“Because I personally will not purchase GM’s products, the nation as a whole should not assist in their recovery (with the implication that this is regardless what the benefits may be).”

Clearly, if past experience of his posts is relevant, BB is a strict laissez-faire economics kind of guy - of the very old school. This is, therefore, most likely what, in fact, he meant to say.

He neglects to mention, however, that the “bail out” of GM saved jobs directly and in subsidiary, dependent support industries, thus saving tax revenue to the tune of some $29 billion. More than likely. BB does not care. He's that kind of guy.

For the sake of adhering to his principles, it seems that BB would have rather seen a large part of a vital American industry go down in flames, potentially leading to further economic damage. Principles are important, of course, but “flexibility” is sometimes necessary when dealing with such issues as the potential for serious economic damage, which would be costly to a large number of Americans, as well as a relatively large blow to a vital manufacturing base that is, besides being a source of vehicles for the American population, a rather large constituent of manufacture of American military hardware, such as military transport vehicles and tanks.

Alternatively, we could completely restructure the sentence as a declarative statement, thus:
“None of my tax money should go to GM because I'm not going to buy anything they make.”
which has the clearer meaning that BB does not intend to buy a GM product at any time in the future, so saving the manufacturer, and all that entails, is utterly of no importance to him whatsoever.

This has much the same effect as the preceding sentence, but is, I think, much clearer, plus it is much more indicative of the rigid nature of BB’s political thinking and economic sense, which is almost entirely lacking.

This is an important aspect of grammatical structure, which may take BB most of the rest of his life to master. Perhaps he may never achieve adequate control of meaning in the sentences he constructs, but one can only hope for the best.

Good luck, BB!
 Post Number: 17
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BillBab eats, shoots, and leaves.

typical gun nut!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I don't think team sports would've been his strong point.
 Post Number: 19
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 12:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Sep. 20 2013, 8:47 pm)
Yes, I don't think team sports would've been his strong point.

I was once sent to a company "team building" seminar and the speaker said "Remember, there is no 'I' in team!".
I raised my hand and said "Yeah  but there is a 'me'!"

A few seconds of silence and then... "Sit down and be quiet...".

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 20
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 3:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't know gun manufacturers were receiving subsidies. Like Mountainlonewolf, I'm generally against all subsidies. But I'm not anymore worried about gun manufacturers receiving subsidies than any other business, like the OPer is.

I have no proof, but I bet plenty of subsidies are  corrupt arrangements between industry CEOs and our government. If a CEO can invest a  million buying off politicians to get a return of $10 million or more in subsidies, I bet the scoundrels are doing it

---George
 Post Number: 21
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Sep. 20 2013, 1:06 pm)

National security?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 22
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Sep. 20 2013, 9:17 pm)

(BillBab @ Sep. 20 2013, 5:03 pm)
An entire thread could be created out of restructuring this sentence so that it's coherent, proper English.

So, if that question mark is correctly positioned, then, theoretically, the sentence could mean:
“Should my tax money go to bail out GM, why am I not going to buy anything they make?”
as if BB is asking why someone would think that he would not buy a GM product if his investment in said product would be increased via his additional expenditure through taxes.

This seems credible, but, given the well-known political predilections of BB, it seems more likely that what the semi-literate BB intended was a question followed by a declarative sentence:
"Why should my tax money go to bail out GM? I am not going to buy anything they make."

Yes, BB is confused about the nature of “cooperative action” for the good of all, and that, given a government “of the people, by the people and for the people”, the government – any such government – must sometimes act for the sake of the people, and not always in a manner pleasing to all the people, though they do benefit, even if indirectly, most of the time. His additional tax expenditure would purchase a stronger economy and jobs for his fellow Americans, but this isn't sufficiently important to the principled BB.

In addition, BB is very confused about the use of the English language, and especially confused about correctly placed punctuation in sentences.

The sentence could have been a declarative statement with an appended dependent clause:
“I'm not going to buy anything GM makes, so why should my tax money go to bail them out?”

The problem here, of course, is that this arrangement seems, at least to me, to increase the direct emphasis on BB's inherent selfishness and self-centered nature, as if what he’s actually saying is:
“Because I personally will not purchase GM’s products, the nation as a whole should not assist in their recovery (with the implication that this is regardless what the benefits may be).”

Clearly, if past experience of his posts is relevant, BB is a strict laissez-faire economics kind of guy - of the very old school. This is, therefore, most likely what, in fact, he meant to say.

He neglects to mention, however, that the “bail out” of GM saved jobs directly and in subsidiary, dependent support industries, thus saving tax revenue to the tune of some $29 billion. More than likely. BB does not care. He's that kind of guy.

For the sake of adhering to his principles, it seems that BB would have rather seen a large part of a vital American industry go down in flames, potentially leading to further economic damage. Principles are important, of course, but “flexibility” is sometimes necessary when dealing with such issues as the potential for serious economic damage, which would be costly to a large number of Americans, as well as a relatively large blow to a vital manufacturing base that is, besides being a source of vehicles for the American population, a rather large constituent of manufacture of American military hardware, such as military transport vehicles and tanks.

Alternatively, we could completely restructure the sentence as a declarative statement, thus:
“None of my tax money should go to GM because I'm not going to buy anything they make.”
which has the clearer meaning that BB does not intend to buy a GM product at any time in the future, so saving the manufacturer, and all that entails, is utterly of no importance to him whatsoever.

This has much the same effect as the preceding sentence, but is, I think, much clearer, plus it is much more indicative of the rigid nature of BB’s political thinking and economic sense, which is almost entirely lacking.

This is an important aspect of grammatical structure, which may take BB most of the rest of his life to master. Perhaps he may never achieve adequate control of meaning in the sentences he constructs, but one can only hope for the best.

Good luck, BB!

Now you are the punctuation police....but still without a clue

Yes, you are correct, when I added the part about not buying a GM vehicle I probably should have put it after the question mark....my bad...but I am a victim...I went to public school

As for the rest of your rambling monologue feel free to enjoy your Emily Litella moment since you invented my position and intent out of thin air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

I was simply pointing out the slippery slope of ranting about where govt spends our money. Either get rid of all subsidies or get used to the idea that there will be some that you don't approve of.

I am not real fond of any of them

But since you asked (sorta)  I will spend my auto purchasing dollars with the companies that can stand on their own two feet without Uncle Barry coming to their rescue. That is just simple common sense...wanting to do business with companies that are likely to be around for the long haul  :)

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 23
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

but I am a victim...I went to public school

Poor little BB!  The former champion of personal freedom and personal reponsibility.

Most all of us went to public school.  Some of us paid attention and learned how to read, spell, and punctuate, sometimes due to great teachers, sometimes in spite of poor teachers.

Try getting a backbone, BB.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Sep. 21 2013, 9:45 am)
Now you are the punctuation police....but still without a clue

Yes, you are correct, when I added the part about not buying a GM vehicle I probably should have put it after the question mark....my bad...but I am a victim...I went to public school

As for the rest of your rambling monologue feel free to enjoy your Emily Litella moment since you invented my position and intent out of thin air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

I was simply pointing out the slippery slope of ranting about where govt spends our money. Either get rid of all subsidies or get used to the idea that there will be some that you don't approve of.

I am not real fond of any of them

But since you asked (sorta)  I will spend my auto purchasing dollars with the companies that can stand on their own two feet without Uncle Barry coming to their rescue. That is just simple common sense...wanting to do business with companies that are likely to be around for the long haul  :)
Read wwwest’s comment. Yes, most of us went to public school. Some made it work, others were evidently too lazy to work at all.

I didn’t “invent your position out of thin air” – the shallow and ill-informed nature of your posts here is legendary. What I did illustrate was your lack of diligence and attention and your pathetic lack of skill with your own language – which reflects your inability to actually think rather than simply parrot what you’re told by someone else.

You may very well feel this is only about punctuation. It’s not. Humans not only communicate with language, they also use it to think. If you don’t believe that, let’s hear your theory on the “process of thinking”. My bet is that you’ll necessarily compose sentences to come up with an alternative theory, even if only ad hoc ones in your head, despite being exceedingly bad at using English. If you think without using language at all, you are a rare beast indeed.

But your post shows that you can’t even string together two simple English sentences. What must your thinking process be like? Your posts here illustrate that quite effectively: you don’t have one of any consequence.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch!
24 replies since Sep. 20 2013, 1:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gun Subsidies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions