2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: All This Could Have Been Roads, Bridges and, Fast Rail in America!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 12:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The end of war is just as ugly and wasteful as the beginning and middle.

Says a lot about our trust for the Afghanis, neh?

Think of all those good paying jobs for the construction and management that would have occured while we rebuilt the crumbling infrastructure of America.

KANDAHAR: The withdrawing US military is destroying most of the equipment it is leaving behind in Afghanistan after 13 years of war, selling the scrap for millions of dollars to those willing to buy it.

The policy stands in stark contrast to the Americans' withdrawal from Iraq, when they donated or sold still-usable items worth about $100 million.

The equipment is being trashed, US officials say, because of fears that anything left behind in Afghanistan could fall into the hands of insurgents and used to make bombs.

Leaving it behind also saves the US billions of dollars in transportation costs.

Afghans are angry at the policy, arguing that even furniture and appliances that could improve their lives is being turned into useless junk.

''They use everything while they are here, and then they give it to us after breaking it,'' said Mohammed Qasim, a junk dealer in the volatile southern province of Kandahar.

He gestured toward the large yellow frame of a gutted generator, saying it would have been more useful in somebody's home, given the lack of electricity in the area.

http://dawn.com/news....anistan

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everybody knows that American taxpayers have LOTS of money.
 Post Number: 3
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there anything about the Afghanistan experience that was thought through very well?  Surely there is something.  Anything at all???

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe demonstrating that the lessons of history are important to consider when making national security decisions??

Either that, or demonstrating that US leaders are no smarter than Persian, Greek, Mongol, Tartar, English, or Russian leaders when it comes to dealing with Afghanistan?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Nov. 09 2013, 12:40 pm)
Is there anything about the Afghanistan experience that was thought through very well?  Surely there is something.  Anything at all???

One thing that it accomplished was to send a message to terrorists and countries that host terrorists that Americans will invade your country and turn it into a killing zone for a dozen years and kill and destroy you and your host countrymen AT WILL - if you attack America.  Americans are such a vengeful people that they will let their own roads and bridges deteriorate while they kill those who attacked them. They will develop unmanned drones and invest billions in new technology for the sole reason to kill those who attacked them.

Americans have shown what an unforgiving people that they are. They don't seem to like to turn the other cheek when they are attacked. When attacked, they turn into savage berserkers bent on revenge.

Americans just don't seem to mind showing the world what  unforgiving brutes and savage killers they are in obtaining vengeance when attacked. That is why so many in the middle east hate America. They fight back!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe that is why they thought we would fit in, in Afghanistan?

Apparently the big brain has a way to go yet!   :blush:

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe, Bass, depends on if you believe Obama wanted to attack and waste away like the Russians did.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Nov. 09 2013, 2:27 pm)
Maybe, Bass, depends on if you believe Obama wanted to attack and waste away like the Russians did.

America's taxpayers have PLENTY of money. And they don't care if their roads and bridges are deteriorating while their massive military and killing technology machine extracts revenge for that attack on 9/11 that killed only a few thousand Americans. Unlike the Russians and other civilized Europeans, Americans seem to THRIVE on killing people who attack them. Sure, a lot of them have died in Afghanistan, but just look at how many they have killed.

Now that Obama has killed off all the fun targets and populations in Afghanistan, he is trying to find an excuse to turn his skilled killing machine loose on Syria or some other place.

That is what America is accomplishing in Afghanistan - showing the world how they haven't learned to turn the other cheek and to forgive. They love to kill and destroy and bring down civilizations that attack them. They are leaving Afghanistan with trashed equipment and a trashed and lawless society that has been set back 500 years. All this for Afghanistan's part in killing a few thousand Americans!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Nov. 09 2013, 8:25 pm)

(dayhiker9 @ Nov. 09 2013, 2:27 pm)

America's taxpayers have PLENTY of money. And they don't care if their roads and bridges are deteriorating while their massive military and killing technology machine extracts revenge for that attack on 9/11 that killed only a few thousand Americans. Unlike the Russians and other civilized Europeans, Americans seem to THRIVE on killing people who attack them. Sure, a lot of them have died in Afghanistan, but just look at how many they have killed.

Now that Obama has killed off all the fun targets and populations in Afghanistan, he is trying to find an excuse to turn his skilled killing machine loose on Syria or some other place.

That is what America is accomplishing in Afghanistan - showing the world how they haven't learned to turn the other cheek and to forgive. They love to kill and destroy and bring down civilizations that attack them. They are leaving Afghanistan with trashed equipment and a trashed and lawless society that has been set back 500 years. All this for Afghanistan's part in killing a few thousand Americans!

So, how does the whole Syrian chemical disarmament initiative fit into your theory??

And you surely don't believe that our little effort in Afghanistan has brought them up to just 500 years back do you??

That would be miraculous, as they were at least 1000 years back when we stepped in as the latest in a long line of fools.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 7:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wwwest
And you surely don't believe that our little effort in Afghanistan has brought them up to just 500 years back do you??

Who really cares?

The Americans justified another several billion in military investment to make the largest military in the world still more efficient and deadly. Each attack on America loosens the purse of their taxpayers to fund even more killing technology. They will allow their own personal well-being and their country's infrastructure to suffer for revenge when they are attacked.

Unlike Russia and Europe, they THRIVE on killing those who attack them. So for 12 long years they THRIVED on the death and blood of their attackers in Afghanistan. Their love of killing and destruction of their attackers  is obscene. They GLADLY expend their resources on revenge. They actually CHEERED in the US when Bin laden was murdered!

That is how the rest of the work sees the US. That is what was accomplished.
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We know anything left there would most likely be used against us in the future.
 Post Number: 12
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The people and government of the USA have spent trillions of dollars and the lives of thousands of Americans in uniform over the course of 12 years for the purpose of slaughtering the population of Afghanistan to exact revenge for 9/11.

According to Bass.

There have been many opinions expressed about Afghanistan by members of this forum, including some on the right who are generally more supportive of military action than those on the left. Based on what I've read here, most consider it a big waste and would like to see us get out of Afghanistan.

In fact, I can remember only one person who seriously argued we should slaughter civilians on a massive scale in retaliation for an attack against Americans.

In response to 4 Americans killed at the American embassy in Benghazi 14 months ago, Bass argued we should nuke the country of Libya and turn it into glass.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Nov. 10 2013, 6:53 am)
In response to 4 Americans killed at the American embassy in Benghazi 14 months ago, Bass argued we should nuke the country of Libya and turn it into glass.

Oh yeah, I remember that now... that was Bass.  He's made that argument a number of times. Were it up to him, much of the Middle East and large parts of Central Asia (including Afghanistan) would be little more than sterile nuclear fallout zones right now.

Which makes the rants in this thread a little ironic, as it were.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bass loves to jerk a chain, even when it is a chain he really disagrees with.

He apparently has some drive to be able to manipulate everyone into agreeing with the point of view that he really supports, as in his latest sally with Afghanistan.

So far it never works, but I am guessing that he will continue to refine his reverse psychology positions, and, maybe, someday, he will have a winner.

The audacity of hope!!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 10 2013, 8:02 am)

(Drift Woody @ Nov. 10 2013, 6:53 am)

Oh yeah, I remember that now... that was Bass.  He's made that argument a number of times. Were it up to him, much of the Middle East and large parts of Central Asia (including Afghanistan) would be little more than sterile nuclear fallout zones right now.

Which makes the rants in this thread a little ironic, as it were.

I think that there is some disconnect in YOUR memory. I see no RANTS in this thread. Show me a RANT in this thread. Copy and paste it for all to see.

A LOT different is the killing of 4 representatives of the US in a country that had an obligation to protect them - and the still murky details of why police in that country stood by and watched the killings. That is a LOT different that the 9/11 terrorist attack by a bunch of Saudi extremists who happen to have been hosted by and trained in a country that had no government involvement in their action.

There is still a strong suspicion, as there was a year ago, that the killing of the 4 US embassy personnel was an official Libyian government action. If proven, a case could be made for retaliation - even "glassing over", nuking - as I pointed out then.

But I think that you do understand that there is a big difference. It is obvious that you have no logical debate point - so your MOA is post disrespectful personal attacks directed at me and others. That is the reputation that YOU have here.

wwwest

Bass loves to jerk a chain, even when it is a chain he really disagrees with.

Isn't the purpose of a forum like the TPA to bring up different perspectives on controversial issues and to discuss them - to as you say, "jerk a chain" by posting a view that some might not agree with but might come to understand or even agree with as a result of the post? If not, then why EVER post in this forum?

Aren't YOU trying to "jerk" my chain with your disrespectful and degrading post directed at me? If not, then what is the purpose of your post?

If everyone in this forum refrains from posting because their post brings up a different view or perspective - "jerks a chain" as you say - then there would never be ANY posts except "I agree" in this forum.

Is that YOUR agenda - to cause me to quit posting here because my post MAY "jerk a chain"?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not at all, jerk all the chains you want, I find many of your sallies to be quite entertaining, and once in a while educational.  

I just think that discussions where the posters are sincere, and somewhat consistent, in their arguments are more interesting, and more persuasive than ones picked for contrarian drama.

You surely don't admit that there are no valid, logical, and rational arguments to be made for right wing issues, do you??

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wwwest
Not at all, jerk all the chains you want,

Then you continue YOUR disrespectful personal attacks on me, and I will continue to "jerk all the chains" I want. Somehow I do not feel that most of the posters in this forum find YOUR disrespectful personal attacks any more amusing than I do. I see YOUR personal attacks as an admission that YOU cannot come up with a logical debate point. I suspect that others in this forum feel the same.

wwwest

arguments are more interesting, and more persuasive

IF you find my posts UNinteresting and UNpersuasive - then feel free to IGNORE my posts.

Then you will have no reason to post YOUR disrespectful personal attacks directed at me.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That thin skin is a real disadvantage, neh??   :p

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Nov. 12 2013, 9:53 pm)
That thin skin is a real disadvantage, neh??   :p

Isn't YOUR post designed to "jerk" my chain?

Look at YOUR previous post. Talk about "inconsistent" posts!
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.  LOL

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Nov. 12 2013, 10:03 pm)
Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.  LOL

So YOU are saying that you have a SMALL mind since you find "somewhat consistent....more interesting, and more persuasive" in your earlier post.

And I think that Emerson actually stated that,""A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" in his Self Reliance essay. That is a bit different.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh good grief, cry me a river.  You argue one minute that we should nuke countries into glass for anything whatsoever (as if 4 dead Americans justifies nuking an entire population... only a lunatic would believe that), complain the next minute about all those horrible American taxpayers that thirst for nothing but revenge, and then cry loudly ("they're attacking me! Waah!") when people point out you're just trolling both sides of the coin and they don't bother taking you seriously.  You're such a victim.

Rant: post #10 for starters. Don't purposefully play the idiot ("whaaa? A rant?  Whaddaya mean a rant?  What rant?  Huhhhh???").  KenV's already run that approach pretty dry by now. It doesn't have the effect you seem to think it does.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 12 2013, 10:38 pm)
Oh good grief, cry me a river.  You argue one minute that we should nuke countries into glass for anything whatsoever, and then cry loudly ("they're attacking me! Waah!") when people realize you're just trolling for provocation and they stop taking you seriously.  You're such a victim.

I see that you are trying to put up one of YOUR usual  smokescreens so that you can change the subject. Back to my response to YOUR false accusation - YOUR "provocation" - that this thread is full of my RANTS. I asked:

I think that there is some disconnect in YOUR memory. I see no RANTS in this thread. Show me a RANT in this thread. Copy and paste it for all to see.

But I can see that YOU can't. So YOU respond with another FALSE accusation - this time that I am "just trolling for provocation".

YOU have just proven AGAIN that YOU can't provide a logical debate point. So YOU resort to disrespectful personal attacks again and again. That is YOUR reputation in this forum.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could give a rat's patootie what you say about my so-called reputation here, no matter how much you bold it and bold it again. :laugh:

Your rants are right there for all to see. Start with post #5 and read downward.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GoBlueHiker
Your rants are right there for all to see. Start with post #5 and read downward

IF my posts are by your definition "RANTS" - then YOU have very serious reading comprehension problems.

YOUR personal attacks and degrading and disrespectful posts directed to me and others detract, not add, to the discussions in this forum. I suspect that most in here feel the same way that I do about YOUR disrespect.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:D Irony is funny.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Poor little Bass. He can reach the straw, but he just can't build up enough suction to get a drink.  :D
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Nov. 13 2013, 6:35 am)
Poor little Bass. He can reach the straw, but he just can't build up enough suction to get a drink.  :D

So you are bragging about your "suction" skills?
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 7:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Nov. 13 2013, 6:35 am)

No, not "poor little" viper. I've tasted blood now. Tiny sips as you can see. So monkey minds need to watch their rats and chains in the future.
 Post Number: 30
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Nov. 12 2013, 10:58 pm)
I could give a rat's patootie what you say about my so-called reputation here, no matter how much you bold it and bold it again. :laugh:

Your rants are right there for all to see. Start with post #5 and read downward.

GoBlue, you are among the most respectful and thoughtful posters in this forum. Not that you care, but if Bass thinks he comes out in a favorable light (compared to you or on the stand-alone merits of his posts) then he doesn't have a functional mirror.

I went through some nasty exchanges with Bass last year in the wake of the Benghazi attack and his expressed desire to see Libya turned into nuclear glass. He steadfastly argued why he thought that was a justified course of action, and to this day I don't know if he really believed his own arguments or was yanking chains.

Either way, it is disturbing. I've left him alone since then, but felt I had to point out the irony of his post #5 in this thread.

I will not respond directly to Bass, and I'm done with this thread.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
61 replies since Nov. 09 2013, 12:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply All This Could Have Been Roads, Bridges and
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions