2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 2112345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Duck Dynasty Star Suspended, for remarks about gays< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 12:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nola.com/tv....ts.html

So the guy voices his opinion, and share's his religious beliefs.

Personally, I don't see any hate.  A&E is obviously concerned.

Fans of DD are talking about a boycott.  Personally, I think they should shop for another network.....maybe Fox?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh.  I never watched the show before, doubt I will now, regardless of what one guy on there said or didn't say in some interview.

It was a private network that made the decision to suspend him.  Their choice.  Words can have consequences.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That linkage with bestiality and he's over a line.

""Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,"¯"

Entertainers run those sort of risks, brand is an odd thing.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Free speech is protected and there is a thing called unlawful termination - private network or not.

Not saying the termination is unlawful (I don't know) -- but being a private network shouldn't be the deciding criterion as to whether or not free speech applies.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Duck what? Free speech, but the guy that owns the microphone gets to decide what is broadcast. What is your problem with this LB? Do you really watch it?  ???

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben,

As HSF notes, in the entertainment world, "brand" is key.  Musicians, movies, TV stars, all of them portray themselves in a certain way and the networks (studios, etc) sell that brand.  The show portrayed a funny, family-friendly environment with quirky characters and huge beards in the Louisiana backwoods.

His comments about gays and African-Americans damaged the brand.  The network wanted to avoid dramatic fallout (and an all-out boycott of the network), and so suspended him (note: they haven't actually fired him at this point).  Saving their own arses, so to speak.

You can call that "unlawful termination" if you want, but I doubt that'd hold up in court.  Show are canceled and characters added and removed often.  Of course he has a right to free speech.  No one is arresting him for this.  But he doesn't have an inherent right to keep his job in entertainment if his public comments directly damaged the very brand the network was selling.  His job is to attract viewers.  If his comments turn viewers away, they can fire him for that.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 7
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben, this is not a free speech issue.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually have watched it.  It's corny, undoubtedly staged, but entertaining.

I think it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  I believe he has a right to say what he believes.  I also think A&E has the right to suspend him.

I don't believe A&E made this decision based on morality.  I think they're afraid of a gay boycott and all the negative publicity connected.  They're afraid this guy will cost them advertising revenue.  For all I know they may be right, but the show is very popular, and it could just as well backfire.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 19 2013, 11:11 am)
I don't believe A&E made this decision based on morality.  I think they're afraid of a gay boycott and all the negative publicity connected.

I have no doubt you're right.  Money trumps all.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 19 2013, 10:02 am)
Free speech is protected and there is a thing called unlawful termination - private network or not.

Not saying the termination is unlawful (I don't know) -- but being a private network shouldn't be the deciding criterion as to whether or not free speech applies.

His right to "free speech" WAS protected: the interview was published and Congress made no law...

Then contract law got protected and his employer exercised their right of association.
 Post Number: 11
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Key sentence at the end of the article: "The show is currently in between production.".
In other words, the current season is filmed and wrapped. And the filming for the next season has not begun. So there is time for the whole thing to simmer down so that A&E can quietly bring this guy back. You notice they did NOT pull the show, only said they would not be using this one character going forward for an indefinite period of time.  Mark it down, by the time the next season comes around, if this character is important to the show, he'll be back.
BTW, never seen this show, know darn little about it. Not my cup of herbal tea.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 19 2013, 10:13 am)

I don't believe A&E made this decision based on morality.  I think they're afraid of a gay boycott and all the negative publicity connected.

Because the target demographic of that show are homosexuals?

Interesting, I wouldn't have made that connection.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2013, 11:17 am)

The target demographic doesn't have to be homosexuals for the comments to cause a fallout.

A&E, I have no doubt, doesn't want to get embroiled in a public battle with gay-rights groups making a big fuss about it.  They don't want to be in the position of tacitly defending the guy's remarks by standing behind him.

But I agree with buzzards, this may just be very temporary until the story blows over.  He may be back on the cast in a matter of months once everyone's forgotten about it.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2013, 12:17 pm)

LOL. Yeah, I doubt that's a big demographic for Duck Dynasty, but who knows.

To summarize this event: freedom of speech does not mean that one is free from consequences coming from what one says.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, FWIW, the comments published were at least as offensive to blacks as they were to gays,although that seems to be drawing less commentary.
 Post Number: 16
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He dinged the Blacks too, with comments that they were perfectly happy until someone started all this Civil Rights business.
I'm not shocked or surprised at the comments, given the source. There seems to be some competition for who can turn out the biggest yokel, and these guys don't seem to realize not everyone is laughing WITH them.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Dec. 19 2013, 10:24 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2013, 12:17 pm)

LOL. Yeah, I doubt that's a big demographic for Duck Dynasty, but who knows.

To summarize this event: freedom of speech does not mean that one is free from consequences coming from what one says.

Well the consequences are certainly more evident for someone in an entertainment position: that's the sort of completely perishable commodity where public whim and opinion sway to and fro on a constant basis and things aren't nearly as cut and dried as someone that digs ditches for a living.

Not really ever knowing why something IS popular probably also means never really knowing what will threaten that popularity. Hence entertainment contracts that always have huge discretionary termination clauses.
 Post Number: 18
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never watched it and can't imagine ever wanting too.  Is this really the culture  the American public wants?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 19 2013, 11:43 am)
Is this really the culture  the American public wants?

*sigh*

That's a heavy question.  I wish I could convincingly say "no."

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2013, 12:32 pm)
Not really ever knowing why something IS popular probably also means never really knowing what will threaten that popularity. Hence entertainment contracts that always have huge discretionary termination clauses.

Right, and like sports coaches and other folks prone to get fired  easily, they are compensated very well for living with that uncertainty. If your job is to be the flavor of the month on TV, then it's pretty obvious that you're not going to be holding onto that job long-term.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 19 2013, 10:43 am)
I've never watched it and can't imagine ever wanting too.  Is this really the culture  the American public wants?

With a zillion channel cable there's a lot of niche programing: I mean the Weather Channel has programs dedicated to following tow truck operators..... and there's others about people who simply place value estimates on old stuff....
 Post Number: 22
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm makes me want to try and watch the show now in a train wreck kind of way. Seemed their tactic worked.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 19 2013, 1:46 pm)

(hikerjer @ Dec. 19 2013, 11:43 am)
Is this really the culture  the American public wants?

*sigh*

That's a heavy question.  I wish I could convincingly say "no."

No. I would like to watch, oh I don't know, history type programming on the History Channel, natural science type programming on the Discovery Channel, and educational type programming on the Learning Channel. But here, have some pawn shops, lumberjacks, and rotten children.

I will however admit liking American Pickers.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2013, 11:17 am)

If they boycotted, it wouldn't just be "that show" they could contact the people advertising on ANY A&E show.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Dec. 19 2013, 12:26 pm)
No. I would like to watch, oh I don't know, history type programming on the History Channel, natural science type programming on the Discovery Channel, and educational type programming on the Learning Channel. But here, have some pawn shops, lumberjacks, and rotten children.

I will however admit liking American Pickers.

As you're well aware, what you want and what the American public as a whole want... may be two different things.

TV networks make a good living dialing up exactly what people want to sit and watch en masse.  For better or worse.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 19 2013, 11:02 am)

A lot of celebrity contracts contain a "morality clause" and other boilerplate text prohibiting said celebrity from "actions that would embarrass the network...yada, yada, yada."

It's usually vague enough that they could claim it applied in this situation.

But, that may also give the Robertsons an excuse to break the contract.  The show is very popular and could easily be picked up by another network.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not an infrequent complaint. Hence the increasing popularity of services like Netflix and Hulu. I get to choose my programming and have dialed back my cable subscription accordingly, I'm thinking about ditching it altogether and just having internet.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I typically don't have much of a problem with bestiality.

Sometimes, however, it is hard to get my llama to stand still.

ba-dump-bump.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 29
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Dec. 19 2013, 1:08 pm)
Ben,

As HSF notes, in the entertainment world, "brand" is key.  Musicians, movies, TV stars, all of them portray themselves in a certain way and the networks (studios, etc) sell that brand.  The show portrayed a funny, family-friendly environment with quirky characters and huge beards in the Louisiana backwoods.

His comments about gays and African-Americans damaged the brand.  The network wanted to avoid dramatic fallout (and an all-out boycott of the network), and so suspended him (note: they haven't actually fired him at this point).  Saving their own arses, so to speak.

You can call that "unlawful termination" if you want, but I doubt that'd hold up in court.  Show are canceled and characters added and removed often.  Of course he has a right to free speech.  No one is arresting him for this.  But he doesn't have an inherent right to keep his job in entertainment if his public comments directly damaged the very brand the network was selling.  His job is to attract viewers.  If his comments turn viewers away, they can fire him for that.

"His comments about gays and African-Americans damaged the brand."

So, comments about gays and African-Americans damages a brand? That sure makes these groups look awfully petty and weak.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(star @ Dec. 19 2013, 1:52 pm)
It's not an infrequent complaint. Hence the increasing popularity of services like Netflix and Hulu. I get to choose my programming and have dialed back my cable subscription accordingly, I'm thinking about ditching it altogether and just having internet.

Sports are the big barrier. You can get pretty-much everything else on services like Netflix and Hulu.

If there were a la carte streaming for college football, I'd cut the cable cord in a minute.
614 replies since Dec. 19 2013, 12:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 2112345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Duck Dynasty Star Suspended
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions