2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Civil disobedience in CT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
markinOhio Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 4:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2014....gs&_r=0

Doesn't sound like the State has the stomach to “come and take”.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The second portion of that link was quite informative.
"A 4-year-old girl was shot and killed in a home in Lake Worth, Fla., Thursday night. The circumstances surrounding the shooting aren’t immediately clear, including how the girl came in contact with an unsecured gun.

—The Palm Beach Post

Four men between the ages of 43 and 76 were shot and wounded during a robbery attempt at a social club for senior citizens in Gary, Ind., Wednesday night. The shooting victims are between the ages of 43 and 76. The suspect, a 23-year-old man from Chicago, was shot by a 65-year-old patron. A former member of the club said a recent change to the club’s admission policy has invited violence from younger people. The gunman has been apprehended.

—WLS-TV

A 33-year-old woman and her 15-year-old daughter were shot and seriously wounded as they sat in a car outside their Romeoville, Ill., home Thursday morning. Police said the pair was targeted. Four people were taken in for questioning.

—Chicago Tribune

Venzel Richardson, 14, was shot in the head and killed in the West Woodlawn neighborhood of Chicago Wednesday night. The victim, a high school freshman, was walking home from a convenience store with two friends when a white van pulled up and someone inside opened fire. “My baby is gone because people just don’t have no remorse and no feeling,” his mother said. Police said recent conflicts between two street gangs have contributed to a lot of the violence in the neighborhood.

—Chicago Tribune

A man believed to be in his 30s found fatally shot in an alley in the South Austin neighborhood of Chicago Thursday night. The circumstances of the shooting are not immediately clear.

—Chicago Tribune

A 27-year-old man was shot in the stomach during a road-rage incident in Agawam, Mass., early Thursday. The suspect, who was driving in front of the victim, repeatedly jammed on his brakes and blocked him from passing. A passenger in the suspect’s vehicle then opened fire with a small-caliber revolver. Police have a vague suspect description.

—MassLive

James Ritter, 54, was shot multiple times in the head and chest and killed during an argument in a home in Monessen, Pa., Wednesday night. Christopher Allshouse was arrested. Ritter and Allshouse lived in the house together with Allshouse’s mother.

—CBS Pittsburgh

Two men were shot and wounded across the street from Cesar Chavez Elementary School in Coachella, Calif., Thursday afternoon. Neither of the victims were students at the school. Authorities have not released details of what they believe led to the shootings, but they are searching for two suspects.

—MyDesert.com

A man was killed and a woman was wounded in a shooting in a vacant house in Sparks, Nev., Thursday morning. The circumstances of the shooting are not clear. Police said the shooter is cooperating with the investigation.

—KOLO 8

A 19-year-old man was shot in the shoulder while sitting in a car in Yakima, Wash., Thursday night. The shooting appears to be gang-related.

—Yakima Herald

J.P. Zubia, 24, was shot and killed during an argument over a woman on a boat ramp in Pimlico County, N.C., early Thursday. Police arrested Cleveland Caraway II and Kristen Lee.

—WITN

A woman was shot in the head and wounded outside a smoke shop in Carlisle, Pa., Thursday afternoon. The motive has not been identified, but police do not believe the victim was the intended target.

—The Sentinel

One person was shot multiple times and killed in Bowie County, Tex., Wednesday night. Police think the shooting may have stemmed from a property dispute. No arrests have been made.

—KSLA

Carey Griggs, 42, was shot in the mouth and killed in a home in Texarkana, Tex., early Wednesday. Anyone with information is asked to call police.

—ArLaTexHomepage.com

A 22-year-old man was shot twice on the west side of Erie, Pa., Thursday evening. The victim will not specify exactly where the shooting occurred.

—GoErie.com

A police officer was shot in the arm while serving a search warrant for drugs in Helena-West Helena, Ark., Thursday evening. The suspects, who are brothers, were shot by police.

—WREG

Ronnie Clark, 45, was shot in the stomach and wounded at an apartment complex in Newport, Ark., Thursday night. Sherwood Simmons, 32, called police and confessed. Police found a .38 caliber revolver with a defaced serial number and a small amount of marijuana on the suspect. Police do not know a motive.

—KAIT 8

A man was shot and killed at an apartment complex in Baton Rouge, La., late Thursday. Police did not release further details.

—The Advocate

A 31-year-old man was shot in the shoulder during a verbal altercation in an alley outside Belcher’s House of Rock in Mansfield, Ohio, early Thursday. Shaqkeim Lloyd, 19, was arrested on a charge of felonious assault.

—MansfieldNewsJournal.com

Duane Peoples, 55, was shot twice and wounded by two men who opened fire as his car idled at an intersection in Toledo, Ohio, Wednesday night. The victim drove his vehicle back to his home, where he collapsed in the doorway.

—The Blade

Patricia Pallenberg, 54, who was shot in a home in north Columbus, Ohio, on Tuesday has died. Brian W. Hill, 45, and Terry R. Nichols, 46, were arrested and charged with felonious assault. No word on a motive.

—NBC4i.com

A 32-year-old man was shot in the arm in the Rainier Valley neighborhood of Seattle, Wash., early Thursday. The victim gave varying stories about what led to the shooting.

—SeattlePI

A 42-year-old man was found shot to death in the parking lot of an apartment complex near downtown Orlando, Fla., Thursday morning. Officers did not give a description of any suspects.

—News 13

A man was shot and wounded while breaking into a warehouse in Cleveland, Ohio, Thursday morning. The owner of the warehouse is in police custody. No charges have been filed.

—Cleveland.com

A man was shot and wounded on Serenity Drive in Fort Wayne, Ind., Thursday afternoon. Police said it is unclear whether the victim was shot inside a vehicle or outside an apartment building. Police do not have a suspect.

—INC NOW

Rohitkumar Patel, 38, a gas station clerk, was shot in the face and critically wounded during a robbery in Centerville, Ga., Wednesday night. A man barged in and demanded money, and after the victim complied, he was shot. Police have a suspect description.

—The Telegraph

A 32-year-old man was shot in the neck through the window of a home in Newport News, Va., late Thursday. The victim was visiting a woman when he was shot. No information has been released about any suspects.

—WAVY.com

Jeffrey Spear was shot multiple times with a .22 rifle in Crawford, Ala., Thursday afternoon, and his girlfriend, Ashlea Scroggins, 26, is charged with the attempted murder. The victim said the incident began when a bottle of his pills went missing.

—WBRC

A man was wounded in a shooting in Montgomery, Ala., Thursday night. Police say the circumstances of the shooting are under investigation and no arrests have been made.

—WBRC

A man was shot in the back and wounded in Jackson, Miss., early Thursday. A car crashed nearby, and police are investigating whether the incidents are related.

—WAPT

A 22-year-old man was shot in the neck and wounded in Trenton, N.J., Wednesday night. The victim ran to the home of his girlfriend, who took him to the hospital. No information about possible suspects is available.

—NJ.com"
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is very informative that none of the incidents involved an AR-15, or would have been prevented by a magazine size limit.

Another informative tidbit….. a grand total of ONE murder was committed in Connecticut between 1994 and Sandy Hook that involved a rifle (no data on if it was in fact an AR-15, or even a semi-automatic).
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 14 2014, 6:46 pm)
It is very informative that none of the incidents involved an AR-15, or would have been prevented by a magazine size limit.

Another informative tidbit….. a grand total of ONE murder was committed in Connecticut between 1994 and Sandy Hook that involved a rifle (no data on if it was in fact an AR-15, or even a semi-automatic).

Ah Mark, I think you missed High Sierra's point by a long shot.  No pun intended.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Describing a firearm as an "assault weapon" is generally meaningless.
I have 2 shotguns, both are Mossberg 500s.
One has a factory stock, the other has a recoil reduction stock that has a pistol grip.
Even though both function exactly the same, the one with the custom stock would be considered an "assault weapon" in places like CT, NY, CA, etc.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And during that same time period, approximately 45 people were killed and ~250 injured and maimed each day by DWI/DUI drivers.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thoreau's concept of "civil disobedience", as he recorded in his piece "On Civil Disobedience", was that the action included,nay , necessitated, going to prison.

Hiding some goodies in a closet doesn't quite have the same impact. They need to step up, get arrested and stay in prison. That's the civil disobedience way. Otherwise they're just little naughty hoarders.

Nothing all that impressive in not filling out a form or getting handcuffed for the cameras and then released around the corner.
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2014, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, so they're not practicing civil disobedience, they're just ignoring a stupid law.
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2014, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, as long as we are going to grant sainthood to HDT, we might as well adhere to his quotes:

“We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.”

HDT
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2014, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 15 2014, 1:02 pm)
OK, so they're not practicing civil disobedience, they're just ignoring a stupid law.

And I'm okay with that. Just offput by the pose of "civil disobedience", though giving the person the benefit of the doubt that was brought up by the catchphrase chasing reporter who fed him the question. A lot of people i see interviewed will echo the question without much consideration.

So they're rolling through a stop sign out in the middle of nowhere, in daylight, with total visibility way down the roads.
 Post Number: 11
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Feb. 15 2014, 4:18 pm)
Well, as long as we are going to grant sainthood to HDT, we might as well adhere to his quotes:

“We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.”

HDT

You forgot the next line.

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected. This was my answer with respect to those youths who were bent on this pursuit, trusting that they would soon outgrow it."

And all the ones before it as well.

Moreover, when at the pond, I wished sometimes to add fish to my fare for variety. I have actually fished from the same kind of necessity that the first fishers did. Whatever humanity I might conjure up against it was all factitious, and concerned my philosophy more than my feelings. I speak of fishing only now, for I had long felt differently about fowling, and sold my gun before I went to the woods. Not that I am less humane than others, but I did not perceive that my feelings were much affected. I did not pity the fishes nor the worms. This was habit. As for fowling, during the last years that I carried a gun my excuse was that I was studying ornithology, and sought only new or rare birds. But I confess that I am now inclined to think that there is a finer way of studying ornithology than this.
 Post Number: 12
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 14 2014, 5:51 pm)

And during that same time period, approximately 45 people were killed and ~250 injured and maimed each day by DWI/DUI drivers.

Which is why we have DUI laws.

Now if we did not, your comment would make a tiny bit of sense.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cosmetic changes to the AR, the new NY version of the AR is legal in NY

http://www.foxnews.com/us....-rifles

Liberals take note....same thing happened under the clinton gun ban....the politically correct rifle...

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 14
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markinOhio @ Feb. 14 2014, 2:18 pm)

Can you show where the state ever intended to "come and take"? I am not familiar with the CT law, what are the penalties for violating it?
 Post Number: 15
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 14 2014, 9:51 pm)

It's interesting that you always bring this up.  Do you support the rights of drivers to operate vehicles under the influence without facing charges?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Feb. 16 2014, 12:42 pm)

I'm familiar with most gun laws but I have to admit I'm rather astounded that not a single law of the over 10,000 gun laws on the books covers reckless use of a firearm or shooting someone without cause.

Adding more laws won't do it. Enforcing existing ones will.

--------------

Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Feb. 16 2014, 3:56 pm)

It's interesting that you always bring this up.  Do you support the rights of drivers to operate vehicles under the influence without facing charges?

Not at all. DUI/DWI should be charged with attempted murder just for being under the influence behind the wheel and charged with premeditated murder for killing someone while under the influence.

Anti-gun freaks act as if there are NO gun laws that cover shooting someone without cause or reckless use and endangerment with firearm.
There are already well over 10,000 laws on the books covering cases like those mentioned above.
Why do you guys think just one more law is going to make the bad guys, who already violate every law on the books, give up their guns? All you're doing with most anti-gun laws is further restricting the lawabiding without impacting illegal use and possession by the bad guys.

--------------

Post Number: 18
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 16 2014, 9:48 pm)

Not at all. DUI/DWI should be charged with attempted murder just for being under the influence behind the wheel and charged with premeditated murder for killing someone while under the influence.

Anti-gun freaks act as if there are NO gun laws that cover shooting someone without cause or reckless use and endangerment with firearm.
There are already well over 10,000 laws on the books covering cases like those mentioned above.
Why do you guys think just one more law is going to make the bad guys, who already violate every law on the books, give up their guns? All you're doing with most anti-gun laws is further restricting the lawabiding without impacting illegal use and possession by the bad guys.

10,000 huh?
 Post Number: 19
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 16 2014, 5:40 pm)

(Walkinman @ Feb. 16 2014, 12:42 pm)

I'm familiar with most gun laws but I have to admit I'm rather astounded that not a single law of the over 10,000 gun laws on the books covers reckless use of a firearm or shooting someone without cause.

How does this make sense to you.

... I have to admit I'm rather astounded that not a single law of the over 10,000 gun laws on the books covers reckless use of a firearm or shooting someone without cause.

Followed by

You point that needed laws are absent, then assert that adding new laws won't solve anything. Your own comment suggests the very opposite.

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2014, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definition of sarcasm (n)
Bing Dictionary

sar·casm
   [ s&#63471;r kàzz&#601;m ]

cutting language: remarks that mean the opposite of what they seem to say and are intended to mock or deride

--------------

Post Number: 21
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2014, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Montanalonewolf

+1

Note also that the convicted drunk driver is able to purchase alcohol the day that he/she is released from jail!!! That is why we need to enact and expand the universal background check law to cover purchases of alcohol.

A person who purchases liquor, like a person who purchases a gun, should have to pass an instant background check at the point of purchase. A court judge should be able to order a convicted drunk driver not to purchase alcohol and have that person entered in the background check database so that liquor vendors are not allowed to sell to that person.

The universal background check law is about much more than guns. Once in place, it can be easily expanded. Most all gun owners support background checks - so I don't see the objection.

I don't understand why this common sense legislation hasn't passed!
 Post Number: 22
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2014, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 16 2014, 9:48 pm)

By that logic anyone who misfires a firearm should be charged with attempted murder and and anyone who kills another person with a firearm should be charged with premeditated murder.

That would simplify your 10,000 gun laws.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2014, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.
There are countless valid cases of justifiable homicide in self defense or in defense of others.
There are laws that cover careless and reckless discharge of a firearm.
There is absolutely NO excuse for driving under the influence. Ever.

--------------

Post Number: 24
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2014, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Feb. 16 2014, 3:29 pm)

(markinOhio @ Feb. 14 2014, 2:18 pm)

Can you show where the state ever intended to "come and take"? I am not familiar with the CT law, what are the penalties for violating it?

Mark, I was serious with this question. You directly said they intended to "come and take". That would be reason for concern. Can you verify this fact?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2014, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From this article, failing to register is a Class D felony:

http://articles.courant.com/2014-02....ion-law

I indicated that the State had no stomach to “come and take” based on this comment from the top official in criminal justice:

“An aggressive hunt isn't going to happen”
 Post Number: 26
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 17 2014, 2:43 am)
Definition of sarcasm (n)
Bing Dictionary

sar·casm
   [ s&#63471;r kàzz&#601;m ]

cutting language: remarks that mean the opposite of what they seem to say and are intended to mock or deride

"Bing"?

.... ahahhhhh ..... This is all starting to make sense now.

--------------

Post Number: 27
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love it. In reality, seld- defense rights are improving at a huge rate.

48 out of 50 states allow some kind of carry. That'll go to fifty soon with SD V. Peruta.

Elected officials in CO being recalled.

Citizens disobeying unjust and unconstitutional laws.

The pro- Crime crowd must be in a tizzy...

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
26 replies since Feb. 14 2014, 4:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Civil disobedience in CT
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions