2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 200 billion tons of Carbon Dioxide later< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 12:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.climatechange2013.org/images....013.pdf
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 5:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Humans almost certainly cause global warming, scientific panel

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nationa....ry.html

"A panel of the world’s leading climate scientists strongly asserted Friday that “it is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause” of global warming since 1950 and warned of more rapid ice melt and rising seas if governments do not aggressively act to reduce the pace of greenhouse gas emissions."

Can't wait for Cruz to start reading this puppy on the floor of the Senate.
 Post Number: 3
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This A.M., CNN had a news clip reporting the high tide marks of Newport and Miami were slowly but consistently going up, the chief fear being the storm surge of a powerful hurricane doing more damage, .... plus more powerful storms all over the country (more fires, floods, and tornados).   Guess we will just need to measure these events as greenhouse gases are a global problem; my last assignment in central Asia we noted the place is so eroded they aren't going to notice a difference, .... so more catastrophe for North America?  They don't care - they just want their economic growth and China will sacrifice people for growth as well. 

New data to that effect will change the actuary models of the insurers and cause domestic premiums to rise.  So get those checkbooks ready.  Last I read FL Gov. Scott was doing everything he could to keep reinsurance partners to the states disaster fund from running.  One more big hurricane, FL taxpayers may need to self-insure (as a state of course).   If more disasters happen, this means more federal disaster proclamations and borrowing as these tend to be "off-budget".

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 4
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya know, every since SUPER STORM SANDY............scheesh.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 5
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's pretty incoherent -- even for you, Jimmy!
(have you been practicing?)

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 6
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Came across a good documentary on the potential of climate change shutting down the Gulf Stream and disrupting weather patterns in northern Europe. I've heard of this theory before - the melting polar ice dumps fresh water into the North Atlantic which dilutes the salt content that helps determine how the current behaves. Once the salinity drops to a certain level, the Gulf Stream could shut down and send northern Europe into another Little Ice Age.

The program does a great job of showing how much warmth is actually transferred from the Gulf into the coastal areas of Scotland where tropical plants are easily grown. There's also some good computer animation showing the path of the Gulf Stream and what the salt effect does. Interesting stuff.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAEucg6teg
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got my hair shirt.  Got my flail.  Beating myself.  You happy?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You global warming alarmists better stop breathing so hard....or the EPA SWAT team will come break down your door because of the increase in C02

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Speaking of the joke line of Sandy?

Just spent a day in Lower Manhattan where major transportation infrastructure is still undergoing repair (the then new Whitehall subway station is still closed for instance along with others in the Battery), shops and stores fronting the parks along that coast remain shuttered and the big shopping entertainment pier up at Southstreet Seaport remains shuttered and one of the subway tunnels connecting Manhattan to Brooklyn is closed for repairs as seawater wrecked just about everything for its length.

Tilting the odds toward further storm damage by increasing sea level will push a lot of our coastal resources into further risk of damage and loss: not all that funny to those that lose their livelihood, their life's possessions and their home or the people that will suffer as scarce resources go to storm damage repair instead of something to further our nation but instead goes to try and just get it back to where it was before the storm hit.

Returning to the status quo means losing ground.

On the plus side I discovered some nice little side streets like Stone Street, referred to as reportedly the oldest paved street in America that at least on the weekends is turned into a long cobblestone lane of umbrella'd tables for all the restaurants now occupying the flanking 1840's buildings. The walk down from the Seaport around to the Staten Island Ferry terminal was a lot more pleasant than the last time I did it in the teeth of a huge Christmas blizzard. Lol
8 replies since Sep. 28 2013, 12:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 200 billion tons of Carbon Dioxide later
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions