2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Richard Dawkins Book< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 1:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a chance to follow in detail the growth of leading atheist from the boring middle class Christian that he was raised.

An Appetite for Wonder is a detailed memoir of Dawkin's life, so far.

This memoir is a fascinating account of one man's attempt to find answers to some of the most difficult questions posed to mankind.

http://www.npr.org/2013....-wonder

His experience sounds quite a bit like several posters here, except he is a very gifted biologist and popular writer!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread will go over great with Lame, Tdummie and JimmyCornhole I'll bet.

RD has forgot more about Science than the three amigos will ever know.
 Post Number: 3
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 1:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never been a big fan of Dawkins, he just comes across as too pompous for my taste.
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 6:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He had time to write and host "Family Feud"?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I loved him on Hogan's Heroes

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's correct, all British people are the same.

Actually Dawkins was born in Kenya, just like Obama.

Do some homework Jingos!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 26 2013, 9:34 am)
That's correct, all British people are the same.

Actually Dawkins was born in Kenya, just like Obama.

Do some homework Jingos!

I find all clowns to be the same.  Dawkins, or Dawkins, or tamarac.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to mention the fact that you have to be able to read to understand the book.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Comprehension is indeed part of the issue, although Tdummie hasn't figured that out yet.

He not yet comprehends that he does not comprehend well.

I'm tryin'!
:p
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tammie, all you're tryin' is my patience.  Even that is minor.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"New Richard Dawkins Book"

Who cares about Family Fued?................scheesh!

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hatfields and McCoys Jimmy, don't you know anything about peckerneck American history? Do they have schools in Texas?
 Post Number: 13
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wailer @ Sep. 26 2013, 1:38 am)
I've never been a big fan of Dawkins, he just comes across as too pompous for my taste.

I think that's because of the English accent. :D

There are a lot of feminists in the Freethinkers movement that feel the same way as you.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmmmm.....I have read almost all of Dawkins work, and heard him give lectures many times, and I just don't get the pompous idea. He is a sensitive emotional man who happens to be a brilliant Scientist and writer and has a passion for the way he see's our universe. He believes it is time for human developed science based secular societies and stop pandering to religions that are but a hallmark of human history. Religions are traditional and not actually needed anymore in his view. All he does is state that position and why. Just don't see a problem.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's that whole "Survey Says" thing that stinks of pomposity.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well sure. Reactionaries don't like surveys because they know everything already and don't need them. Just ask them.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 27 2013, 12:04 pm)
Well sure. Reactionaries don't like surveys because they know everything already and don't need them. Just ask them.

"Reactionaries don't like surveys"...............................I told you Family Fued, the survey says.........

--------------

Post Number: 18
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 26 2013, 5:41 am)

(TDale @ Sep. 26 2013, 7:32 pm)

(BillBab @ Sep. 26 2013, 7:40 am)

The "Three Amigos" indeed. They'd be funny if they weren't such pathetic losers.

Nothing changes in TPA, does it? Three idiots (who coincidentally prove the notion that a bad penny will always drive out the good), all of whom are intent on merely killing time and drawing attention to themselves because they have nothing else in their little lives.
ETA: Why don't the three of you swing down to your lowest common key and issue some "internet epithet" - in unison, of course.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Sep. 27 2013, 6:33 pm)

(TDale @ Sep. 26 2013, 5:41 am)

(TDale @ Sep. 26 2013, 7:32 pm)

(BillBab @ Sep. 26 2013, 7:40 am)

The "Three Amigos" indeed. They'd be funny if they weren't such pathetic losers.

Nothing changes in TPA, does it? Three idiots (who coincidentally prove the notion that a bad penny will always drive out the good), all of whom are intent on merely killing time and drawing attention to themselves because they have nothing else in their little lives.
ETA: Why don't the three of you swing down to your lowest common key and issue some "internet epithet" - in unison, of course.

Which three Gabby? Tdale, Tdale and BillBab?...........................LOL

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Revision-Reactionaries only like surveys if they agree with their pre-conceived ideas.

The three amigos I mentioned are Lamebeaver, Tdummie and JimmyCrackcorn. Oh don't fret there are many more here.

Billybabble for another.
 Post Number: 21
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw Dawkins in Yuppy City last year. He is a good speaker, and I enjoy some of his work.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 4:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 27 2013, 8:42 am)
Hmmmmm.....I have read almost all of Dawkins work, and heard him give lectures many times, and I just don't get the pompous idea. He is a sensitive emotional man who happens to be a brilliant Scientist and writer and has a passion for the way he see's our universe. He believes it is time for human developed science based secular societies and stop pandering to religions that are but a hallmark of human history. Religions are traditional and not actually needed anymore in his view. All he does is state that position and why. Just don't see a problem.

Yeah - I understand and agree with a good deal of what he believes as well. But it's easy to talk science to someone like you, preaching to the choir, so to speak. What he does a poor job of IMO is speaking to those who do not already agree with him or are on the fence. The various scientific fields IMO often lack true national/international ambassadors who can effectively transition between science and laymen speak, and do so while generating enthusiasm and excitement for their field of study. DeGrasse and Kaku are two physicists who do a good job of this and IMO Dawkins does not do the same for biology. Also, as Eco said, he is a stinkin' Brit so that doesn't help!  :D

I think Dawkins would be more effective if he stuck to positively speaking about what he does believe, without getting stuck in the debate of what he doesn't believe. I think the net efffect of what he would like to accomplish would be more effectively reached with that approach.

I am really looking forward to attending some upcoming events hosted by Lawrence Krauss and the Origins Institute at ASU:

Krauss with Bill Nye
Science Humor with Bill Nye the Science Guy
http://origins.asu.edu/events/science-humor-bill-nye-science-guy

REALLY looking forward to this one in Feb!
Great Debate Parallel Realities: Is There One Universe?
http://origins.asu.edu/events....niverse

Although I just realized it looks like they changed some of the speakers - a month or so ago it listed Hawking and ...someone else I cannot remember now.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wailer @ Sep. 28 2013, 2:26 am)

Yeah - I understand and agree with a good deal of what he believes as well. But it's easy to talk science to someone like you, preaching to the choir, so to speak. What he does a poor job of IMO is speaking to those who do not already agree with him or are on the fence. The various scientific fields IMO often lack true national/international ambassadors who can effectively transition between science and laymen speak, and do so while generating enthusiasm and excitement for their field of study. DeGrasse and Kaku are two physicists who do a good job of this and IMO Dawkins does not do the same for biology. Also, as Eco said, he is a stinkin' Brit so that doesn't help!  :D

I think Dawkins would be more effective if he stuck to positively speaking about what he does believe, without getting stuck in the debate of what he doesn't believe. I think the net efffect of what he would like to accomplish would be more effectively reached with that approach.

I am really looking forward to attending some upcoming events hosted by Lawrence Krauss and the Origins Institute at ASU:

Krauss with Bill Nye
Science Humor with Bill Nye the Science Guy
http://origins.asu.edu/events/science-humor-bill-nye-science-guy

REALLY looking forward to this one in Feb!
Great Debate Parallel Realities: Is There One Universe?
http://origins.asu.edu/events....niverse

Although I just realized it looks like they changed some of the speakers - a month or so ago it listed Hawking and ...someone else I cannot remember now.

One of the great ambassadors of science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxZ6MrBl9E

"A mind like that is a disgrace to the human species" = a pompous, off-putting statement that is great to get some applause from some of those who already agree with you, but does very little to advance science to those who have not embraced it. To be clear,  I am not saying this is representative of the entirety of who Dawkins is and in fact ultimately represents a smallish part of how he presents himself, but the tone of this video is one example of how he turns people off, even people like me who ultimately agree with his scientific views. Honestly, from what I have seen of some of your posts, you seem to have a similar approach...to each his own.

I would submit that the traditional views and applications of many religions/adherents are fundamentally wrong in looking at them as historical fact as opposed to metaphorical truths. This does not mean they are not needed anymore, it means the understanding and application of those religions needs to be adjusted. Even if you don't think this is the case, don't you think it is more reasonable "first step" toward your end game than jumping to "you are completely wrong and should change your point of view entirely"?
 Post Number: 25
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some people write books about finding God.  Some people write about a journey away from God.

Some find these books fascinating and inspirational.

Some people would rather read maps.
 Post Number: 26
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like reading maps, especially geologic maps. They can be very informative to a botanist. I don't expect some people to get this, but I do respect the opinions of the Gabby gentleman from Texas that isn't trying to win over the hopelessly deluded. Likewise Wailer, I respect your gentle ways of trying to teach. Everyone needs to pick their battles, with the skill set they bring to the fight. Some win over converts while others rally the base. Some have no skill for the fight whatsoever.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 28 2013, 1:45 pm)
I like reading maps, especially geologic maps. They can be very informative to a botanist. I don't expect some people to get this, but I do respect the opinions of the Gabby gentleman from Texas that isn't trying to win over the hopelessly deluded. Likewise Wailer, I respect your gentle ways of trying to teach. Everyone needs to pick their battles, with the skill set they bring to the fight. Some win over converts while others rally the base. Some have no skill for the fight whatsoever.

LOL

--------------

Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Sep. 28 2013, 11:45 am)

Eco - I always appreciate your perspective and agree that it is a good thing, and ultimately just a fact of reality to have different folks bring a varying degree of skill sets to the table and utilize those as effectively as possible, although sometimes I forget and just wish everyone would think like me - what a boring freaking world that would be! :D

Trevor Paglen has used his advanced degree in geography and skill in reading maps (both land and sky) to do some interesting photography. In the past he has been able to determine the location of secret government installations and photograph them from as much as 40 miles away with high power zoom lenses. He more recently has been working on "black satelite" photography, determining the location of spy satelites and capturing them with astrophotography techniques.

http://www.wired.com/culture/art/news/2008/06/secret_satellites

Paglen's initial interest in the government's so-called "black projects" took shape while combing through U.S. Geological Survey archives of satellite prison photos in 2002. He noticed that many of the photo frames of prison sites were missing or, in some cases, heavily edited.

"I thought: What the hell is this? We still have blank spots on maps? We've mapped the whole structure of the cosmos and the human genome, so what's this all about?" Paglen said.

Eventually, those blank spots led Paglen to other covert subjects and turned a hobby into a full-time job -- one with a decidedly political stance.

"For a time, people were getting arrested for photographing the Brooklyn Bridge," Paglen notes. "So to me, what it meant to do photography also changed. There was a new kind of politics to it -- something that was very aggressive and dangerous -- and a presumption that it would reveal some kind of truth or evidence."
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 4:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have posted this before, but seems again relevent (to me anyway). One of my favorite myths that illustrates how I think about current "gods" of many of today's religions, all thinking they are THE God, not realizing they are soon to be ants. The parallels to what I think about multiverse theories and the complexities of "existence", that to me dwarf current (~2,000 years) concepts of god are pretty fascinating...

At the gate of a grand, new palace that was being built, there appeared a beautiful blue boy with a lot of children around him, just admiring his beauty. The porter at the gate of the new palace went running in to the king god Indra, and Indra said, "Well, bring in the boy." The boy was brought in, and Indra, sitting on his throne said, "Young man, welcome. And what brings you to my palace?" "Well," said the boy with a voice like thunder rolling on the horizon, "I have been told that you are building such a palace as no Indra before you ever built." Surprised, Indra said, "Indras before me, young man— what are you talking about?"

The boy says, "Indras before you. I have seen them come and go, come and go. Just think, Vishnu sleeps in the cosmic ocean, and the lotus of the universe grows from his navel. On the lotus sits Brahma, the creator. Brahma opens his eyes, and a world comes into being, governed by an Indra. Brahma closes his eyes, and a world goes out of being. The life of a Brahma is 432,000 years. When he dies the lotus goes back, and another lotus is formed, and another Brahma. Then think of the galaxies beyond galaxies in infinite space, each a lotus, with a Brahma sitting on it, opening his eyes, closing his eyes. And Indras? There may be wise men in your court who would volunteer to count the drops of water in the oceans or the grains of sand on the beaches, but no one would count those Brahmin, let alone those Indras."

While the boy was talking, an army of ants paraded across the floor. The boy laughed when he saw them, and Indra's hair stood on end, and he says to the boy, "Why do you laugh?" The boy answered, "Don't ask unless you are willing to be hurt."

Indra says, "I ask. Teach." And so the boy points to the ants and says, "Former Indras all. Through many lifetimes they rise from the lowest conditions to the highest illumination, and then down they go again."
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big map reader, especially of the Winds. Secret government installations and spy satellites don't intrigue me however. Gave up the paranoia ghost at about 16 years old.
29 replies since Sep. 25 2013, 1:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Richard Dawkins Book
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions