2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Republicans and Tea Party Activists, 'Full Scale Civil War'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 3:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Years of growing friction between the Republican Party leaders and its Tea Party faction has erupted into what one conservative said today was "full-scale civil war."

House Speaker John Boehner, whose strategies have been repeatedly thwarted by Tea Party revolts in recent years, was blunt today when asked whether he thought the ultra-conservatives should get in line.

"I don't care what they do," Boehner replied.

The speaker lashed out at Tea Party activists.

"Well, frankly, I think they're misleading their followers," House Speaker John Boehner told reporters today. "I think they're pushing our members in places where they don't want to be."

"And frankly, I just think that they've lost all credibility," Boehner said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politic....1194296
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The country has clearly moved to the right in recent decades. I think that a moderate right-wing party that was not hostage to the wingnuts would dominate politics at the national level.

But I really don't think the GOP can become that even if the saner wing of the party tries to do so.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"a moderate right-wing party"

Aren't they called Democrats these days?
 Post Number: 4
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Dec. 12 2013, 3:17 pm)
The country has clearly moved to the right in recent decades. I think that a moderate right-wing party that was not hostage to the wingnuts would dominate politics at the national level.

But I really don't think the GOP can become that even if the saner wing of the party tries to do so.

While I think politics of DC in many ways has moved to the right the last 20 years I don't think
that should necessarily corresponds to the country as a whole moving to the right especially in
more recent years where liberals have won in the last 3 out of 4 elections and the main reason why
the right won in 2010 was that there was a small turnout that election as well as the fact that the
right demagogued certain issues over and over("death panel" claims for example).

As far as the future looks, demographic changes show that even a moderately conservative Republican
party is going to have trouble in the long run and hence why Republicans are putting so much effort
at massive Gerrymandering and very voting suppression efforts(again Republicans tend to do better the
lower the voting turnout)

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 12 2013, 4:28 pm)
"a moderate right-wing party"

Aren't they called Democrats these days?

Just about true

Note how Republicans so dictate the way issues are discussed that its not possible for tax increases to
even be on the table despite the fact that the overall tax burden in this country has been the lowest in
decades(at least as of 2011)

--------------
 Post Number: 6
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're a little late Mr. Boehner. Where the !@#$ were you the first of October?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This goes hand in hand with the "angry" thread.  It's not enough to just be angry with those damned liberals.
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boehner has finally concluded that no one else would even consider being Speaker in the current environment of the Republican House, and now he can finally begin to deal with issues in a realistic manner.

What a coward he has proved to be as a leader.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's still blocking bills from coming to a vote.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boehner admitting who was behind the shutting of the government and that he is
(or at least was) a pawn who was manipulated and push like a puppet by the
puppeteer(the outside tea party groups)

"You know, they pushed into this fight to defund 'Obamacare' and to shut down the government," Boehner said.
"Most of you know, my members know, that wasn't exactly the strategy that I had in mind."

"But if you recall, the day before the government reopened… one of these groups stood up and said, well, we
never really thought it would work," he added. "Are you kidding me?"

--------------
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While Speaker John A. Boehner was harsh in his public criticism of conservative advocacy groups opposed to a new bipartisan budget deal, his attack on the organizations was even more pointed when he was behind closed doors.

“They are not fighting for conservative principles,” Mr. Boehner told rank-and-file House Republicans during a private meeting on Wednesday as he seethed and questioned the motives of the groups for piling on against the plan before it was even made public.

“They are not fighting for conservative policy,” he continued, according to accounts of those present. “They are fighting to expand their lists, raise more money and grow their organizations, and they are using you to do it. It’s ridiculous.”

Representatives of the activist groups dismissed that assertion and called the speaker’s denunciation a diversion tactic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013....=1&_r=0

Looks like the civil war is heating up.  Pass the popcorn.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Full scale civil war? What exactly do they disagree on? Strategy and a few cosmetic things, but on ideology they agree.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 13
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 6:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lets send them small arms and liquor;
let them sort it out. They are a lot like Syria if you ask me.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
12 replies since Dec. 12 2013, 3:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Republicans and Tea Party Activists
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions