2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What is the aim of Science?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 2:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

“The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom, but to set a limit to infinite error.”
&#8213; Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo

This says a lot and those who don't respect and understand Science should learn something here.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Reminds of some Einstein quotes:

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes....UXPK.99

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Indeed AE had some good ones. I particularly like this one-

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Good thing he doubted the former because inflationary theory says he was wrong. :D
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The aim of science is to attempt to explain what we observe.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Science is the methodology by which we gain understanding of the physical universe. Many of the results have practical applications.

Unfortunately, our capacity to develop applications is not matched by the wisdom to aim it wisely.

This is not helped by people who dismiss science when it conflicts with their ideological beliefs.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 6
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 27 2013, 2:09 pm)
This is not helped by people who dismiss science when it conflicts with their ideological beliefs.

Forgive them, for they know not what they are talking about.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 27 2013, 5:09 pm)
Science is the methodology by which we gain understanding of the physical universe. Many of the results have practical applications.

Unfortunately, our capacity to develop applications is not matched by the wisdom to aim it wisely.

"This is not helped by people who dismiss science when it conflicts with their ideological beliefs."

And vice versa............

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 8
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 27 2013, 3:03 pm)
"This is not helped by people who dismiss science when it conflicts with their ideological beliefs."

"Vice versa"? You mean people who dismiss their ideological beliefs when they conflict with science?

Actually, those people are helping.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Sep. 27 2013, 6:05 pm)

(JimmyC @ Sep. 27 2013, 3:03 pm)

"Vice versa"? You mean people who dismiss their ideological beliefs when they conflict with science?

Actually, those people are helping.

Yes TT................unlike some of you libbies, I don't just disagree because I don't always agree.

--------------

Post Number: 10
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

May I humbly submit: Posts #7 and #9 are proof, prima facie, of post #3.

But, apparently, the poster of those first two cited is living proof of post #3 in virtually all his posts. Not that that comes as a surprise to anyone.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Sep. 27 2013, 6:23 pm)
May I humbly submit: Posts #7 and #9 are proof, prima facie, of post #3.

But, apparently, the poster of those first two cited is living proof of post #3 in virtually all his posts. Not that that comes as a surprise to anyone.

Hold my hand Gabby....................

--------------

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Sep. 27 2013, 5:03 pm)

Jimmy, I don't think you understand your own reply.

My phrase "This is not helped" referred to the lack of wisdom in aiming the applications of science -- the applications being technology, industry, weaponry, etc. Do you or do you not think wisdom is required in how we utilize the practical applications of science?

If you agree that wisdom is required, isn't it necessary to understand the science in order to utilize it responsibly?

Those who willfully dismiss science are incapable of utilizing it in a responsible manner. There is no vice versa in this regard; did you even bother thinking about what your response meant in this context?

I assume you meant the inverse: "This is not helped" by those who dismiss ideological beliefs when it conflicts with science.

But let's remember what "This" refers to: Wisdom in how we aim scientific applications.

I'll try to explain "This" in terms you can understand. Think of science as a gun, which is a tool that can be used responsibly or irresponsibly. If you don't understand how the gun works or the potential consequences of misusing it, you lack the knowledge and the wisdom to use the gun responsibly.

Like it or not, the applications of science are being used on a daily basis. Whether or not we do so responsibly depends in large part on a solid understanding of science.

Acting responsibly also depends on having an enlightened set of values, and making a conscious decision to act for the betterment of mankind. This is where philosophy -- such as the teachings of Jesus Christ -- have value in the context of science. Religion and science are not conflicting ideologies, because science is not an ideological set of beliefs. They are two very different things, more unlike each other than apples & oranges which are both fruit.

The apple was plucked from the tree of knowledge a long time ago. We can't put it back. The 21st century includes amazing scientific & technological advancements -- but it is a gun that requires proper aim.

If you don't understand how the gun works, you won't be able to aim it responsibly.

Nevertheless, that's what your dismissal of science amounts to -- a willful decision to be ignorant about a potentially dangerous tool.

I'm just trying to help you, Jimmy; do you understand?

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually it is a little more complicated-science is a set of methodologies that attempts to describe what we do observe directly, and we can indirectly.

There are things that we cannot observe directly but we know exist, such as black holes, dark energy and matter, some sub-atomic particles etc.,
 Post Number: 14
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 1:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 27 2013, 6:02 pm)
Actually it is a little more complicated-science is a set of methodologies that attempts to describe what we do observe directly, and we can indirectly.

There are things that we cannot observe directly but we know exist, such as black holes, dark energy and matter, some sub-atomic particles etc.,

We can not observe these things, yet. As technology progresses, better tools and methods will become available to scientists. Those fundamental questions about the universe will be addressed.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 15
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 1:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Goal of science: fish out Deus absconditus.

Alternatively: explain nature.

Keep it simple.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 16
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 4:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Sep. 27 2013, 11:29 pm)
We can not observe these things, yet. As technology progresses, better tools and methods will become available to scientists. Those fundamental questions about the universe will be addressed.

I just posted this in another thread, but it somewhat  relates to your reply - you should head up to Tempe in Feb!

Great Debate Parallel Realities: Is There One Universe?
http://origins.asu.edu/events....niverse
 Post Number: 17
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

science =                nature                    
              verifiable facts + irrefutable logic
 Post Number: 18
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Sep. 28 2013, 1:29 am)
[We can not observe these things, yet. As technology progresses, better tools and methods will become available to scientists. Those fundamental questions about the universe will be addressed.

And bring to light things we know little or nothing about along with disproving things we now think of as "fact".

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 27 2013, 8:09 pm)

(JimmyC @ Sep. 27 2013, 5:03 pm)

Jimmy, I don't think you understand your own reply.

My phrase "This is not helped" referred to the lack of wisdom in aiming the applications of science -- the applications being technology, industry, weaponry, etc. Do you or do you not think wisdom is required in how we utilize the practical applications of science?

If you agree that wisdom is required, isn't it necessary to understand the science in order to utilize it responsibly?

Those who willfully dismiss science are incapable of utilizing it in a responsible manner. There is no vice versa in this regard; did you even bother thinking about what your response meant in this context?

I assume you meant the inverse: "This is not helped" by those who dismiss ideological beliefs when it conflicts with science.

But let's remember what "This" refers to: Wisdom in how we aim scientific applications.

I'll try to explain "This" in terms you can understand. Think of science as a gun, which is a tool that can be used responsibly or irresponsibly. If you don't understand how the gun works or the potential consequences of misusing it, you lack the knowledge and the wisdom to use the gun responsibly.

Like it or not, the applications of science are being used on a daily basis. Whether or not we do so responsibly depends in large part on a solid understanding of science.

Acting responsibly also depends on having an enlightened set of values, and making a conscious decision to act for the betterment of mankind. This is where philosophy -- such as the teachings of Jesus Christ -- have value in the context of science. Religion and science are not conflicting ideologies, because science is not an ideological set of beliefs. They are two very different things, more unlike each other than apples & oranges which are both fruit.

The apple was plucked from the tree of knowledge a long time ago. We can't put it back. The 21st century includes amazing scientific & technological advancements -- but it is a gun that requires proper aim.

If you don't understand how the gun works, you won't be able to aim it responsibly.

Nevertheless, that's what your dismissal of science amounts to -- a willful decision to be ignorant about a potentially dangerous tool.

I'm just trying to help you, Jimmy; do you understand?

Drifty, Drifty, Drifty................I understand completely, it's libbies, that won't accept another way of thinking, even a little bit.
But the mere thought of you exposing Jesus Christ teachings sure makes everything you have said before a mute point.
And the gun thing, uh, a person doesn't need too know how it works (and I dare say a lot of people don't) to make it work, sometimes a bad aim is more deadly than a good aim. So Drifty, stop plucking fruit from trees and actually taste one, so you will have the knowledge of which is an apple and which is an orange.

Just tryin' to help.................... :;):

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jimmy, I'm not sure if yer tryin or not, but alas you still don't understand.

You better get rid of your guns, since you don't know how they work or how to aim them. The "deadly" result can be a self inflicted wound.

You're right about one thing: the "other way of thinking" -- willful ignorance, with unintended consequences, is totally unacceptable.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 28 2013, 6:20 pm)
Jimmy, I'm not sure if yer tryin or not, but alas you still don't understand.

You better get rid of your guns, since you don't know how they work or how to aim them. The "deadly" result can be a self inflicted wound.

You're right about one thing: the "other way of thinking" -- willful ignorance, with unintended consequences, is totally unacceptable.

Now listen Drifty.................I understand the red one is an apple and the orange one is an orange.

I know how duns work and ,u aim is....okay.....and that makes it even more effective. It's kind of like a dog's bark and bite, and in that way, the sound keeps me from having to kill.

And, what is unacceptable to some is acceptable to others, making the "other way of thinking", the other way to think.

--------------

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My bet is you don't understand dogs either, the reason being you make a conscious decision to choose willful ignorance.

I will never, ever, make that choice.

I also doubt you know JC, since the rightwing ideology which you embrace is antithetical to his teachings.

One of these days you'll wake up, I hope. Your country needs you.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 27 2013, 9:02 pm)

It's the we know part that always throws me.

You don't "know" Jack Shmidtt.  You just want it accepted that you do.

Accept the uncertainty of your certainties and we might have a place to start having a discussion.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 28 2013, 8:15 pm)
My bet is you don't understand dogs either, the reason being you make a conscious decision to choose willful ignorance.

I will never, ever, make that choice.

I also doubt you know JC, since the rightwing ideology which you embrace is antithetical to his teachings.

One of these days you'll wake up, I hope. Your country needs you.

Drifty, I am a cat person over dogs, which is my conscious decision.

I consider that my choice.

Well, it's true I haven't met JC, although I believe I know him spiritually. But like libbies, THEY are the only ones that are ethical, or so THEY think.

And, I am wide awake, hoping this country wakes up to BO and his socialist thinking.

--------------

Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you think this president is a socialist, that's just more ignorance on your part. You're asleep, but you don't even know it.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 27 2013, 2:25 pm)
“The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom, but to set a limit to infinite error.”

This says a lot and those who don't respect and understand Science should learn something here.

That last line is exceedingly ironic.  How so?  Because so many of the atheists on this fourm who claim to revere science and the rational mind repeatedly claim that science "proves" that god does not and cannot exist.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(craigwill @ Sep. 28 2013, 4:34 pm)
science =                nature                    
              verifiable facts + irrefutable logic

Indeed.  But what happens when the right side of this equation is inverted?  I ask, because new discoveries are constantly turning science on its head.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 28 2013, 9:13 pm)
If you think this president is a socialist, that's just more ignorance on your part. You're asleep, but you don't even know it.

Observation bias?  

Did someone say "is a socialist" or did he say " "socialist thinking".  I believe there is a significant difference.

Just as there is a huge difference between "our nation is socialist" and "our nation is sliding toward socialism".

So who's asleep again and is that the cause of the observation bias?
 Post Number: 29
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Sep. 28 2013, 11:00 pm)

(tamarac @ Sep. 27 2013, 2:25 pm)

That last line is exceedingly ironic.  How so?  Because so many of the atheists on this fourm who claim to revere science and the rational mind repeatedly claim that science "proves" that god does not and cannot exist.

I've never read those words here. Perhaps they were implied, but more likely they were inferred by you, because that fits your narrative. You have a story to tell, and nothing that others say, will alter the divine revelation that you have to communicate to the world.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 30
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is no doubt, we have unanimous consent!

Jimmy's "mute" points are his best, by far.  

LOL

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
47 replies since Sep. 27 2013, 2:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What is the aim of Science?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions