2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Slow Learners of America< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 1:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose as a Democrat advocate and supporter I should be happy to see this trend, but it just boggles the mind, and is very discouraging to consider that this kind of demogoguery works on a significant portion of the American public.

Quite depressing, really.

The competition to be the next Ted Cruz is extremely hot within the Republican Party, where a number of emerging challengers are hoping to capitalize on the newest brand name in conservative politics.

In Kansas, Milton R. Wolf opened his fundraising pitch to supporters last week by asking them whether he could be the next Cruz candidate. In Mississippi, Chris McDaniel announced his campaign to unseat Sen. Thad Cochran last week and welcomed the comparison to Mr. Cruz, calling it “a compliment.”

Then there’s Ben Sasse, a university president running for Nebraska’s U.S. Senate seat, who set state fundraising records by opposing Obamacare. He told the Lincoln Journal Star last week that he would have voted with Mr. Cruz to keep the government shut down last week, saying it was a better option than continuing to spend and run up debt.

“They’re tapping into the anti-establishment feelings that are really running high among Republican primary voters,” said Ron Bonjean, a GOP consultant.

In many ways, Mr. Cruz has become the shorthand for the “tea party,” which was already a shorthand way to categorize conservative voters who subscribe to a low-spending, low-taxes philosophy of government.

Mr. Cruz also became a shorthand for tactics after he led a 21 hour, 19 minute filibuster in September and insisted that fellow Republicans refuse to fund the rest of government until President Obama agreed to cancel the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news....ons-to-

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best way to move America away from the brink, and back towards the Center, is to outlaw Gerrymandering.  Figure out how many voters need to be in each district, and go about drawing the lines as close to natural boundaries as possible.  Using county lines, or rivers, or even sides of the same street, would make for better representation of our true American voter than what we have today.  

How hard is it to draw district lines that are close to 700K people?  or 500K voters?  Ok, so it might be tough in some states where the population is all packed in one long metropolitan area, but other than that?

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Oct. 24 2013, 10:49 am)
The best way to move America away from the brink, and back towards the Center, is to outlaw Gerrymandering.  Figure out how many voters need to be in each district, and go about drawing the lines as close to natural boundaries as possible.  Using county lines, or rivers, or even sides of the same street, would make for better representation of our true American voter than what we have today.  

How hard is it to draw district lines that are close to 700K people?  or 500K voters?  Ok, so it might be tough in some states where the population is all packed in one long metropolitan area, but other than that?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but high-concentration Republican (or Democratic) districts aren't an intentional result of gerrymandering. The point of gerrymandering is to create as many districts as possible with a reasonably safe majority; districts that are, say, 70% your people are, in effect, 'wasting' voters (who could do more good for the party if they were in more competitive districts).

Highly polarized districts are probably more a function of settlement patterns: minority voters (who go overwhelmingly for Democrats) tend to be highly concentrated in urban areas, while rural areas tend to be overwhelmingly white and conservative. (That's an oversimplified way to put it, but broadly it holds true.)

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Slow Learners of America "

Y'all say that again, I didn't get it.........................

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 5
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why don't we do away with the electoral process? One vote one person.

The representation of widely different constituencies is the heart of the republic and is exactly why our government and election processes are dismal and dysfunctional.

The world is much more complicated than when the founders put their ideas together.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Oct. 24 2013, 3:57 pm)

(ol-zeke @ Oct. 24 2013, 10:49 am)

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but high-concentration Republican (or Democratic) districts aren't an intentional result of gerrymandering. The point of gerrymandering is to create as many districts as possible with a reasonably safe majority; districts that are, say, 70% your people are, in effect, 'wasting' voters (who could do more good for the party if they were in more competitive districts).

Highly polarized districts are probably more a function of settlement patterns: minority voters (who go overwhelmingly for Democrats) tend to be highly concentrated in urban areas, while rural areas tend to be overwhelmingly white and conservative. (That's an oversimplified way to put it, but broadly it holds true.)

I am not sure we are even talking about the same thing.  Yes, we are both against gerrymandering for political gain, but??

I never said anything about 70%, or even polarized districts.  Personally, I do not care if the voters are Urban, Rural, or Suburban.  500,000 voters, or 700,000 people.  This is what each member of the House is supposed to be representative of, approximately.  

I do not agree with any drawing districts by how many of which voters live there.  If 1.5 million people live in the city of Portland, they get 2 Representatives, and we can try to find a good way to split it evenly.  If another 1.5 million people live in the rest of Oregon, surely we can find a way to split them evenly without considering which are R and which are D.

I guess I am for districts that are closer to a 50/50 split, but that would require knowing who was who.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's an idea:

No congressional districts. A state gets their allotment based on population as usual; 7, for example. Voters can register with one party for the primary and vote for up to 7 candidates in that primary. In the general election every voter can vote for up to 7, including candidates from different parties. Top 7 vote getters represent the state.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Proportional voting could work pretty well for the House Districts, but after all these years of tortorous bending of the lines to get where we are, it would take a Constitutional amendment by iniative to abandon the safe districts for proportional voting.

Of course Party hacks, on both sides, hate it because it gives the power to the people and they would have to devise whole new strategies to game the system.  Again.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
BillBab Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Oct. 24 2013, 4:24 pm)
"Slow Learners of America "

Y'all say that again, I didn't get it.........................

You know.....the folks that voted for Obama

Twice  :laugh:

--------------
"Asking liberals where wages and prices come from is like asking six-year-olds where babies come from."

Thomas Sowell
8 replies since Oct. 24 2013, 1:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Slow Learners of America
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions