2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: High Noon or High Midnight, Who will blink first.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 1:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our goverment reminds me of our forum here................kinda fun, huh.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see no reason for the Senate or President to change their minds.  If the Obstructionists want to shut down the gov't, they can live with the election results later.  This is about the 3rd time they have tried to pull this crap, and it is about time they get slapped for it.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they'd wanted a reasonable dialog they've had Six Months to nominate the House members to the budget conference committee in response to the Senate passing a different budget to the House version. Yet the Republicans never bothered preferring instead to go the extortion route. Wasn't it George W. Bush who famously refused to negotiate with terrorists?
 Post Number: 4
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 30 2013, 11:18 am)
Wasn't it George W. Bush who famously refused to negotiate with terrorists?

It was Reagan, although IIRC that message was undercut by some deals they actually made with terrorists. (Also, by the fact that his administration was funding terrorists in Nicaragua.)

Still, in the present context the advice remains valid.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's right JimmyCornbread. Half of congress are trolls too.
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

President Obama is not blinking.

Extortion will not work on this subject.

Besides, he would love to see a Democrat majority in the House in 2014!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
Shnick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our president will now negotiate with Syrian terrorist (the same ones we've been fighting for over 10 years now) but he refuses to talk to the republicans.

the rest of the world is laughing at us.

--------------
Get out there...
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But mainly at the Republicans.

There has never been a President who has tried harder to talk and negoiate with the other side than Obama.  But the Party of NO has made it their signature policy to never make a deal with Obama.  

They know that he is many times more intelligent than they are, and they will lose every encounter, so best not to got there.  No matter how bad the results may be for the country, and even, for their own political party!!

What a bunch of naifs!!

They do not like you Barack Obama,
Wether on a plane, a train, or llama.

They do not like you shooting skeet,
They do not like you eating meat.

They do not like you drinking beer,
or even if you roped a steer.

They won't like you with the monster trucks,
because, young man, they do not give a fuhq....

They do not like you when you prey,
They did not like you anti-gay.

They do not like you cutting tax,
You could not stand... when you wore your mommy slacks...

You cannot reach across the aisle,
Cuz everything you do is vile.

They complained when you killed Osama...

So, on a plane, a train, or a llama,
Rolling a 44 at Bowlerama,
Despite your nice white Kansas mama.

Coma.

They do not like you, Barack Obama.

http://www.dailykos.com/story....ike-you

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pubs closed up shop.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/politic....0000205

Fighting Assad for ten years? Bullcrap.

Oh and the president plus Russia just got Assad to cough up all of his chemical weapons. Not a bad days work.
 Post Number: 10
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Shnick @ Sep. 30 2013, 10:21 pm)
Our president will now negotiate with Syrian terrorist (the same ones we've been fighting for over 10 years now) but he refuses to talk to the republicans.

I think you're being a little extreme, equating Republicans with terrorists. Extortionists or hostage takers yes, but terrorists usually just attack without making demands first.

You may have a good idea though, in how President Obama should deal with Republicans. He threatened to bomb Syria if Assad didn't agree to give up his chemical weapons, and now he's agreed to do that. However, I'm not sure what kind of similar leverage the president has over the Teanuts in Congress. I think he'll probably just give them enough rope so they can hang themselves, which they seem eager to do.

And I think you're probably right that the rest of the world is laughing at us. Most of the civilized world has health insurance for all their citizens, while the greatest nation on earth has 50 million uninsured. Then 4 years after both houses of Congress pass and the president signs into law a conservative idea (originally hatched at the Heritage Foundation) to expand private health insurance markets to most of the uninsured, a minority of rightwing extremists in the House wail and gnash their teeth that this expansion of health insurance upheld by the Supreme Court as Constitutional is some kind of unconstitutional assault on freedom.

As if that isn't ridiculous enough, after failing 40+ times to repeal the law through normal legislative means, they try to do it by forcing a crisis of shutting down the government and possibly defaulting on paying our bills. Imagine if it was the other way around, with the president demanding that his legislative agenda be passed in this manner -- the same folks who are employing that tactic now would be screaming for impeachment.

And the real topper is that these same House Republicans have had nearly 6 months to reconcile the different budgets passed by the House and Senate, but during all that time they have refused to go into conference with the Senate to negotiate a compromise -- and now their latest talking point is that the president will negotiate with terrorists but not with them!!!

The funniest thing is that some people actually swallow that nonsense and regurgitate it on internet forums!  :laugh:  :p  :O

But it's really not funny at all, because such tactics could do real harm to real people and to our economy. The United States is ostensibly the shining example of how a representative democarcy should work, but a relative handful of batguano crazy extremists has hijacked a once great political party and is trying to enact their legislative agenda through extortion after failing repeatedly to do it through the legislative process enumerated in our Constitution.

Shnick, I'm just as outraged as you are, but I still can't bring myself to equate Republicans with terrorists as you have. Hopefully enough American voters will come to their senses in 2014 and kick the kooks out of Congress!

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Sep. 30 2013, 11:40 pm)
But mainly at the Republicans.

There has never been a President who has tried harder to talk and negoiate with the other side than Obama.  But the Party of NO has made it their signature policy to never make a deal with Obama.  

They know that he is many times more intelligent than they are, and they will lose every encounter, so best not to got there.  No matter how bad the results may be for the country, and even, for their own political party!!

What a bunch of naifs!!

They do not like you Barack Obama,
Wether on a plane, a train, or llama.

They do not like you shooting skeet,
They do not like you eating meat.

They do not like you drinking beer,
or even if you roped a steer.

They won't like you with the monster trucks,
because, young man, they do not give a fuhq....

They do not like you when you prey,
They did not like you anti-gay.

They do not like you cutting tax,
You could not stand... when you wore your mommy slacks...

You cannot reach across the aisle,
Cuz everything you do is vile.

They complained when you killed Osama...

So, on a plane, a train, or a llama,
Rolling a 44 at Bowlerama,
Despite your nice white Kansas mama.

Coma.

They do not like you, Barack Obama.

http://www.dailykos.com/story....ike-you

"But mainly at the Republicans."....................................LOL, nah, the world could careless about our democrats and republicans, they see us as just one.
And besides, they could care less, they have far more problems than to worry about us..........come on, get real www.

--------------

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 30 2013, 11:58 pm)
Pubs closed up shop.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/politic....0000205

Fighting Assad for ten years? Bullcrap.

Oh and the president plus Russia just got Assad to cough up all of his chemical weapons. Not a bad days work.

"Oh and the president plus Russia just got Assad to cough up all of his chemical weapons. Not a bad days work."..................................Uh, cough cough, yep, Assad and Syria do not have anymore chemical weapons, none, absolutely none, not a single drop, nothing........................LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL.
And,
Iran is our buddy now, we can trust everything they say, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL.

--------------

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Sep. 30 2013, 11:58 pm)

(Shnick @ Sep. 30 2013, 10:21 pm)

I think you're being a little extreme, equating Republicans with terrorists. Extortionists or hostage takers yes, but terrorists usually just attack without making demands first.

You may have a good idea though, in how President Obama should deal with Republicans. He threatened to bomb Syria if Assad didn't agree to give up his chemical weapons, and now he's agreed to do that. However, I'm not sure what kind of similar leverage the president has over the Teanuts in Congress. I think he'll probably just give them enough rope so they can hang themselves, which they seem eager to do.

And I think you're probably right that the rest of the world is laughing at us. Most of the civilized world has health insurance for all their citizens, while the greatest nation on earth has 50 million uninsured. Then 4 years after both houses of Congress pass and the president signs into law a conservative idea (originally hatched at the Heritage Foundation) to expand private health insurance markets to most of the uninsured, a minority of rightwing extremists in the House wail and gnash their teeth that this expansion of health insurance upheld by the Supreme Court as Constitutional is some kind of unconstitutional assault on freedom.

As if that isn't ridiculous enough, after failing 40+ times to repeal the law through normal legislative means, they try to do it by forcing a crisis of shutting down the government and possibly defaulting on paying our bills. Imagine if it was the other way around, with the president demanding that his legislative agenda be passed in this manner -- the same folks who are employing that tactic now would be screaming for impeachment.

And the real topper is that these same House Republicans have had nearly 6 months to reconcile the different budgets passed by the House and Senate, but during all that time they have refused to go into conference with the Senate to negotiate a compromise -- and now their latest talking point is that the president will negotiate with terrorists but not with them!!!

The funniest thing is that some people actually swallow that nonsense and regurgitate it on internet forums!  :laugh:  :p  :O

But it's really not funny at all, because such tactics could do real harm to real people and to our economy. The United States is ostensibly the shining example of how a representative democarcy should work, but a relative handful of batguano crazy extremists has hijacked a once great political party and is trying to enact their legislative agenda through extortion after failing repeatedly to do it through the legislative process enumerated in our Constitution.

Shnick, I'm just as outraged as you are, but I still can't bring myself to equate Republicans with terrorists as you have. Hopefully enough American voters will come to their senses in 2014 and kick the kooks out of Congress!

"Shnick, I'm just as outraged as you are, but I still can't bring myself to equate Republicans with terrorists as you have. Hopefully enough American voters will come to their senses in 2014 and kick the kooks out of Congress!".......................................Y'all had it once before (so did the republicans) and did nothing...............see, this could have all been avoided. ???

--------------

Post Number: 15
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 3:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, now we've gone there. Now we get to see who works well under pressure. I'm not sure what kind of idiot thinks that the country will work better if everyone is pi$$ed off, but that is where we are.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 16
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 6:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

during all that time they have refused to go into conference with the Senate to negotiate a compromise

Both sides have made compromises. The problem is they each refuse to budge on the same issue.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 17
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 6:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sad state of public education when the meaning of compromise and negotiation are unknown to so many.

This is the president that will talk to Iran but he will not talk to congress. Instead of conferences he has press confereces...where he will not have to answer any difficult questions.

Both sides managed to agree on paying the troops but they will not even discuss making congress participate in the ACA.

That shows you how political this really is...and how silly it is to blame only one side

Since this is a backpacking site....sometimes....what does everyone think about this idea.

Is it time to privatize National Parks and Monuments? Seems to me that if we can outsource top secret clearances we can certainly outsource the gift shop at the Statue of Liberty!

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 6:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Oct. 01 2013, 3:26 am)
OK, now we've gone there. Now we get to see who works well under pressure. I'm not sure what kind of idiot thinks that the country will work better if everyone is pi$$ed off, but that is where we are.

Eco, YOU are correct and I agree with what you say................and I will say, this country needs to get pissed off.
One way of the other, this constant gridlock in government is a waste of EVEYONES time!

--------------

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Oct. 01 2013, 12:35 am)
Y'all had it once before (so did the republicans) and did nothing...............see, this could have all been avoided. ???

Jimmy, what is the "it" to which you refer?

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 7:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 01 2013, 5:32 am)
during all that time they have refused to go into conference with the Senate to negotiate a compromise

Both sides have made compromises. The problem is they each refuse to budge on the same issue.

No, it's not "Both sides." The Senate has been willing to go into conference to reconcile the budgets, but the House Republicans have not.

And, as has been pointed out, they are now trying to accomplish through a government shutdown what they have repeatedly failed to do through normal legislative means.

The ACA (aka "Obamacare") was passed by both houses of congress, signed by the president, and upheld by the SCOTUS. It is the law of the land. What we have here is one side using a government shutdown (and possibly a default on government debt) to repeal or delay an existing law.

They've had 6 months to reconcile the budget through conference with the Senate, but have refused to particpate in that process. They have been aiming for this government shutdown all along.

It's not "Both sides" doing this. It's one side.

Period.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 7:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately, the Republicans have no regard for elections, past or future.

Romney put the repeal of the ACA front and center, promising to repeal it on his first day in office.  The majority of voters said "no you won't."  The tea party wants to get what the voters wouldn't give them by holding the budget hostage.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is very much like election eve last November.

Some people can count, some people cannot.

The will and preferences of the people were clearly expressed last November, and they will be again.

This problem would not be happening if the Republicans had not rigged the elections in enough states through gerrymandering to avoid letting the American voters express their will in the voting booth.

Even though about 1.5 million more voters in House elections voted Democrat, the Republicans still held their majority, and they think that they have such a lock on their skewed districts they don't have to pay attention to the majority of Americans.

But, they will find that they do.  When it is the major corporations, the CEOs and the ultra rich investors who start losing due to their childish selfishness, they will cave pretty fast, or find that they lose in a landslide in 2014.

Just sayn'.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 01 2013, 3:32 am)

With the Republican House refusing to even bother to name members to the budget conference committee for four months and counting I find that rather amusing.
 Post Number: 24
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Oct. 01 2013, 3:41 am)
This is the president that will talk to Iran but he will not talk to congress.

Negotiations with Iran will be difficult and there are all kinds of things that could derail them, but there's a chance they could end in a deal that makes the world safer.

Republicans have proven over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again that negotiating with them is a complete waste of time.

See the difference?

Is it time to privatize National Parks and Monuments? Seems to me that if we can outsource top secret clearances we can certainly outsource the gift shop at the Statue of Liberty!

Spoken like a true BillBab.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obamacare: Website glitches prevent enrollment

http://blog.chron.com/healthz....id=hpfc

--------------

Post Number: 26
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those who think that Democrats are more at fault for the government shutting down or that
both major parties are equally to blame, the following video from the Rachel Maddow show shows
actual  Republicans in congress saying they intend to shutdown the government even before the
2010 elections as well as shortly after the 2010 election.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddow/53151808/#53151808

and for those who want to say "oh this is from that lefty Rachel Maddow"... Well Ok but how
is that relevant when the video actually shows Republicans in their own words saying they want
to shut the government down? What you think Rachel and her producer doctored the video to make
it seem those Republicans said that when they didn't?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Oct. 01 2013, 3:10 pm)
For those who think that Democrats are more at fault for the government shutting down or that
both major parties are equally to blame, the following video from the Rachel Maddow show shows
actual  Republicans in congress saying they intend to shutdown the government even before the

and for those who want to say "oh this is from that lefty Rachel Maddow"... Well Ok but how
is that relevant when the video actually shows Republicans in their own words saying they want
to shut the government down? What you think Rachel and her producer doctored the video to make

Rachel Maddow + DTM = SAME

--------------

Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Oct. 01 2013, 1:19 pm)

Therefore what?

Just about everyone anticipated technical gliches on the website on the first day
(heck there will be technical gliches for some time.)

Something this big is going to have technical gliches. WTF is your point?

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Oct. 01 2013, 3:13 pm)

(JimmyC @ Oct. 01 2013, 1:19 pm)

Therefore what?

Just about everyone anticipated technical gliches on the website on the first day
(heck there will be technical gliches for some time.)

Something this big is going to have technical gliches. WTF is your point?

Oh, just sayin'.......................................

--------------

Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Oct. 01 2013, 3:13 pm)

(Dennis The Menace @ Oct. 01 2013, 3:10 pm)

Rachel Maddow + DTM = SAME

So do you think Rachel doctored that video of those Republicans calling for the shutdown of the government?

--------------
39 replies since Sep. 30 2013, 1:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply High Noon or High Midnight
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions