2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Capital Punishment:Is Lethal Injection Acceptable?, 15 minutes to Die in Ohio< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 11:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nytimes.com/2014....0140117

I do not support Capital punishment. That aside I can't believe anyone supports this kind of kwap. Why don't we just use a pneumatic piston like they do with cattle? Would be far more humane, no?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Either is fine with me...............................I wonder how long it took his victim to die?

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The guy raped one and murdered 2 yet lived another 25 years  longer than his victims. He didn't take long enough to die.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about they time him down and give the family members of the victims a few very dull knives.

No anesthesia needed.
 Post Number: 5
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it is to be done there isn't any reason to torture the person.  I doubt a pneumatic piston would be considered humane, not sure.  I would think this would have been researched, I am not sure why finding the right method is such a problem.

"I feel my whole body burning.” Poisons are rather painful, it says he was sedated, but only he knows if he felt pain, I am surprised he was conscious.

Mercy killing is done with Hydrogen or Helium, your body does not know it is being deprived of oxygen so  it is supposed to be quite painless, so I wonder why that isn't used. (I saw this on a show where the Feds, convicted a group that was helping people do this).

Maybe a guillotine, or hanging , firing squad would be better.  

I think one should separate the death from the killing.  What if his punishment had been this painful, but life and freedom.  I sure he would have made the trade, as say a cancer patient probably does.  Is eliminating his pain for us or him? I guess it is good that we aren't desensitized to these issues.  Too bad warfare isn't concerned with these things.

My concerns with the death penalty is mixed, but I don't have to dwell on it much, because life imprisonment makes so much more sense, for those who are innocent, and cost to the state (lengthy court process).  Of course we forget about the later even if they are innocent so that may not be that much better.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With heavy sedation, basically surgical level anesthesia, if this is going to be done then the time doesn't make a difference to me.
 Post Number: 7
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are several reasons I prefer life-without-parole.

Including for this guy.  But, at same time, I realize I feel no sympathy for him.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well at least I now know that the first 3 responders are not Christians whether they profess to be or not. Nor are they conservatives given the cost CP must have unless we wish to sink into even greater depths of barbarity.  

Other article says it wasn't 15 minutes, it was 25.

I say if we have to keep satisfying the blood lust of millions of Americans like our friends here at least the convicted should have the choice of methods.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not that it's going to make any difference to you DC, but Numbers 35:16-21

If anyone strikes someone a fatal blow with an iron object, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death. Or if anyone is holding a stone and strikes someone a fatal blow with it, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death. Or if anyone is holding a wooden object and strikes someone a fatal blow with it, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death.  The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death; when the avenger comes upon the murderer, the avenger shall put the murderer to death. If anyone with malice aforethought shoves another or throws something at them intentionally so that they die or if out of enmity one person hits another with their fist so that the other dies, that person is to be put to death; that person is a murderer. The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death when they meet.
 Post Number: 10
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My guess is his death was a lot less traumatic than those who's lives he took....

Although, knowing the day, hour, and minute seems pretty cruel to me.

If this must be done, then I suggest waiting for the guy to go to bed one night and after he's asleep seal up the cell, and inject carbon monoxide into the room.  Or, shoot the guy in the head....

It's not the death that's cruel, its knowing when and how IMO.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 11
solonomad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Frankly, I don't understand why they don't use a lethal injection technique similar to the one vets use for dogs and other animals. I've had the unfortunate experience of having to have several dogs "put to sleep" over the years. The vet first administers a sedative which calms the animal and makes it very drowsy. A few minutes later, the vet then administers the lethal injection which causes the animal's heart to stop within less than a minute. I have never witnessed an animal make any kind of noise or appear to suffer any pain during this process and the whole thing never takes more than a couple of minutes.

I might also mention that I live out in the country so I've also witnessed friends having farm animals such as horses and pigs put down in a similar manner. I only mention this in case anyone thinks the difference in size between a dog and human might be an issue. For larger animals, the doc just increases the doses of both the anesthetic and the lethal injection.

I guess there must be some FDA or other Gov't reg stopping the prison system from using the same drugs.

--------------
"When you travel; if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion...you might as well stay home"
                                      James A. Michener
 Post Number: 12
chuckbo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a practicing Catholic, and a left leaning Democrat, but on this issue I agree 100% with montanalonewolf and lamebeaver.  He got what he deserved.
 Post Number: 13
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Life w/o parole.

There is a margin of error within our justice system.  The risk of killing one innocent person is sufficient reason alone to do away with the death penalty altogether.  Not to mention the many other valid reasons.
 Post Number: 14
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Jan. 17 2014, 12:22 pm)
Either is fine with me...............................I wonder how long it took his victim to die?

So you relish in the suffering of others as much as the criminal huh? Explains the high violent crime rate in Texas I guess.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 17 2014, 3:08 pm)

If anyone strikes someone a fatal blow with an iron object, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death. Or if anyone is holding a stone and strikes someone a fatal blow with it, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death. Or if anyone is holding a wooden object and strikes someone a fatal blow with it, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death.  The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death; when the avenger comes upon the murderer, the avenger shall put the murderer to death. If anyone with malice aforethought shoves another or throws something at them intentionally so that they die or if out of enmity one person hits another with their fist so that the other dies, that person is to be put to death; that person is a murderer. The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death when they meet.

LOL - So suddenly the OT is relevant again. Does that mean no more shrimp scampi for you?
 Post Number: 16
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 17 2014, 4:04 pm)

(JimmyC @ Jan. 17 2014, 12:22 pm)

So you relish in the suffering of others as much as the criminal huh? Explains the high violent crime rate in Texas I guess.

I had a grilled cheese sandwich for luch today.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could someone refresh my memory and explain what the book of numbers has to do with Jesus and his teachings? Is it not about purported events long before Christ?

Chuck bo,

With all due respect my Aunt that rose to be Mother Superior of the then most powerful order of Nuns in the world actively campaigned against capital punishment. She apparently held more stock in the first two commandments then far more obscure passages arguably unrelated to the life and values of Christ. I'm also surprised to see you describe yourself as practicing given the official position of the church is at serious odds with your own.

Peace,

John

--------------

Post Number: 18
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solonomad @ Jan. 17 2014, 1:27 pm)
Frankly, I don't understand why they don't use a lethal injection technique similar to the one vets use for dogs and other animals. I've had the unfortunate experience of having to have several dogs "put to sleep" over the years. The vet first administers a sedative which calms the animal and makes it very drowsy. A few minutes later, the vet then administers the lethal injection which causes the animal's heart to stop within less than a minute. I have never witnessed an animal make any kind of noise or appear to suffer any pain during this process and the whole thing never takes more than a couple of minutes.

I might also mention that I live out in the country so I've also witnessed friends having farm animals such as horses and pigs put down in a similar manner. I only mention this in case anyone thinks the difference in size between a dog and human might be an issue. For larger animals, the doc just increases the doses of both the anesthetic and the lethal injection.

I guess there must be some FDA or other Gov't reg stopping the prison system from using the same drugs.

Actually, the reason that we have to get creative on "death cocktails" is that some of the more effective drugs are made in or by European companies that will not sell them for capital punishment.
Interestingly, at least one of these companies has no issue selling them to MD's for euthanasia, but that is another thread, I suppose.
I can't remember the article, but I did read it on the internet, so it HAS to be true.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 17 2014, 2:06 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 17 2014, 3:08 pm)

LOL - So suddenly the OT is relevant again. Does that mean no more shrimp scampi for you?

Read Acts 10
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why?
 Post Number: 21
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was for CP at one time in my life, for many years.  I have come around to being anti-CP from a purely financial perspective.  It costs so much less to warehouse humans than it does to execute them, even at $50K per year.

One of the side benefits is that is we warehouse people, there is no chance of executing an innocent person.

As for the torturous effect of whichever method we currently employ, I am all for making it as short and painless as possible.  This is not about revenge, and certainly isn't about justice.  Neither of those things is served by CP.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 22
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fully understand that people can disagree about the death penalty, as they can about just about everything. What I don't understand is the giddiness over it, as expressed in a few of the posts on this thread. The taking of a person's life is always a tragedy no matter the circumstances, and nothing to be giddy about, IMHO.
 Post Number: 23
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not "giddy" about it, just that the guy deserved to die for his actions and it shouldn't have taken 25 years from the time he committed the crime. He confessed and DNA proved he did it. This wasn't an execution where guilt was questionable.

Tragedy for him to die? His victims, yes. Him, no.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jan. 17 2014, 5:44 pm)
I fully understand that people can disagree about the death penalty, as they can about just about everything. What I don't understand is the giddiness over it, as expressed in a few of the posts on this thread. The taking of a person's life is always a tragedy no matter the circumstances, and nothing to be giddy about, IMHO.

Evidence shows that states without the death penalty have lower murder rates. The reason is likely due to the fact that a populace who supports their government taking human life, is comprised of people who can easily find their own reasons for taking life.
 Post Number: 25
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jan. 17 2014, 2:27 pm)
It's not the death that's cruel, its knowing when and how IMO.

That reminds of something Woody Allen once said:
I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Regarding the death penalty, there are 2 reasons why I might support it:

1) If it is an effective deterrent, thereby saving innocent lives. That's a very big if, which IIRC has been largely dispelled.

2) If it eases the mental anguish of the the victim's family. Such a variable (some families don't want that kind of closure) is a dubious criteria for capital punishment. However, I place more value on the grief of the family than on the life of the murderer.

Aside from that, I place no value in eye-for-an-eye retribution or judging that someone deserves to die. I think an advanced civilization needs to evolve beyond that concept of justice.

But if there is to be execution of prisoners, it is IMO barbaric to purposely inflict pain in the process.

Perhaps the most valid argument against the death penalty is that justice is not dispensed equally in our society. Economic status dictates the quality of legal defense, and it's not unheard of for people to serve decades in prison for convictions later overturned.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 26
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting that some people who want this person die a horrible death are against the husband who wants to pull the plug on his brain dead wife.

As far as putting someone down, I think the Germans perfected that years ago.

You just have to go into the showers and pull the bodies apart.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Jan. 17 2014, 7:25 pm)
Interesting that some people who want this person die a horrible death are against the husband who wants to pull the plug on his brain dead wife.

As far as putting someone down, I think the Germans perfected that years ago.

You just have to go into the showers and pull the bodies apart.

They're also the same ones who believe they've been saved from eternal damnation because they were forgiven for their owns sins, yet the idea of forgiving others seems beyond them.
 Post Number: 28
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just one more persuasive example as to why the death penalty should be abolished.

Until we as a nation quit hiring assassins to kill helpless prisoners we will never get a handle on our culture of violence and begin to move toward a civilized society.

According to the Xtian fantasy system this heinous criminal is undoubedly in heaven now, enjoying the feast of a prodigal son.  

Nearly all these guys grasp at the hope of eternal salvation while waiting for the state to kill them, and they surely ask god to forgive their sins, and that is the same guarantee a lot of posters here are relying upon, no?  LOL

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 29
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2014, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That it took him 25 or 26 minutes to die does not mean he suffered. He was given a strong sedating substance, followed by an opioid that frequently causes euphoria.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 30
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jan. 17 2014, 11:48 am)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014....0140117

I do not support Capital punishment. That aside I can't believe anyone supports this kind of kwap. Why don't we just use a pneumatic piston like they do with cattle? Would be far more humane, no?

Utah provides a firing squad option.  It was last used in 2010.  Sounds at least as humane as a pneumatic piston.

Separately, I would understand the outrage if the prisoner suffered while dying.  But there is zero evidence he suffered and lots of evidence he could not have suffered while dying.
85 replies since Jan. 17 2014, 11:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Capital Punishment:Is Lethal Injection Acceptable?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions