2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dumb and stupid but racist? Dunno....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 9:16 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013....D405078

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Monkey masks and waving bananas are a common expression of racism in European soccer games towards African players.

So yea, racist.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks racist to me.  If it wasn't, why did HD apologize?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Racist.

Come on; implying there's a difficulty distinguishing to of the people from a third wearing a gorilla mask? When the other two are black?

"a picture of two African-American drummers with a person in a gorilla mask in between them and asked: "Which drummer is not like the others?""

Moronically racist.
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that racism is so deep-rooted in our society that many of us are unable to see it, even when it is blatantly obvious.  Just look at the comments section in the link as an example of this.

There may not have been any harm intended, but the comment was definitely racist in nature.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Monkey masks and waving bananas are a common expression of racism in European soccer games towards African players.

Never heard that but since I don't "do sports", it's not surprising.

If it wasn't, why did HD apologize?

Because it's easier than trying to explain something isn't racist to those who have already decided it is and made a big stink over a misinterpretation.

implying there's a difficulty distinguishing to of the people from a third wearing a gorilla mask? When the other two are black?

The ad is in fact saying the 2 guys on the ends on are nothing like an ape. Only inherent racists could possibly conclude anything else.

--------------

Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Home Depot said Friday that it has fired the person and outside agency that was responsible for the tweet, but didn't disclose their names.

"We have zero tolerance for anything so stupid and offensive," said Stephen Holmes, spokesman for the Atlanta-based company.

Sounds like they have zero tolerance period.
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 13 2013, 12:09 pm)
implying there's a difficulty distinguishing to of the people from a third wearing a gorilla mask? When the other two are black?

The ad is in fact saying the 2 guys on the ends on are nothing like an ape. Only inherent racists could possibly conclude anything else.

So you're saying the ad is actually speciesist?

My opinion: racist.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 13 2013, 12:09 pm)

Never heard that but since I don't "do sports", it's not surprising.

Sad, but true. It really gets vile when the crowd starts chanting "Ook, ook, ook" at the player.

I also heard on the radio this morning while driving to work that a French minister (who isn't white) was being depicted as a monkey in some right-wing magazine.

http://www.english.rfi.fr/france....taubira

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 13 2013, 12:16 pm)

"We have zero tolerance for anything so stupid and offensive,

Well, we could debate whether it was racist or offensive till the comes come home, but it was definitely stupid.  Not much debate there.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Only inherent racists could possibly .."

Well as I don't "do racists"…..
 Post Number: 12
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It says as much about the people who question this as racist as the act itself.

Biologically illiterate as well. We are of the Primate order.
All of us, not just Africans.

Why do bigots associate black humans with gorillas, chimps, monkeys etc.,? They are all our ancestors.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Nov. 13 2013, 2:29 pm)
h gorillas, chimps, monkeys etc.,? They are all our ancestors.

Ah, oh! :O   There you go opening another can of worms.  Please, one controversy per thread is all I can handle. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Nov. 13 2013, 11:29 am)
It says as much about the people who question this as racist as the act itself.

Biologically illiterate as well. We are of the Primate order.
All of us, not just Africans.

Why do bigots associate black humans with gorillas, chimps, monkeys etc.,? They are all our ancestors.

And per dna analysis some of us are more Neanderthal than others.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 13 2013, 9:09 am)

That's all you could conclude from this?  

The fact that there have been decades (centuries?) of racist jokes comparing blacks to monkeys or apes doesn't even enter your thought process?  Do you live in a bubble?
 Post Number: 16
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Again, we are all a lot like apes. Approx 99% of our DNA is the same.

Because another persons skin is dark and his arms are longer than yours does not make him closer to being a Gorilla.

The scientific ignorance here is astounding at times.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Nov. 13 2013, 1:32 pm)
The fact that there have been decades (centuries?) of racist jokes comparing blacks to monkeys or apes doesn't even enter your thought process?

No it doesn't. It didn't even register on me on first scan of the ad that the 2 guys were black.

--------------

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 13 2013, 7:21 pm)

The fact that there have been decades (centuries?) of racist jokes comparing blacks to monkeys or apes doesn't even enter your thought process?

No it doesn't. It didn't even register on me on first scan of the ad that the 2 guys were black.

Well I'm willing to bet that if you and your ancestors had been bearing the brunt of those types of jokes for your entire lives - you would've noticed.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Nov. 13 2013, 8:34 pm)

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 13 2013, 7:21 pm)

Well I'm willing to bet that if you and your ancestors had been bearing the brunt of those types of jokes for your entire lives - you would've noticed.

Some of my not-so-distant ancestors did.

--------------

Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe some definitions are in order...  Per Dictionary.com:  Racism.

1.  A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2.  A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3.  A hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Racism connotes intent.  Whoever put this photo together must be well aware of past, racist comparisons of Blacks to monkeys, chimps and gorillas.  To me, that automatically qualifies the photo as stupid and offensive -- but is it also racist?  Perhaps -- but I don't see it as 'automatically so'.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 13 2013, 7:58 pm)
Racism connotes intent.  Whoever put this photo together must be well aware of past, racist comparisons of Blacks to monkeys, chimps and gorillas.  To me, that automatically qualifies the photo as stupid and offensive -- but is it also racist?  Perhaps -- but I don't see it as 'automatically so'.

Repeating jokes that you know are racial attacks does show intent.
 Post Number: 22
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great timing - Our questions of "what is racist" have been answered...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch....racist-
 Post Number: 23
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Nov. 14 2013, 7:58 am)

(Ben2World @ Nov. 13 2013, 7:58 pm)

Repeating jokes that you know are racial attacks does show intent.

An intent to be funny that turned out to be misguided?  It's impossible to tell intent definitively from that photo alone.  Besides, most people who repeat Pollack jokes and such are not racists.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 24
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 2:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really?!  Absolutely false.

Distant cousins, maybe.  Ancestors, definitely not.

(Human DNA shares a common ancestor with "gorillas, chimps, monkeys etc", but they are not ancestors of humans.)
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Nov. 16 2013, 12:17 am)

Keep up on evolution theory.
Humans share a common ancestor with other primates but humans did not descend from apes. That common ancestor was more than 7 million years ago and possibly up to 25 million although research seems to show less than 8 million.
Now if you mean African humans are our ancestors (some of us more recent than others), DNA studies show we all originated in that region of the world.

--------------

Post Number: 26
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 3:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seriously, montanalonewolf? Really?

The thread title is

"Dumb and stupid but racist? Dunno...."?

Really?

Are you asking about the story in the link, or something a little closer to your home?? Because if you REALLY can't tell whether that picture is racist, then the questions apply as much to yourself as they may to the photo. And the answer  (answers = yes, yes and yes) is the same either way.

On the issue of evolution, you're not as clever as you think you are (confirming my commentary above) .. if "humans did not descend from apes", how and when did we become one?

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 6:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, really. I said above I didn't even notice on first glance that the 2 guys were black because color isn't what I see first. What does it say about the rest of you that skin color is what you see first?

On the issue of evolution, you're not as clever as you think you are (confirming my commentary above) .. if "humans did not descend from apes", how and when did we become one?

Humans and apes are both primates but a human is not an ape nor is an ape human.

--------------

Post Number: 28
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is the dunking gorilla that entertains fans at Phoenix Suns' games racist?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 29
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 19 2013, 2:48 am)
Yeah, really. I said above I didn't even notice on first glance that the 2 guys were black because color isn't what I see first. What does it say about the rest of you that skin color is what you see first?

Humans and apes are both primates but a human is not an ape nor is an ape human.

Well, Linnaeus thought we were/are.

The term "ape" isn't really a scientific one, but the science community do generally regard as being members of the great apes family, in a sub-group of primates called hominoids.the Great Apes, as opposed to the Lesser Apes ( not that there's anything hierarchical and anthropomorphic in that denomination!). So yes, we're apes. But no, we're not chimpanzees, and chimpanzees aren't humans.

What does it say about you that you don't see that whole tweet in the OP as awfully racist?

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 6:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That I'm not nearly as racist as you because I see people first and color is a few down the "list". You see skin color first. Would you (or anyone else) be as outraged if the 2 guys had been white? No? You're racist.

Racists see such ads as funny because they agree with some bizarre comparison that I really can't see. I understand  intellectuallywhy it's supposed to be racist but it makes no sense to me.
Those with hidden racist tendencies cry racism because they immediately see why it's supposed to be racist instead of "Huh?".

I mentioned above I initially "read" the ad as just 2 guys sitting with a gorilla and  since people are not gorillas/apes, that was the "not like the other". Then "that's dumb". Skin color played no part in it.

--------------

39 replies since Nov. 13 2013, 9:16 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dumb and stupid but racist? Dunno....
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions