2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Time Warner/Comcast to Merge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2014, 1:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How soon until monopolies are the norm again? Given the recent SCOTUS net neutrality ruling, I don't see any good coming from this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014....38.html

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'm bumping my own thread. I can't believe no one thinks this merger or general topic of increasing monopolization is worthy of comment. Then again... maybe I can.

Here's some more fodder:

Chart 1. Number and Percentage of U.S. Manufacturing Industries in which Largest Four Companies Accounted for at Least 50 Percent of Shipment Value in Their Industries, 1947-2007

https://monthlyreview.org/2011....italism

--------------
 Post Number: 3
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the Franchise Wars. Now all restaurants are Taco Bell."

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 4
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is much more profitable to be a monopoly, competitors imitate your products, drive down prices.  Even Microsoft is having trouble these days though.

I did not realize how long this has been going on since before Reagan.  

I also did not realize NBC & Comcast where the same.  Since these cable companies are in different markets, the monopoly will be the same as far as those markets go?  The real problem will be with the channels that provide content negotiating with them, of course, they could go to Hulu etc.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers." Krugman
 Post Number: 5
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 14 2014, 10:33 am)
I can't believe no one thinks this merger or general topic of increasing monopolization is worthy of comment. Then again... maybe I can.

I had read the story before you posted and had the same concerns you do but I didn't think it was worth further discussion, because you'd already made the point. Just because no one comments doesn't mean no one is interested.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both of those cable companies are already monopolies where they deliver cable television: that's the structure of that media segment. The joined company would get larger: but that doesn't change the fact the "monopoly" aspect wouldn't change one household's worth as their service areas do not overlap at all.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Feb. 14 2014, 11:47 am)
...of course, they could go to Hulu etc.

Likely not given the recent net neutrality ruling.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's no longer the case. Since 1992 as a result of the Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act, other cable companies can compete in the area.
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But Comcast and Time-Warner do not.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's due to current technology that makes it expensive to lay more lines by the competitor. As technology continues to evolve there's no reason to think that will always be a deterrent because eventually everything will be wireless.
9 replies since Feb. 13 2014, 1:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Time Warner/Comcast to Merge
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions