2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "Pig" Stalked and Killed With Automatic AR, In Eastern North Carolina< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bass Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 9:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fact that this - and his buddies - are running around in the North Carolina forests makes you think twice about hiking there.

See I Had No Idea This Could Be Running Around In The Woods
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is this a surprise?
The AR10 used is NOT an automatic rifle.
Feral pigs are becoming a wild problem in the United States.

The wild hogs can now be found in three-fourths of U.S. states — and their populations are growing in many areas — and are estimated to cause $1.5 billion in damages each year, the Associated Press reports.  There are currently more than 5 million wild hogs in the United States, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture

http://news.yahoo.com/feral-pigs-going-hog-wild-us-170222887.html

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pigs are extremely interesting animals. Take a domestic pig, and free it, and it will morph to a "wild pig"... grow tusks and hair, etc. DNA is still that of a domestic pig though. Many of the huge "wild pigs" that are shot are actually escaped domestic pigs.

That said, there are wild pigs and boars out there. There were two Russian boars that were shot in downtown Utica (Upstate NY; pop 100,000) two years ago.

http://www.uticaod.com/x129289....n-Utica

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogzilla

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is this a political issue?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just another example of wallowing in the mud??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The AR 10 is chambered for the 7.62x51 (.308 Winchester).  The military uses this in some of their sniper rifles, but it's also a good hunting round.

He was also hunting from a tree stand, not "stalking".  The guy sounds serious...he worked on eliminating human odor.  He is also processing the meat for his family, he's not a trophy hunter.

I'd say this guy is a sportsman, in every sense of the word.  If I knew he were in the woods near my hiking trail, I would not hesitate to go out, thought I'd recommend wearing an orange vest during hunting season, just to make yourself more visible.
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have any problem with killing them. What I have a problem with, is hunters that think that it is a great idea to release them into an area for their sport. In Southern Indiana a judge was responsible for releasing some for the purposes of hunting. How can people that are so smart in one discipline be so damn stupid when it comes to life?

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once those wild boars get established, they are pretty much impossible to eradicate. They have been very successful in propagating throughout the southwest and now into the southeast and Ohio Valley. They are very destructive.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much a general +1 on the last several posts.  I don't see any issue at all with what this guy did, nor the gun he used to do it.  I'd be much more scared of coming across one of those huge boars in the woods than I would be of coming across a hunter like him.

Normally I wouldn't talk so dismissively about hunting large animals (most large species in the world are in abject decline and could use our help more than our pressure), but these are invasive species and they really do a lot of damage to the local environment and food webs.  If we could eradicate them tomorrow from our country, we should, but we can't.  It's a very good use for hunting, IMO.

I fail to see any controversy at all in this story.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Mar. 14 2014, 9:05 am)
The fact that this - and his buddies - are running around in the North Carolina forests makes you think twice about hiking there.

Not sure if you're talking about the wild boars or the hunters.  But this boar more or less grew to that size on a free range feed lot.  It was managed hunting property with feeders and limited hunting access.

I would hesitate to even refer to this as a "wild" boar.

No need to be scared of an encounter with creature like this on public land.
 Post Number: 12
star Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lol. On a forum with so many bacon threads, you weren't likely to get much sympathy for the hog.
They're invasive, destructive, pretty scary, and happen to be tasty. Good combination for something to be hunted.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 13
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I object!

Mostly I object because I've had wild boar and I don't think it tastes nearly as good as farm raised pork.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Mar. 14 2014, 11:01 am)
I object!

Mostly I object because I've had wild boar and I don't think it tastes nearly as good as farm raised pork.

That might be a case of being what they eat... I know the tastiest game I've ever had was bear taken from an apple orchard while some of the rankest was another bear: though the most awful by far was some sea ducks... gag. OTOH cornfield Mallards are great.
 Post Number: 15
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I object!

+1
I'll stick with Farmer John.
 Post Number: 16
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 14 2014, 2:05 pm)

I object!

That might be a case of being what they eat... I know the tastiest game I've ever had was bear taken from an apple orchard while some of the rankest was another bear: though the most awful by far was some sea ducks... gag. OTOH cornfield Mallards are great.

Indeed, I believe you've nailed it.  Game that graze on cornfields are far tastier than those that ate acorns in the oak forests.  I've joked for years about planting herb gardens and then shooting the rabbits that ate them, consider it pre-seasoning.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer farm-raised wild boar.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bass @ Mar. 14 2014, 9:05 am)

See I Had No Idea This Could Be Running Around In The Woods

Are you afraid of everything?

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 19
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 14 2014, 2:44 pm)
I prefer farm-raised wild boar.

farm raised wild boar isn't sustainable.
Local, Oregon tilth, Organic, Free Range, All Natural Kosher wild boar is where its at.

:D
 Post Number: 20
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Mar. 14 2014, 4:28 pm)
Local, Oregon tilth, Organic, Free Range, All Natural Kosher wild boar is where its at.

Now that is some good marketing!

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 21
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lamebeaver
The AR 10 is chambered for the 7.62x51 (.308 Winchester).  The military uses this in some of their sniper rifles, but it's also a good hunting round.

I just find it ironic that the hunter chose to use such a controversial weapon to hunt with. The AR is one of the guns that people want banned.

Several states, including California and New York, ban the AR military looking type of rifles as a "assault rifles". Many claim that the AR was designed by the military to be a battlefield weapon and has no use in America for anything except killing people - that the gun is of no use as a hunting rifle.

It seems that this guy in North Carolina doesn't mind using a gun designed for use on the battlefield to hunt with. A lot of hunters in my area also seem to appreciate the gun's features of being powerful, accurate, reliable, lightweight, holding large numbers of rounds, and easily customized and adjusted for different size shooters. Evidently, a lot of hunters are willing to overlook the fact that the gun is ugly and scary looking and painted black. The reasonable price compared to other hunting rifles is probably a factor too.

But there is still a political push to get the AR and other "assault rifles" banned because hunters and self-defense users do not need a weapon designed for war. In 2012 Obama stated, “But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced."
Obama Calls for Renewal of Assault Weapons Ban

And I just can't get over how UGLY the gun looks. Walking around carrying one of those on your shoulder in the woods would be like walking around carrying a roll of toilet paper on your shoulder. It may be practical and economical, but surely there is a way to ban the ugly things because they violate any sense of good fashion.

Maybe that is a better approach to convincing lawmakers to ban them.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're only talking about what a weapon looks like, then yeah, the platform was originally designed for a battlefield but  then the basic version of virtually all civilian rifles were originally designed for battle.
Which says if that's the anti-gunoron argument, "It was designed for the battlefield!"*, that proves the ultimate goal  really  is to remove all guns from civilian hands.

*I have a blackpowder singleshot .50 Hawken (think "Jeremiah Johnson"). The original version was designed for more knockdown power in war. Should it be banned too as a "battlefield rifle"?

--------------

Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bass,

I know this a bit out of your realm, but Armalite rifles are NOT cheaper than traditional hunting rifles.  In most states, hunting with a high capacity (more than 10 rounds) magazine is also illegal.  The ability to get of a fast second or third shot is a big advantage, and functionally, the rifles are very reliable and designed to operate under adverse weather conditions.

It's also a matter of taste, but some people appreciate the engineering that goes into these rifles, and do not consider them ugly or frightening.
 Post Number: 24
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Um, the modern "hunting rifle" was designed after the M1 Garand, which was a battlefield rifle. And a sweet one at that IMHO.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/m1-garand.aspx

In fact most guns (and on that basis all guns originally) were designed to kill people. It was the first lesson my dad taught me about guns. I learned that at about 5 years old.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd argue that most modern hunting rifles trace their heritage from the 1898 Mauser (another military rifle).
 Post Number: 26
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see we're still trying to make a controversy out of this. :p

(Bass @ Mar. 15 2014, 5:32 am)
Evidently, a lot of hunters are willing to overlook the fact that the gun is ugly and scary looking and painted black.

Skeery!  He'd better paint it white with polka-dots.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 27
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 15 2014, 8:44 am)
I'd argue that most modern hunting rifles trace their heritage from the 1898 Mauser (another military rifle).

I would ask you to give some evidence to back that up.

(making a controversy out of this thread)
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 15 2014, 8:57 am)
I see we're still trying to make a controversy out of this. :p

(Bass @ Mar. 15 2014, 5:32 am)
Evidently, a lot of hunters are willing to overlook the fact that the gun is ugly and scary looking and painted black.

Skeery!  He'd better paint it white with polka-dots.

Oh, you wanted a pretty AR?  Well why didn't you say so.

Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nobody can tell for sure who the inventor of guns was. However, they seem to have come about when the European armies began looking for ways to use Chinese powder. As a matter of fact, the history of hunting with rifles begins with turning military technology into practical peacetime uses.

http://EzineArticles.com/6025110

--------------

Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Mar. 15 2014, 9:09 am)

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 15 2014, 8:44 am)

I would ask you to give some evidence to back that up.

(making a controversy out of this thread)

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos....-decade
29 replies since Mar. 14 2014, 9:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Pig" Stalked and Killed With Automatic AR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions