2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Impotence of Gov't shutdown< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KenV Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 3:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The government shutdown was supposedly going to result in all sorts of dire consequences.  But the impotence of the shutdown was recently made glaringly obvious.

The USNA vs AFA and the USMA vs BC football games are back on, despite the shutdown.   :D

But in all seriousness, let's hope this shutdown gets resolved soon.  Lotsa folks on the gov't payroll are getting hurt.  Sadly that almost certainly does not include members of Congress.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Someone asked me yesterday why we're still paying federal taxes when they aren't working. After all, WE don't get paid when we don't show up for work.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very funny KenV, bread and games seem to be the epitome of public action for the Party of NO.

Here are some of the actual repercussions, and they are growing exponentially with the time that the Republican Shutdown continues:

PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans' confidence in the U.S. economy has dropped sharply as the partial government shutdown caused by Congress' inability to pass a spending bill has become reality. Gallup's Economic Confidence Index's three-day rolling average stands at -34 for Oct. 1-3, down 14 points from Sept. 27-29, and the lowest such average since December 2011.

http://www.gallup.com/poll....ns.aspx

Here are some examples of what would happen if the shutdown stretched days, weeks or even months.

Monday, Oct. 7: Sikorsky Aircraft of Connecticut, which sells helicopters to the Defense Department, says it will be forced to furlough 2,000 workers in Connecticut, Florida and Alabama.

Friday, Oct. 11: United Technologies, a major defense contractor, says it will be forced to furlough 4,000 workers at two of its companies, Pratt & Whitney and UTC Aerospace Systems. Sikorsky says it will furlough 1,000 more.

Saturday, Oct. 12: Football Saturday for the service academies: Army hosts Eastern Michigan, and Navy is at Duke. Those games are up in the air — but college football is such a moneymaker that private donors would probably step in. Private donations are covering the Oct. 5 games, and military officials say the NCAA, CBS Sports and United Airlines all offered to help.

Tuesday, Oct. 15: The final deadline to file your 2012 tax return, provided you got an exemption for the regular April 15 deadline. If you owe the government money, it’s still due — but if you’re having math trouble, you probably won’t get anyone at the IRS on the phone to help.

Wednesday, Oct. 16: Federal courts could shut down. Administrators say the courts will stay open for roughly the first 10 business days of the shutdown, but they say they would have to reassess matters on Oct. 15.

Thursday, Oct. 17: The Big One. The date at which the federal government exhausts its ability to borrow money, unless Congress raises the limit it can borrow — negotiations increasingly likely to be tied up with talks on the shutdown. After Oct. 17, the Treasury would have about $30 billion on hand, enough to cover only a few days. Predictions for the fallout in the financial markets are catastrophic.

Late October: Claims processing for the Veterans Administration’s pension, education and job-training programs can continue through late October. After that, claims processing and payments will be suspended at an unspecified date when the money runs out, spokesman Randal Noller says.

Friday, Nov. 1: Already, as many as 19,000 children in 11 states have been left out of Head Start programs because grant money ran out Sept. 30. Sally Aman, a spokeswoman for the National Head Start Association, says she is unsure how many more children would be left out if the shutdown reaches Nov. 1, but local Head Start programs renew annual grants throughout the year, so thousands more would almost certainly be affected.

Sunday, Nov. 17: The National Retail Federation said Thursday that the next 45 days will make or break the holiday shopping season, which is critical for stores and the overall economy. For now, the federation forecasts Americans will spend $602 billion this year, about 4 percent more than last year, but it warns that consumer confidence could wither if the shutdown wears on.

Monday, Nov. 18: A 20-day launch window opens for Maven, an unmanned NASA spacecraft intended to explore the atmosphere of Mars. Jared Espley, a NASA space scientist, said on Twitter this week that the spacecraft was being put into “hurricane-proof storage” instead of loade onto a rocket. The Maven launch was later declared exempt from the shutdown.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news....ay?lite

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And then there are the 200 terminally ill patients per week. Locked out from their last refuge of hope, a National Institute of Health clinical trial. Whose doors to new patients slammed shut with the Boehner shutdown, along with the all medical research being conducted at the NIH itself.

Congressional staff will get their back pay, those failing patients won't get that time back and that medical research time is gone forever.

While those football players will have plenty of opportunity to suffer severe head trama in the future. Ironically enough such brain damage is a focus of NIH research ..
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 9:17 am)
Someone asked me yesterday why we're still paying federal taxes when they aren't working. After all, WE don't get paid when we don't show up for work.

Don't show up for work?

Seriously, you are comparing being furloughed to not showing up for work?

Every response I can think of is against the terms of service here. I'm literally in disbelief that you posted that. You are a miserable excuse for a human being.

800,000 people are not getting paid through no action of their own, and you are comparing that to "not showing up for work?"
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a Republican attitude supporting the Republican Shutdown.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Oct. 05 2013, 12:50 pm)

Don't show up for work?

Every response I can think of is against the terms of service here. I'm literally in disbelief that you posted that. You are a miserable excuse for a human being.

800,000 people are not getting paid through no action of their own, and you are comparing that to "not showing up for work?"

Not to mention that federal taxes would be funding way way way more than just those being furloughed such as the military

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 8
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know that you may think that I'm "picking on you" or something like that this morning, but it is exactly this kind of absolutely insanely stupid comment that I was talking about on the "TDale" thread, in which someone who clearly doesn't know squat about what he's commenting on just goes ahead and throws something out there and figures "Hell! This makes sense! It makes sense in my little world!".

Well, it takes time and energy to tell you why you're wrong. It takes very little time and energy to do what you did with this post.

Let me be the first to say that I am not "all knowing" in any way. I make stupid comments about, let's say, guns - and those people who know a great deal more than me then jump right in and correct me. So - just to be straight - I am not anywhere near "perfect". Not at all. But I try. I don't make simpleton comments on purpose.

You must know that this statement makes no sense. But I don't have time to completely educate you on the US budget process. Hell, I don't know all I should know myself. If you are an obstinate fool like many others here, you'd just ignore me anyway (if you aren't already doing that). I don't think you're a fool, and I am at least suspicious that you were simply joking, but anyway, the short and sweet (I hope you get the message) - you know, if in fact you don't actually understand (as you must - how could you not?):

Because it is an appropriations bill, the CR does not set spending levels for mandatory spending. (This type of funding – for programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security – is on autopilot and not subject to congressional discretion.) It only sets spending levels for discretionary spending.

There are PDFs all over the Net on the budgetary process. If you're interested, you could read one or two.

Interesting factoid: A large part of the ACA is funded mandatorily, meaning that it continues despite GOP tantrums. Isn't that a hoot?
 Post Number: 9
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't show up for work?

Happens in the private sector all the time

You go to work for a badly managed company and you take your chances

But notice what they DID have money for

http://washingtonexaminer.com/morning....2536817

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BillBab @ Oct. 05 2013, 1:19 pm)
Happens in the private sector all the time

But (and this was obviously my point) no decent person ever refers to that as "people not showing up for work."

Look, I get that some people think that the federal government is too big, etc. Reasonable (and unreasonable) people can disagree on these things. But when you've reached the level of contempt for ordinary working Americans who happen to be employed by the federal government that you liken their being furloughed (laid off, essentially) to "not showing up for work," then something has gone terribly wrong.
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wwwest missed at least one:  Lockheed Martin announced furloughs of 3,000 starting Monday (link).  That's just the beginning for them.  It could be 10 times that number in a month.

I doubt that the OP anyone else is really stupid enough to believe the shutdown has no impact.
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The damage is far more widespread than that as wwwest pointed out.  There are thousands and thousands of other workers whose jobs and businesses depend on the federal government staying open even though they work in the private sector.  I'd suggest Montanalonewolf drive the few miles down to West Yellowstone or over to Gardiner from where he lives and see how the shutdown of Yellowstone Park is impacting those communities.  Or perhaps he just doesn't care. Collateral damage from his standpoint I suppose.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every one of you missed what I was saying and "you are all miserable excuses for human beings" for taking it the way you did.

--------------

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 8:34 pm)
Every one of you missed what I was saying and "you are all miserable excuses for human beings" for taking it the way you did.

No, we got exactly what you were saying.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No. You didn't.

--------------

Post Number: 16
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 9:34 pm)

So, maybe you can rephrase it and make it clear exactly what you were saying to us "miserable excuses for human beings". Thanks, anyway.  I find myself in good company.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 17
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Oct. 05 2013, 3:51 am)
The government shutdown was supposedly going to result in all sorts of dire consequences.  But the impotence of the shutdown was recently made glaringly obvious.

The USNA vs AFA and the USMA vs BC football games are back on, despite the shutdown.   :D

But in all seriousness, let's hope this shutdown gets resolved soon.  Lotsa folks on the gov't payroll are getting hurt.  Sadly that almost certainly does not include members of Congress.

Sure was some mean talk , huh, LOL.
Only a week before, we had enough money to bomb Syria, move the navy and marines all around the world.................

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 8:42 pm)
No. You didn't.

What you wrote was very clear and unambiguous. It could really only mean what people took it to mean. If you meant something else, then you did the worst job ever of saying what you meant.
 Post Number: 19
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 9:34 pm)

The problem is you don't seem to ever comprehend what the logical outcome is of the things you say. You come off like someone who has no idea how the real world works.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you believe something that never crossed my mind when I meant something else*, then let's discuss what YOU think I said.

Granted it's not their fault or choice and virtually all would rather be at work, regardless of the why, the simple fact is they aren't at work. So why should they get paid? I don't get paid if boss sends me home for some reason, why should it be any different for a government worker? Hell, they're going to get back pay when they do go back so what have they lost?

*No I won't explain it since a few Richard cranium anal orifices were very insulting and must be obvious telepathers since they "knew" what I really meant.

--------------

Post Number: 21
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're a weird dude.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 06 2013, 5:43 am)
No I won't explain it since a few Richard cranium anal orifices were very insulting and must be obvious telepathers since they "knew" what I really meant.

No one knows what a person means. That's the point. All we have to go on are their words. And your words were very unambiguous. You likened employees being furloughed to employees "not showing up." If you didn't intend your words to be insulting, then you shouldn't have chosen obviously insulting words.
 Post Number: 23
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably the most favorable way someone could interpret the above statement would be to infer that MLW was merely repeating what someone else asked him, but then, even if you put that kind of spin on it, you'd still have to ask yourself why he would bother to repeat it without any commentary whatsoever.

So there's that.

I personally see no way to interpret the above statement in a way that redounds to MLW's credit, but I guess, at least as far as MLW is concerned, I'm just not intelligent enough to understand his subtle meaning.

My original response was, of course, directed to the idea that such a statement presumes that the CR is "all encompassing", because it is most certainly not, however much it does impact government services and the operation of the government.

But everyone else went right to the heart of the matter instead of dealing with peripheral issues. There's not much else I can add to that wholly accurate assessment, actually.
 Post Number: 24
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The GOP is demonstrating their keen business acumen.  

Order your employees home because you can't get something that you don't have a prayer of getting.  

But, tell them you will pay them when they return.

The employees who can't afford to miss a check will be really ticked at you, even after they return.

The rest will have grins that stretch to the back of their heads.

And, then brag that you really know how to run a business.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 25
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back to the barter system........................

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Oct. 06 2013, 12:31 pm)

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 06 2013, 5:43 am)
No I won't explain it since a few Richard cranium anal orifices were very insulting and must be obvious telepathers since they "knew" what I really meant.

No one knows what a person means. That's the point. All we have to go on are their words. And your words were very unambiguous. You likened employees being furloughed to employees "not showing up." If you didn't intend your words to be insulting, then you shouldn't have chosen obviously insulting words.

You're an idiot.
I'm done.

--------------

Post Number: 27
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Oct. 05 2013, 10:17 am)

Well it is hard to serve fries from home.
26 replies since Oct. 05 2013, 3:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Impotence of Gov't shutdown
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions