2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Liberals and Conservatives here.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You all make me sick. Continue with your petty, meaningless, pathetic exchanges. You're making a difference in the world, really, you are.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I fall squarely into neither category, but I think that some really good discussions actually take place here, and a lot of us try to do our best to actually support what we're saying.

One of my favorite sayings is "clarity over agreement." I'd at least like to hear another opinion, even if I don't end up being convinced by it. That's a Dennis Praeger saying, so I can't take credit for it.

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It appears like most discussions involve conservatives making bogus, unsubstantiated statements, with the liberal response being to beg for substantiation. Pretty pointless altogether.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 4
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a whiny bitch.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 5
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And not very observant, either. Plenty of substatiation in these threads debunking rightwing bogus statements, if one bothers reading past the snark and comedy.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 6
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Posters with viewpoints other than liberal/democrat post citations / substantiation too, thanks.

See: me.

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 7
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Oct. 02 2013, 5:31 pm)
It appears like most discussions involve conservatives making bogus, unsubstantiated statements, with the liberal response being to beg for substantiation. Pretty pointless altogether.

That's a total strawman argument and you know it.
 Post Number: 8
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Oct. 02 2013, 4:31 pm)

Prove it!    Link?
 Post Number: 9
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:p
 Post Number: 10
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Oct. 02 2013, 4:11 pm)
You all make me sick. Continue with your petty, meaningless, pathetic exchanges. You're making a difference in the world, really, you are.

Holy cow!

You've been particularly edgy lately, amigo.  Not enough fiber in your diet?

Let me buy you a bran muffin.  Heck, I'll even throw in an REI gift card.   :)
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Apparently something happened to interrupt the blue meth source in Boulder!

What a tragedy.

Don't worry, the cookers will soon be dug out of the flood and life will go on, maybe a slight bump in price.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yosemite girl
Well, I fall squarely into neither category, but I think that some really good discussions actually take place here, and a lot of us try to do our best to actually support what we're saying.

One of my favorite sayings is "clarity over agreement." I'd at least like to hear another opinion, even if I don't end up being convinced by it. That's a Dennis Praeger saying, so I can't take credit for it.

Well said! I agree - especially with the, "I'd at least like to hear another opinion, even if I don't end up being convinced by it."
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're absolutely right.
 Post Number: 14
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 12:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe this will help calm down your rage, Remi.
 Post Number: 15
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 1:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over on another board I frequent-which has nothing to do with politics, either, but plenty of posts about it, just switch right-wing for left-wing, and the arguments almost sound identical.
I submit that each board is preaching to it's own choir.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 2:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cases in point.

Nice.

Givin' that Boulda love to ya'll out thea.

WWest, would you like to explain your interesting reaction?

--------------
 Post Number: 17
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 7:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Oct. 02 2013, 6:11 pm)

Physician, heal thyself.
 Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 8:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are a lot of people here who have a lot of intelligent things to say.

Unfortunately, there is no one listening to anything they say.

The liberals are all in agreement.

The conservatives are all in agreement.  Throw in a few nuts, just to shake things up.

But in the end, no one is going to change anyone's mind.  They're basically just pissin in the wind.
 Post Number: 19
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lamebeaver
But in the end, no one is going to change anyone's mind.

Not so in my experience. Posts in this forum have changed, and more often swayed, my opinions on issues. And I think that is true with many who post here.

Most who post here respect and value different opinions - although there are a few with the agenda of singling out and ganging up and running off posters just for kicks. But by far the general attitude is that well thought out opinions are considered and supporting links are encouraged to validate those opinions. The result is that most who post here think through and research their posts.

The well thought out and logical debate that follows is the reason that I frequent this forum.

I also have to take issue with buzzards comment:
I submit that each board is preaching to it's own choir.

My experience with this forum is that there are still plenty of differing views and opinions. But I think that buzzards is right about many of the other boards. In those other boards those who single out and gang up and run off posters because they have a different opinion have been successful. Their success has meant that their boards end up being composed of dopplegangers who echo each other - boring!

There has been some of that here in the past. But most of the people who chat here understand this and the few troublemakers have not been successful of late. I think that the loss of Pros a few years ago shocked many and enlightened TPA regulars to this strategy of singling out, ganging up, and running off.

The result has been that this forum remains populated by people of different views who for the most part are respectful of each others' opinions and INTERESTED in understanding differing points of view. Personal attacks, name calling, and obnoxiousness are correctly seen as strategies used when a person has no valid point to make by most here. This means that this is one of the most civil forums where debate points and persuasion skills reign.
 Post Number: 20
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't forget about the libertarians. They get mad when include or don't include them in anything.
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wycan, WW, many thanks for a couple of needed morning chuckles.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good grief Rem get over yourself. This is an internet forum, not an exercise in political scholarship. Get a life dude. Nobody is here to make a difference or change the world. Everybody is here to chat, voice opinions, screw around and basically pass the time.

It's our social primate inheritance at work.

You take all of this way, way too serious. If politics bothers you sooo much why and the hell do you spend time here, of all places?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And FWIW, I have not spent much time here until recently because I have spent the better part of a decade or so on academic type forums, where nearly everybody is credentialed, the debates are serious usually, and points do change peoples ways of thinking.

This forum is really a light weight exercise. Thus the sarcastic humor from me generally.

I have for many years now had routine daily discussions with Theoretical Physicists., PHD'd Psychologists and Neuroscientists, Biologists, Philosophy professors and students and other assorted scholarly type 'folks'

So if anybody here wants real heavy discussions or serious ones that ARE trying to make a difference find one of those.

Dudes, this just ain't it.
 Post Number: 24
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He hasn't gotten any in a while.
 Post Number: 25
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Oct. 03 2013, 8:11 am)

It's called the "Hawaiian Disease". Lakkanuki.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is humerous actually. Thus from now on I expect only peer-reviewed literature to be posted here for all to view.

By god we backpackers will change the world! Or at least understand those that do.
 Post Number: 27
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 03 2013, 11:24 am)

(Marmotstew @ Oct. 03 2013, 8:11 am)

It's called the "Hawaiian Disease". Lakkanuki.

Best post in ages.

In all seriousness I do not see many ACTUAL liberals or conservatives here. Many here perceived as "liberals" actually demonstrate kens long considered to be MODERATE  before Ronald Reagan's election. Since then the political center of this country has shifted so far to the right real conservatives have just about all been wiped out. Real conservatives would have never waged "war" without even considering how to fund it. Real conservatives would never have lapplauded one POTUS rack up obscene debt in non-recessionary economies but condemed another POTUS for relatively feeble stimuli after inheriting the worst financial crisis this county has known since Hoover.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 28
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agreed that arguing politics online is a virtual Mexican stand off, preceded by copious amounts of mental masturbation.

If as much energy went into solving problems as goes into these debates, we might get somewherez.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 29
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know if Reminiscence drives a black Infinity with Connecticut license plates?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are you idiots even babbling about? See what I did there? Personal attacks. TPA way.

Tamarac: It is the folks who frequent TPA 7 days a week that need lives. I have plenty of life to live  -thank you for the concern.

--------------
39 replies since Oct. 02 2013, 7:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Liberals and Conservatives here.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions