2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: People are going crazy, What will tomorrow bring?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 6:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-20....al-mall
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me be the first to suggest a solution, in the manner of the right and their emphasis on "personal responsibility":

We set up areas in parks and perhaps specially designated areas with dish-shaped concrete bowls about 20' across for those who wish to set themselves on fire. First come, first served.

We set up small bulletproof rooms throughout all cities so that people who wish to shoot themselves can safely do so.

We provide enclosed raceways for those who wish to do themselves in with autos and other vehicles (perhaps we could have special venues for trucks, tractors and other various vehicles).

We finance all of it by providing adjoining arenas, and sell tickets and snack foods. We call it something snappy like "The Roamin' For 'Em" - meaning the facilities for those who wish to depart this earth rapidly. All the concession stand operators, and the vendors of drinks and snacks in the stands could wear togas.
 Post Number: 3
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you think we could have special venues set up for Xtians?  Maybe fighting lions or robots?  

Maybe call them Greece Pits??  Or Uncaged?

And all sponsored by Pizza Hut!!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is what easy access to gasoline and matches causes

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Oct. 05 2013, 6:18 am)

I'm somewhat surprised that the whackjobs tend to choose firearms for their assaults instead of a sack full of Molotov cocktails. Easy access to components and easy to assemble. Fire causes more panic, structural damage and severe injuries than wildly spraying bullets around.
Hell, set off ONE firecracker to simulate a gunshot and a place goes into lockdown. THEN toss firebombs.

Edit:
OK... so what if they did do this? What kind of "gasoline control" could be implemented to prevent it?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 10:31 am)

(BillBab @ Oct. 05 2013, 6:18 am)

I'm somewhat surprised that the whackjobs tend to choose firearms for their assaults instead of a sack full of Molotov cocktails. Easy access to components and easy to assemble. Fire causes more panic, structural damage and severe injuries than wildly spraying bullets around.
Hell, set off ONE firecracker to simulate a gunshot and a place goes into lockdown. THEN toss firebombs.

Edit:
OK... so what if they did do this? What kind of "gasoline control" could be implemented to prevent it?

I see your "cars kill more people than guns" meme is evolving into an even more illogical argument.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You got your kind of joke, I got mine.

You know the answer to your question "Why don't they use gasoline?" - that's easy. Firearms are also "easy" - too easy. There's no comparison of the two in terms of flexibility of use. There's a reason why the bomber doesn't "hang around" after deploying his "weapon". Bombs and gasoline are not easily used for defense: targeting is essentially non-existent because there's very little control of the weapon and you can't deploy its effect rapidly repeatedly with any effectiveness. Firearms win that match up as well as most of the others anyone would consider who was intent on mayhem. Unless the guy in this incident was pushing a lawn mower and wearing coveralls, I have no idea how he walked into a public space with a red gasoline can - which points out the other problem: bombs and gasoline are relatively bulky and relatively hard to conceal as weapons.

These kinds of comparisons are spurious.

We've had this discussion many times already. Like the automobiles it fuels, gasoline has other uses than as a way of committing suicide. If gasoline (or automobiles, for that matter) became the most popular weapon for committing atrocities or offing oneself, restrictions would be put in place, or modifications of sales, access or the form in which it is dispensed would be considered.

But firearms are sacrosanct. We can't do anything to make them safer for fear of antagonizing the gun lobby.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a reason why the bomber doesn't "hang around" after deploying his "weapon". Bombs and gasoline are not easily used for defense:

I'm referring to the suicidals who want to cause the most injury and death with no intent of surviving the attack.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My point was that those things to which you are comparing guns have other uses, and they are, in fact, regulated, controlled and modified when they are found to be dangerous weapons. Firearms, which have no other use than to kill living things, are not, apparently, liable to any control or modification of form or usage because of the gun lobby.

If all we needed firearms for was target competition, they could be much less dangerous and much less lethal and use much smaller repositories of ammunition and fire more slowly and not be required to propel a projectile so far - and on and on.

If all we needed firearms for was hunting, the devices could be safely stored at locations where that hobby is pursued, and adaptations could be made to the devices for each type of prey.

But we need firearms for war, and for killing others, and for protection against our worst nightmares on the street and in our homes - nightmares that, as a real and present danger, come nowhere near the outrageous response to them in acquisition and possession of firearms.

I see a serious social derangement here - why don't you?
 Post Number: 10
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's part of natures adaptation.

A skunk never smells himself.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My point was that those things to which you are comparing guns have other uses

Drunk driving has a legitimate purpose?

Firearms, which have no other use than to kill living things, are not, apparently, liable to any control or modification of form or usage because of the gun lobby.

Horses**t.
There are well over 10,000 gun laws and regulations on the books, more than anything else. Enforcing existing laws will do far more than much of what anti-gun fruitcakes want.

--------------

Post Number: 12
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is Lonewolf still under the impression that drunk driving is legal?

Anyone who is more interested in guns than beer, probably shouldn't have either.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 11:10 am)
There are well over 10,000 gun laws and regulations on the books, more than anything else. Enforcing existing laws will do far more than much of what anti-gun fruitcakes want.
You ignored all the rest of the post and went for "the purpose of drunk drivers" - and then you repeated the mantra of the NRA as a rejoinder. You don't see some humor in that? Do you really believe the mantra, or do you think I should?

You know that the NRA says this repeatedly - then they get various legislators to insert funding restrictions here and there in bills that keep the government from having the resources to do what they say would be sufficient - simply enforce the laws on the books. That's really funny, don't you think?
12 replies since Oct. 04 2013, 6:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply People are going crazy
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions