2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ten facts you don't know about, The JFK Assassination< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 1:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since we are talking about logic, critical thinking and cultural bias this morning I thought this would be a good subject for examination as we come up on the 50th Anniversary of the JFK assassination.

One of the best examples of society wide mob mentality in US history, IMO.  And, as the writer points out, it is a mob mentality that shifts with cultural bias over the decades.  Check it out:

“We analyzed everything we could find, from the facts, to the myths that keep getting repeated,” Meltzer says. “We so want to believe there's a conspiracy. Why?  Because we don’t want to believe that our government could be jackknifed by a high school dropout.”

But sometimes the facts don’t line up with the myth. Here, Meltzer shares with Yahoo 10 aspects of the JFK assassination most Americans may not know, whether because they’re little-known facts or because the myth is a better story.

10. The window from which Oswald shot Kennedy went missing. On Nov. 22, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald leaned out a window on the sixth floor of the Texas Book Depository in Dallas and fired three shots. Six years after the assassination, Gen. D. Harold Byrd, owner of the building, had the window removed. “This being Texas,” Meltzer says, “he had it framed and hung in his mansion.” The only problem? It was the wrong window, according to Aubrey Mayhew, the building’s later owner. Mayhew pried out what he said was the right window. Both windows eventually ended up on eBay; Meltzer believes Mayhew’s is the “real” one.

9. Plenty of shooters recreated Oswald’s shot. One of the more pervasive myths surrounding the JFK assassination was the idea that no other shooter could replicate Oswald’s feat of shooting three times in 6.75 seconds. So another shooter must have been involved, right? Not necessarily. The Warren Commission reported that one marksman was able to pull off the feat in 4.6 seconds, and a later CBS investigation showed that 11 marksmen averaged 5.6 seconds. Also, Oswald’s shot was, for a trained shooter, relatively easy. Oswald and other military marksmen are trained to shoot anywhere from 200 to 500 yards. Kennedy was 88 yards from Oswald at his farthest point, and 59 yards away at the time of the last shot.

8. Oliver Stone’s "JFK" damaged history. “Oliver Stone is a great filmmaker,” Meltzer says. “But his film 'JFK' did a great disservice to history by mixing fact and fiction. For the 20 million people that saw it in theaters, and the millions who have seen it afterward, that became the official record of the assassination.” Meltzer notes that several characters in the movie were created for the purposes of storytelling and had no relation whatsoever to real events.

7. There was no “Magic Bullet.” The most pervasive myth perpetuated by “JFK” was the idea that a single bullet could have passed through Kennedy’s body, changed direction twice, and then entered the body of Texas Gov. John Connally, riding in the limo’s front seat, before emerging pristine. “You’d think there’s no way one bullet could do that, and you’d be right … if the men were sitting facing forward like they were in an airplane. Governor Connally was turned to the right, and the bullet traveled in a straight line. Also, Meltzer points out, FBI investigators have noted that the bullet is in no way “pristine”; it’s flat on one side.

6. The U.S. government erred in keeping its investigation secret. In 1964, the Warren Commission held the investigation into the assassination behind closed doors. As later review of the proceedings has shown, the absence of publicly released information allowed speculation to spread in many dark (and often incorrect) directions.

5. Kennedy’s family chose to keep secrets as well. JFK’s family made the understandable, but regrettable, decision to keep Kennedy’s hospital and autopsy records under wraps. As with the Warren Commission, Meltzer says, this gave the inaccurate perception that the Kennedy family had something to hide. And it meant the American public didn't get to see the actual evidence.

4. The government is not keeping very many JFK secrets, and won’t keep any for much longer. One benefit of the JFK film, Meltzer notes, is that it led to the declassification of 97 percent of all government documents related to the Kennedy assassination. The other 3 percent will be declassified in 2017, unless the president decides to keep them under wraps.

3. Were there really “mysterious deaths?” One of the pervasive rumors surrounding the investigation into JFK’s death was that many witnesses died of mysterious circumstances. Nonsense, Meltzer says. “The idea that there was a hit squad going around tying off loose ends just doesn’t hold up,” he says. “Many of the people died long after giving testimony. And most died of heart disease. The No. 1 killer of Americans is heart disease. A few were unusual, but not as many as people say.”

2. There was no “fourth shot” from the grassy knoll. The Warren Commission found that there were three shots fired in the assassination. Several years later, the House Select Committee on Assassinations indicated that an audio recording discovered later found that there was a fourth shot, and it must have come from a “grassy knoll” near the depository. Problem is, 12 acoustics experts ruled out the possibility of a fourth shot. Moreover, that fourth shot came a minute after Oswald’s shots, a time when the motorcade was already well on the way to the hospital.

1. The true killer of JFK was … As Meltzer notes, the “true killer” of JFK in the popular imagination changes depending on the mood of the time. “In the 1960s, we believed it was the Soviets. In the 1970s, it was the CIA, as we distrusted our own government. In the 1980s, with the rise of Mob movies, it was the Mafia. Now, we believe our own government was in on it. JFK's killer is whoever we're most afraid of at the time.”

http://news.yahoo.com/ten-fac....02.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in the early 1980's I was able to stand in the window where Oswald supposedly took the shots.

I thought I was a pretty good shot at the time, but realized I couldn't have made that shot without a lot of luck.

I'm looking forward to the declassified release in 2017 as I'm curious as to what secrets is holds.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right up until Oswald was assassinated I was okay which his acting alone.

After that happened? No way in hell.
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, Oswald was the only gunman, I've always believed that.  Who was he working for?

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 5
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The 10 "facts" did not address what many believe is an exit wound at the BACK of Kennedy's head.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 6
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0bIRkv29xk

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 7
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is a reminder that I should re-read Libra (Don DeLillo). Great novel.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting that there is no comment about the shifting culture bias for who was "really" behind the assassination, don' you think?

Russia-Commies-Cuba-Mafia-CIA-US government, whoever the current boogie man might be among the nut case conspiracy theorists.

I would consider an 88 yard shot at a deer or an elk to be a gimme.  Have killed several between 2-300 yards.  I even killed a running antelope at under 100 yards, one time.  But it was a pretty lucky shot, and I am no sharp shooter.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My feeling is that Oswald did shoot at JFK 3 times from that window, yes 88 yards is not all that much for that 1940 rifle, but there is a possibility that a security guard did accidentally discharge his gun from a car behind (possibly the reason for the almost simultaneous 2nd and 3rd shot) that causing a huge amount of problems explaining to the public what happened.
 Post Number: 10
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry I ment a  Secret Service agent, George hickey.
Some witnesses mentioned the smell of gun powder, unlikly to come from that 6th floor window.
Interestingly a guy that was looking at that window and saw Oswald shoot (acoording to his version) only heard 2 shots.
Hickey had an AR15 5.56mm rifle.
The Carcano rifle used by Oswald fired 6.5mm bullets.
One of the rear entry wounds on JFK was 6mm wide
BTW, for all I know, a wound could expand or cotract after a bullet passes through...
 Post Number: 11
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JFK:THe Smoking Gun on REELZ

different bullets were used, only 30 minutes into 2 hour show!
 Post Number: 12
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like the facts support the original report.
 Post Number: 13
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 03 2013, 9:47 pm)
Sounds like the facts support the original report.

Are you referring to the Warren report? If so, some of the key facts do not support it.

The "Smoking Gun" show dayhiker9 mentioned dealt with the facts of the ballistics and angle of entry wound. It demonstrated that a full metal jacket round went through JFK's neck & Connally, while an explosive round caused the massive head trauma to the president's skull.

Two different types of ammo, with the skull shot coming from a much lower angle than the Depository window.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
12 replies since Nov. 01 2013, 1:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ten facts you don't know about
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions