2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: christie-aide-tied-to-bridge-lane-closings< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 1:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazing they used emails for this!

Link Fixed!

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Jan. 08 2014, 11:58 am)

The requested URL /cgi-bin/forums/christie-aide-tied-to-bridge-lane-closings was not found on this server.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs....ibution

http://www.northjersey.com/news....phone=1

Hit that "send" button and it lives forever: and somebody WILL find it.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've said before that Christie's vindictiveness is legendary in NJ, where this has been brewing for months.  The surprising thing as that his Port Authority appointees didn't nip it in the bud by claiming to act on their own.  Christie is probably hoping that Kelly will claim she was acting on her own, and perhaps she will.
 Post Number: 5
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Traffic is a public safety threat with pollution and increased probability of accidents. Sounds like treason to me.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jan. 08 2014, 2:56 pm)
Traffic is a public safety threat with pollution and increased probability of accidents. Sounds like treason to me.

Actually, professionals (i.e. those not politically appointed) in the Port Authority balked at implementing the closures because of the potential impact on ambulances, fire trucks, and school buses.   They were overruled.

By the way the Port Authority is a multistate agency, and it's interesting that the NJ political appointees were able to overrule the NY political appointees, who also objected.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

text messages and e-mails show Christie's deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, sent an e-mail to top Port Authority official David Wildstein that said: "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."

I believe this is commonly referred to as a "career-limiting move"
 Post Number: 8
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was wondering when someone was going to make a thread about this

Was thinking about making one for weeks but just didn't get around to it.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 08 2014, 3:48 pm)
text messages and e-mails show Christie's deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, sent an e-mail to top Port Authority official David Wildstein that said: "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."

It won't be too much of an impediment in NJ.  She'll have to leave the governor's office, but she'll probably be able to step directly into another political job, especially on the campaign side.
 Post Number: 10
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even if Christie had no beforehand knowledge, he should have been whacking folk afterwards.

Punishing a political opponent with little regard to collateral damage is disappointing.  He seemed to have some sense of fairness and empathy.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Jan. 08 2014, 5:38 pm)
Even if Christie had no beforehand knowledge, he should have been whacking folk afterwards.

Punishing a political opponent with little regard to collateral damage is disappointing.  He seemed to have some sense of fairness and empathy.

This is where it's going to get interesting.  The governor's office and the Port Authority have steadfastly claimed that the PA was acting completely on its own entirely for the purposes of traffic study, and wouldn't release records on the grounds that there were no records to release.  The PA appointees testified before the state assembly recently that there was no outside direction.  There could now conceivably be legal trouble for them.

Also, Kelly was not the only communication channel between the governor's office and the PA.  A more important member of Christie's inner circle appears linked on both sides.  This might be enough evidence to justify a subpoena that has thus far been stalled by the wall of denial.

Christie's strategy from Day 1 was to stonewall and he'll burn whoever is needed to put this behind him.  Empathy is not one of his traits.  The appearance of empathy has been played up in the national media precisely to counter his local reputation for lacking it.  There's a reason he has so few friends in the party establishment.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops, this just in:  Christie now "outraged".  The Star-Ledger will have a field day with contrasting his call for action to his behavior up to now.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 08 2014, 4:21 pm)
Oops, this just in:  Christie now "outraged"

Translation:

We're throwing Bridget under the bus.
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll bet he's outraged.  Outraged that this ever leaked out.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plus the New York politicians are getting in the act now, taking the opportunity to drive Christie under the bus too.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what did Chisty know and when did he know it?

Investigations!!!! You would Republicans would if it was reversed. Hell if the situation was
reversed they would be calling for the impeachment of the particular Democrats that were involved.

On a more serious note, it turns out that this Chris Christ official, David Wildstein, who also
happens to be a long time friend of Christie from high school, has a history of pettiness.

"Christie Official At Center Of Probe Bought Domain Names Of Governor’s Political Opponents"

and this
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/david-wildstein-they-play-rough

Also there is this

FORT LEE – Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a
91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the
George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

http://www.northjersey.com/fortlee....phone=1

turns out she died

It also took EMS seven minutes to reach an unconscious 91-year-old woman who later died of cardiac arrest at a hospital

http://www.northjersey.com/fortlee....phone=1

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fort Lee mayor says David Wildstein official deserves an 'ass-kicking'.

said on Chris Hayes show this evening

http://www.nj.com/politic....al.html

Of course Wildstein called him a "little Serbian" before that. LOL!!

Actually he is Croatian I think

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think the issue is so much when Christie learned the truth, it's why he didn't personally get to the bottom of it sooner.  He's been getting skewered in the papers for months over this, so he's had plenty of time to prepare.   It's not as if there was a plausible alternative to what the evidence now shows.  The quickness of Ft. Lee's mayor to speak up suggests that it corresponds to a prior threat.  The PA's poor showing before the assembly in December left no doubt that the only question left was who was going to swing for this.  It would have been much wiser for Christie to do the hanging than to wait idly for the mob to do it.
 Post Number: 19
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Jan. 09 2014, 12:03 am)
Of course Wildstein called him a "little Serbian" before that. LOL!!

Actually he is Croatian I think

Which is why he called him a Serbian.

On the original topic: If this plays out as it appears, it is despicable.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 20
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

George Washington Bridge for sale. Owner financing available.  Only stipulation is that potential buyers must be gullible enough to buy Christie's story that he was duped by an aide.
 Post Number: 21
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 08 2014, 3:48 pm)

To go with his career-limiting personality.

I like his apparent bi-partisan ways, but he's too much of a bully. It might work at local and state levels, but it won't fly nationally.

Rahm Emanuel has the same issue. He has a habit of swearing at his political enemies. Makes for good local drama here in Chicago.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One interesting part of today's more detailed news is that the Wall Street Journal was onto it within a week, although they left the heavy lifting to the Star-Ledger.  Christie knew four months ago that the heat was on.  He's a prosecutor to the core.  I don't think he could have believed believed the denials.

Anyhow, I wonder how the Star-Ledger got the emails.  They were sent from the private gmail and yahoo mail accounts and are only described in various stories as being "obtained by the Star-Ledger".  I don't think the State Assembly had them yet, but I could be wrong.  Perhaps Christie really did drill down and just waited for a convenient moment to act.  Otherwise, some other insider must have rolled over on them.  

Link (far more detailed than anything national)
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wildstein pleads the Fifth.

It's his right to do so, but I don't think silence will prevent whatever he's got coming. I hope it includes loss of pension benefits, since it's a clear case of official misconduct.  He's probably more worried about federal charges now, anyway.  He scoffed privately in August, and publicly in September and ever since.  I bet he doesn't think it's so funny now.
 Post Number: 24
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The whole thing seems incredibly, dubiously petty.  It's hard to argue that you work for the good of the people you serve when you purposely cause traffic congestion by closing lanes for no reason other than to spite your political opponents.

And yes, if true, it'll likely harm his prospects in the national arena.  Deservedly so.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 25
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This would never happen in NJ, no way!
 Post Number: 26
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They got the emails with a subpoena, which is pretty normal now.  Apparently all emails are subject to subpoena, once you put them out in the ether.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jan. 09 2014, 2:41 pm)
They got the emails with a subpoena

That's what I assumed, but so far I haven't seen it explicitly stated.  Early on, they couldn't get any subpoenas issued.   Once issued, most have been vigorously challenged.
 Post Number: 28
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jan. 09 2014, 12:41 pm)
They got the emails with a subpoena, which is pretty normal now.  Apparently all emails are subject to subpoena, once you put them out in the ether.

E-mails by public employees about public business (and the workings of a state or federal highway on any given day would seem public business) are open to subpoena, if cause can be shown.  There are legal limits, of course.  (A Democrat can't request all e-mails between Republicans during an election just to see what they're saying, for instance, or vice-versa.)

Private e-mails at a private company, somewhat less so.  Some are protected entirely, such as e-mails between a lawyer and a client.

Those who work in the public sector have to realize that.  Even I, working at a public university, know that e-mails I send from my .edu address could be cleared for public viewing at some point (as a research employee anyway... notsomuch as a student).  There are limits, however, to what exactly is publicly accessible and for what purpose.

My boss spent two years recently serving a very high-ranking appointed position at NASA.  He was very aware that all e-mails from his .gov address were open to public scrutiny with a single FIA request.  He describes growing somewhat weary of having to word all his e-mails with that salient detail in mind.

ETA: I am not a lawyer, however, nor a legal expert, so take that all worth a grain of salt, and perhaps less so. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 29
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Deleted and Replaced:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011....upidity

"3. Remember the New York Times rule: Assume that any e-mail you send will appear tomorrow on the front page of the Times. If you would be embarrassed to see your e-mail published in the Times, don’t press “send.”

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I found at least two citations, one explicit and one less so.

CNN: "The emails were provided under subpoena to a New Jersey state committee investigating the matter."

Newark Star-Ledger: "The surfacing of the email and other related communications comes on the same day as the scheduled release of communications-related documents related to the closures subpoenaed by an assembly panel looking into the closures."
96 replies since Jan. 08 2014, 1:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply christie-aide-tied-to-bridge-lane-closings
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions