2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Oklahoma Opening Up Christmas!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 6:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This sounds great, finally a way for the Wiccans to get their message in the public schools, if you really support full sharing of all religious beliefs, this may be the way.  heh

Two bills, HB2316 and HB 2317, “permit school districts to display on school property scenes or symbols associated with traditional winter celebrations,” which the co-sponsors of the bill define to mean Christmas and Hanukkah. The language also states that any religious scene must also depict at least one other religious or secular icon.

The author of the two bills explained the rationale behind the legislation:

“The purpose of the Oklahoma Merry Christmas bill is to put a beacon of light, a safe harbor, if you will, in the pages of statutes so that our children … and our parents can run to a lighthouse whose light shines boldly on the pages of Oklahoma’s law books and declares that they have a right to express their core beliefs and celebrate winter traditions without fear of lawsuit, retribution or reprisal,” said Rep. Ken Walker, R-Tulsa, during a Capitol press conference.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice....schools

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 1:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Think it will go anything like this?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news....ng-disp

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 12 2013, 4:51 pm)
This sounds great, finally a way for the Wiccans to get their message in the public schools,

Let us know how that works our for you.
 Post Number: 4
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wiccans are no more irrational than Christians.

All Religions are valid, none are true.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Dec. 13 2013, 1:51 am)
Think it will go anything like this?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news....ng-disp

Yep, I think it will go exactly like that.

If Christmas is ok for school, then Wiccan is ok for school, in OK!

Imaginary friends of every kind will be in.

What a country!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always been on the fence about which would be better for our kids, to exclude all religion from our schools or to be 100% inclusive.  Still not sure.

My son attended a Montessori school from 18 months through Kindergarten.  It was in a Boston suburb with lots of foreign visiting professors and the like, so incredibly diverse.  And they celebrated it ALL, which I thought it was great.  I think *I* learned as much as the kids did, especially the somewhat obscure holidays/festivals/celebrations like Purim, Epiphany, etc.  So many of those special days have a historical/cultural basis and, really, the school and the families/parents involved were careful about keeping the dogma and any moral/political perspectives out of it.  One year, he even had two Israeli *and* one Palestinian classmates and, interestingly enough, the kids gravitated toward each other because one of the Israeli kids didn't speak any English but the Palestinian boy spoke Hebrew.

I can't help but think that if we mixed it up for our kids, they would grow up to be better, more tolerant, adults.

I grew up without any religious affiliation and my first real exposure to religion was at summer "sleep-away" camp as a 10 year old.  I went to a summer-long music camp where half the kids were Jewish (seemed like it, anyway.)  I sang in the "non-denominational" service every Sunday and I used to also go to temple on Fridays with my friends.

So, basically, I grew up thinking that half the world was Jewish and that religion was mostly about music.  :D   In retrospect, I really appreciate having had that as my first impression.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm an Okie by birth.  Lots of family still live there.  I visit often.  

My advice to any group planning to erect any Public non-Christian holiday displays:

Use cheap construction materials, or make sure the scenes are well insured.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But how about inside the classrooms?

That will be more of a problem, with immediate identity of the bloodletters!

We have nutcase religous relatives in OK too, but pretty much they now avoid having any contact with we heathans.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Dec. 13 2013, 6:34 pm)
But how about inside the classrooms?

Ultimately, I don't think the religious folk clamoring for it would like it.

If prayer or other religious service became part of the daily ritual in public schools in this day and age, there would be considerable contention over WHAT it would consist of. Even within Christianity there is considerable diversity and disagreement, but imagine how some folks would react to REAL diversity -- like reading from the Koran and having their kids exposed to worship of the prophet Mohammed.

Inevitably, it would be a real mess. Why do the same folks whose political ideology dictates the government can't do anything right look to government-run public schools for religious indoctrination of their children?

The separation of church and state is the foundation of religious freedom. If parents feel so strongly about exposing their children to religion beyond their home and their church, parochial school is an option.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 10
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm always amazed at the lack of knowledge of the proponents of ten commandments displays. According to Exodus (the bible book, not the movie) the ten commandments traditionally displayed on the two tablets were never actually written on any tablets.

Here is how Exodus tells the story:

1. Moses goes up the mountain the first time.  God gives him tablets with the 613 mitzvots written on them.  Moses carries them down the mountain but when he discovers his people dancing naked around a golden calf he drops them and they smash into pieces.

2.  His people ask for forgiveness and ask him to go back up the mountain to see the big guy again.  This time God speaks the traditional ten commandments to Moses, and Moses returns to his people and tells them the traditional ten commandments ("ten" being somewhat in dispute, but let's assume ten it is.)

3.  his people then beg moses to go back up the mountain for more information, and when Moses sees God for the third time, God gives Moses tablets written on both sides containing the original 613 mitzvots AND a dozen new commandments, the last of which is "never boil a mother in her kid's milk."  Some of the dozen are similar to the traditional ten but many are nothing like the traditional ten.  Moses takes the stones to his people and presents them to them.

The ten commandments written on stone that we often see displayed are actually from promotional material for Exodus the movie.
 Post Number: 11
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Dec. 13 2013, 6:19 pm)
I'm an Okie by birth.  Lots of family still live there.  I visit often.  

My advice to any group planning to erect any Public non-Christian holiday displays:

Use cheap construction materials, or make sure the scenes are well insured.

Just so I do not leave the wrong impression about Okies....I really admire and respect them. They are  some of the warmest, best folk I've ever met. I'm glad I was born there.

Make a list of all the assets that people folk should have, and Okies possess almost all of them.

But....religious tolerance, unfortunately, is not on their asset list.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 12
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 6:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I for one would like to see the monkey god on the State capitol lawn of OK. I hope the have a lot of room on that lawn, just in case the majority turns out to be wrong.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 13
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What child wouldn't love the stories of Hanuman? He could change size at will and used his powers to save his family from demons, carry mountains, and fly to the Sun. Good stuff.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 14
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dont know what the big issue is......we have been celebrating Happy Festivus Day for the last one hundred years or so.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Isn't Oklahoma just basically northern Texas? I thought Vincente' Fox annexed them a decade ago? No?

Damn wishful thinking again.
14 replies since Dec. 12 2013, 6:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Oklahoma Opening Up Christmas!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions