2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Strange days have found us…< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buddero Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 7:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I friended (on Facebook) this person I knew many years ago because I had something nice to send to her. That went fine. Then I began to see posts re unusual things, like www.breakingobama.com. Breakingobama.com?

I clicked it and Oh Boy! I’m getting the “Patriot Pack” which means that I’ll get 3 membership cards and some bumper stickers, including IMPEACH, REBEL YELL, and GITMO!

I’m sure there’s a way to not see her posts (other than the dreaded de-friending), but it might be interesting to  linger around in the belly of the beast.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately, hate finds a way.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obama has become the Goldberg (reference: 1984) the RWers have been programmed to hate.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 4
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Oct. 12 2013, 7:23 pm)
So I friended (on Facebook) this person I knew many years ago because I had something nice to send to her. That went fine. Then I began to see posts re unusual things, like www.breakingobama.com. Breakingobama.com?

I clicked it and Oh Boy! I’m getting the “Patriot Pack” which means that I’ll get 3 membership cards and some bumper stickers, including IMPEACH, REBEL YELL, and GITMO!

I’m sure there’s a way to not see her posts (other than the dreaded de-friending), but it might be interesting to  linger around in the belly of the beast.

Just being on Facebook or Twitter says a lot.....................

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 5
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the Constitution in the Schredder.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 6
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

making a buck off of right-wing hate.  That is so 2013

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 7
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 5:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! You can buy stuff. And they take PayPal!!! I'm in.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 8
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's kind of a joke (songs about "breaking Obama" - oh please), but not really. It's part of the hate-mongering that is increasingly part of our national psyche. Here is an article on the matter, Behind Flurry of Killing, Potency of Hate. The article is about other places, but the process is exactly the same: http://www.nytimes.com/2013....13&_r=0

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If/when fascism comes to the United States it will carry a Bible in on hand and the American Flag in the other.
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This hate culture that so permeates those opposed to Obama deeply bothers me as well.  I mean I was opposed to Bush and his policies but I can't say I hated him personally and I never felt the need to plaster hate filled messages on the internet, bumper stickers, etc.  It seems that this type of rhetoric is everywhere and it's just plain mean and nasty.  I don't recall witnessing that kind of demagoguery in the past regardless of how strongly someone felt about some else's political view. I guess when you can't use logic to counter someone's policies, hate is the next best choice.  It's rather unsettling.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Oct. 13 2013, 4:56 pm)
If/when fascism comes to the United States it will carry a Bible in on hand and the American Flag in the other.

I'm afraid you're absolutely correct.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Oct. 12 2013, 8:26 pm)
Obama has become the Goldberg (reference: 1984) the RWers have been programmed to hate.

Of course we had no left wingers programmed to hate during the prior administration.  How quick we forget.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Oct. 13 2013, 5:03 pm)

Of course we had no left wingers programmed to hate during the prior administration.  How quick we forget.

I won't argue there were people on the left who hated the Bush administration.  Two things, though, I think were not so prevalent.  First, it wasn't nearly as personal as with Obama (but then Bush was white) and second, the proliferation of the hate message and the need to loudly express was not nearly as widespread.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 13 2013, 5:09 pm)

I won't argue there were people on the left who hated the Bush administration.  Two things, though, I think were not so prevalent.  First, it wasn't nearly as personal as with Obama (but then Bush was white) and second, the proliferation of the hate message and the need to loudly express was not nearly as widespread.

+1.

Some only despise his policies (confounding, considering he's really pretty moderate), but many others do seem, to me, to deeply despise him personally.  

99% of the country was saddened in November, 1963, including Kennedy's opponents.

If a similar tragedy happened today, I am afraid a lot of  americans would cheer.

How did we get to this place.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 13 2013, 5:09 pm)

Are you kidding me!  Really?  It's much more prevalent because he's black ??? Is it at all possible it's because there are people out there that think he's just a bad president.  Not a chance I know.
 Post Number: 16
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it at all possible it's because there are people out there that think he's just a bad president.
Funny. "Strange days", indeed.

The right repeatedly attempts to undermine and destroy everything Obama touches, up to and including attempting to completely destroy the government to do accomplish that end, and then, without missing a beat or feeling any twinge of hypocrisy whatsoever, proceed to chant, "Look! He's a bad President! He never accomplished anything!"

Please excuse me for not buying it.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Oct. 13 2013, 5:28 pm)
99% of the country was saddened in November, 1963, including Kennedy's opponents.

If a similar tragedy happened today, I am afraid a lot of  americans would cheer.

Just not buying that its any different then the last admin.  I also don't believe A LOT of Americans would cheer.  In the end we're all Americans.  I would hate to see anything like that happen.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Oct. 13 2013, 5:33 pm)
Are you kidding me!  Really?  It's much more prevalent because he's black ??? Is it at all possible it's because there are people out there that think he's just a bad president.  Not a chance I know.

Actually, I'm not kidding you.  Of course there are many people that don't like Obama because of his policies and handling of the issues, but if you're trying to tell me that much of the hatred directed toward him is not based in racism, then you really have you're head buried in the sand.  All you have to do is listen to the rhetoric that's  off the grid.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My head must be in the sand.  Of course there are those out there that dislike him simply because he's black.  I just happen to think its not as prevalent as the left and the media like to portray.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Oct. 13 2013, 5:07 pm)

(Old Frank @ Oct. 13 2013, 5:28 pm)

Just not buying that its any different then the last admin.  I also don't believe A LOT of Americans would cheer.  In the end we're all Americans.  I would hate to see anything like that happen.

We can argue about how widespread and intense the hatred directed at Obama is on the right, compared to the hatred directed at Bush from the left. I think it's obvious Obama was villified from the very start with vile lies, some of which appealed to racism.

But the biggest difference is not a matter of degree.

Nor is it disagreement about policies.

George W Bush committed the most egregious betrayal of trust by a president in our nation's history. In the wake of the worst terrorist attack on America he had 90% approval rating, including me. Then he manipulated that trust, and patriotism, and grief, and fear to launch a war of choice unrelated to 9/11.

His administration conducted a systematic marketing campaign of misinformation, half-truths, and LIES to convince the American people Iraq was allied with al Qaeda, had stockpiles of biochem weapons, and would soon have nukes that would result in mushroom clouds over American cities.

He shifted focus & resources away from the war we were already fighting in Afghanistan against al Qaeda and their Taliban allies, then terribly mismanaged the occupation of Iraq at the cost of thousands of American lives and trillions of dollars -- with the result of greatly strengthening Iran's position in the region.

He left office with our country mired in two costly wars, a budget surplus turned into record deficits, and the worst recession since the Great Depression.

Obama came into office with the worst mess in 70 years, and the key goal of his partisan opponents was not to help the nation recover but to ensure a failed one-term presidency.

There is no parallel or equivalency between the opposition to Barack Obama and to George W Bush.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Oct. 13 2013, 8:03 pm)
Of course there are those out there that dislike him simply because he's black.  I just happen to think its not as prevalent as the left and the media like to portray.

I'll give you that.  It's hard to judge just how prevalent the resentment/hatred of him is due to his race, but it's there.  No doubt about that.  I can personally give two examples of federally elected officials in my state who were caught re faced, making racist comments about the President.  Tip of the iceberg, I think.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Oct. 13 2013, 8:05 pm)
There is no parallel or equivalency between the opposition to Barack Obama and to George W Bush.

I'll certainly agree with that.  Nor will I quibble wit your assessment of the Bush administration.  However, I'm not sure about your comment on the most " egregious betrayal of trust by a President". I still think that distinction belongs to Richard Nixon.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny how libbies forget the hatred toward Bush.....................oh well.
No more nor no less Obama deserves.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 13 2013, 8:03 pm)

I'll certainly agree with that.  Nor will I quibble wit your assessment of the Bush administration.  However, I'm not sure about your comment on the most " egregious betrayal of trust by a President". I still think that distinction belongs to Richard Nixon.

I guess it depends on how you define "most egregious." How many thousands of young Americans in uniform were maimed & killed and how many trillions of dollars were flushed down the drain as a result of Nixon's burglary & cover-up?

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Oct. 13 2013, 9:51 pm)

(hikerjer @ Oct. 13 2013, 8:03 pm)

I guess it depends on how you define "most egregious." How many thousands of young Americans in uniform were maimed & killed and how many trillions of dollars were flushed down the drain as a result of Nixon's burglary & cover-up?

Point taken.  We could go around and around in circles on this for a long time.  Neither one of the scoundrels did the country much good.  I think though, the difference, as I see it, is Nixon's actions were deliberate.  He knew what he was doing and knew it was wrong.  With Bush, I'm not so sure. Most of the time I think he may have thought he was doing the right thing for whatever reason.  But perhaps that made him all the more dangerous.

--------------
24 replies since Oct. 12 2013, 7:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Strange days have found us…
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions