2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Obama's Toughness Is Paying Off, With Iran and With Syria< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 1:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to see someone else saying what I have been thinking:

There is one main reason why Iran is making conciliatory noises about its relationship with the U.S. and about the future of its nuclear program, and there is one main reason why Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian dictator, is signaling his intention to give up his stockpiles of chemical weapons.

The reason: President Barack Obama's toughness.

The only constant in the Middle East is sudden and revolutionary change. Last week, Obama looked as if he had lost the plot. This week, he has created for himself a potentially historic opening. When he visits the United Nations next week, he might very well find himself shaking hands with the president of Iran. It is no small thing for an Iranian president to shake hands with the leader of the Great Satan. But Obama, by placing unbearable pressure on Iran, may have given Rohani no choice.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news....ff.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and whatever the pundits may quibble over regarding "lame duck" Obama will be behind that Commander in Chief desk for three and half more years so there's no waiting him out.

Not that Hillary will be any pushover....
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I certainly hope that history will show his actions as successful ones.
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obama's toughness, eh? Sounds like spin to me. I don't think chemical disarmament via diplomatic means was his initial plan, but at least he might get the results he sought.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the real world, results count for more than spin.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was his initial plan and he said so. He said he did not want to use military intervention in Syria.

Obama's toughness is through intellectualism. That's the difference between Liberals and Conservatives. Military action is a last resort to Thinking people. To the Bush-Cheney people in the world it's just another way to exploit a region for their business buddies.

Liberals think, Conservatives react.
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 23 2013, 11:30 am)

+1
I'm not really concerned whether this was his initial plan or not.  But if the outcomes are positive, and we can refrain from raining bombs on yet another foreign country, then it would be one the biggest foreign policy successes of the century, thus far.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Sep. 23 2013, 2:45 pm)

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 23 2013, 11:30 am)

+1
I'm not really concerned whether this was his initial plan or not.  But if the outcomes are positive, and we can refrain from raining bombs on yet another foreign country, then it would be one the biggest foreign policy successes of the century, thus far.

No argument here. The alarmists on the right are decrying Obama's alleged lack of initiative, and this headline appears to be an equal (over)reaction.

There is a reason it is called "spin." It goes really fast in tight circles, wringing out the substance out of it, yet it somehow winds up in the same place it started. Both sides have mastered it.

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mostly because the uninformed masses buy it. We have earned the government that we have. I would start first with upgrading Congress. Judging the merits of polls that are reacting to spin isn't anything resembling democracy.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"upgrading Congress"

LOL. Great euphemism!

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can't expect a representative government to be any better than the majority that votes for it.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 23 2013, 7:09 pm)
You can't expect a representative government to be any better than the majority that votes for it.

Yeeaaah.  We're trying to correct that.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 23 2013, 7:31 pm)

By going after the angry old white man vote? Good luck with that. Do you live in Broun's district? Just a guess. Kind of like thinking that Jimmy voted for Cruz, there is a segment of society that is slowly circling the drain. Politics could use some liquid plumber.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do live in Broun's district.  And I'm working on getting rid of him.  He's damaged goods.  I've been a constant force for being rid of his insanity.

Enjoy that, Richard.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 15
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 2:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 23 2013, 10:26 pm)

(TDale @ Sep. 23 2013, 7:31 pm)

By going after the angry old white man vote? Good luck with that. Do you live in Broun's district? Just a guess. Kind of like thinking that Jimmy voted for Cruz, there is a segment of society that is slowly circling the drain. Politics could use some liquid plumber.

Why are you dawgin' a minority Eco, you got some racist in ya?
And,
Why mention my name? I'm gonna start sending you some love threads.........................XOXO sweetness. :;):

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 16
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 3:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is rich.  Iran's recent "conciliatory noises" have nothing to do with a much more moderate president that was recently elected in Iran.  A president that is even making conciliatory overtures to Israel (ISRAEL!!).  

But this is really happening because Obama is so "tough".  Uh huh.  Shur.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 things that spin:
1. Poop going down the toilet
2. Washing machine
3. Politicians on both sides

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unbearable pressure?

Please

He wanted to attack Syria and was cut off at his knees
 Post Number: 19
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pressure on Iran???

Sure...it must be hard for them not to laugh out loud watching Vlad push Barry around

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 20
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is all just another tune, similar to the Right's Beloved Ronnie, but from the other side of the aisle.  Talk tough, and pursue diplomacy from behind the cover.  I see it from many cultures, and countries.  Teddy had a saying that at first glance was an opposing view, but the results might have been the same.

If we can avoid spending the $$ and get the same results, I am all for diplomacy.  In fact, diplomacy should be exhausted before we launch any military campaign.  Talk is just a preamble to either approach.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If he had wanted to attack Syria, he certainly had the means to do it. When it comes to pushing around the President, the American Right is allied with Putin with just about the same integrity in their arguments.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah billybabble, pressure on Iran. See the news today.

Obama is one fine diplomat and the American exceptionalist jingo crowd just hates it.

Obama is passive aggressive and brilliant.
 Post Number: 23
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 24 2013, 11:06 am)
Unbearable pressure?

Please

He wanted to attack Syria and was cut off at his knees

Exactly.  It had nothing to do with toughness or brilliance.  Wasn't John Kerry who set the ball in motion?
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anybody think that the Secretary of State operates on his or her own separate from the commander in Chief?

This person is a diplomat that works for the Chief executive. That's why the Chief executive has appointment rights for the job.

Is it that hard to give some credit for a Black man in the white house?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The results continue to pile up.

Even if the diplomatic maneuvers fail when we get to the nitty gritty, Obama will have clear sailing to use a lot more force, and with widespread international support, and both Iran and Syria, and Russia, are aware of that now, making objective progress on the diplomatic goals much more likely now.

Well played, President Obama.  Hang tough, don't blink.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 26
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 27 2013, 11:07 pm)
Is it that hard to give some credit for a Black man in the white house?

Typical left. If your against him you must be a racist.  Forty three percent approval rating, that's a lot of racists.
 Post Number: 27
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiker01

"typical left"?

newsflash, despite the right-wing narrative, the right-wing is every bit as likely to throw around the
'racist' label as the left.  Remember how Glenn Beck smeared Obama as a racist, how Robert Reich was
smeared as a racist by the right, Rush Limbaugh is constantly smearing liberals as racists, etc....

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm, delicate diplomatic negotiations are so obvious to people that have trouble finding their butt with both hands. Good to know. Hiker01 will likely be appointed secretary of state when Michelle Bachman is elected president.  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 29
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Obama's Toughness Is Paying Off"

BO threatened to send Michelle in a big floral dress to negotiations.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well done Jimmy!  A Texas twofer.

Sexist and racist, with glee.

Are you running for statewide office??

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
43 replies since Sep. 23 2013, 1:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Obama's Toughness Is Paying Off
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions