2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Creationists demand equal airtime on Cosmos< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 4:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good to see that folks who prefer mythology are taking notice and watching a science show, maybe it will begin to soak in, a little!

Creationists held a pity party for themselves Thursday because “Cosmos” isn’t being fair and balanced to their beliefs.

“Creationists aren’t even on the radar screen for them, they wouldn’t even consider us plausible at all,” said Danny Falkner, of Answers In Genesis, which has previously complained about the show.

Falkner appeared Thursday on “The Janet Mefford Show” to complain the Fox television series and its host, Neil deGrasse Tyson, had marginalized those with dissenting views on accepted scientific truths, reported Right Wing Watch.

“I don’t recall seeing any interviews with people – that may yet come – but it’s based upon the narration from the host and then various types of little video clips of various things, cartoons and things like that,” Falkner said.

Mefferd said the show should at least offer viewers a false compromise.

“Boy, but when you have so many scientists who simply do not accept Darwinian evolution, it seems to me that that might be something to throw in there, you know, the old, ‘some scientists say this, others disagree and think this,’ but that’s not even allowed,” she said.

Tyson recently said science reporting should not be balanced with nonscientific claims, so that seems unlikely he would offer that sort of fallacious argument on his own show.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs....balance

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, like non science should get on the stage with science. Do they hand out a Nobel for non-science?  

Creationists-- Get over your affair with mythology.  Science doesn't want to hear from you until you can be rational.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree!

And equal time should also be given to unicorns, Bigfoot, the tooth fairy, trickledown economics, and the Orygawn/Salma Hayek/Christina Hendricks sex tape.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Mar. 22 2014, 5:05 pm)
I agree!

And equal time should also be given to unicorns, Bigfoot, the tooth fairy, trickledown economics, and the Orygawn/Salma Hayek/Christina Hendricks sex tape.

Uhh, Ory, most of those characters already have their own shows!!  

Not sure anyone should see the sex tape though.  Ewww!

LOL

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm.

After reading the article I don't see a single instance of the creationist "demanding" anything nor even so much as suggesting "equal air time".  So how does the title relate to the article?  Or is the title a strawman being used to entice people to read the article?
 Post Number: 6
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another laughable story of Creationists playing the victim occurred this week at Furman University.

GREENVILLE — Whether Darwin would have stood a chance against Dr. Terry Mortenson in a debate at Furman University on Wednesday night, the world will never know.

Not only is Darwin no longer among the living to participate in such a debate, but no Furman professors who were approached by a conservative student group to endorse Mortenson’s lecture as a part of a program that grants academic credit for attending cultural events were willing to support it.

The group, Conservative Students for a Better Tomorrow, is accusing faculty members of bias against conservative Christian speakers.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014....ink=cpy
 Post Number: 7
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 22 2014, 4:39 pm)
Hmmm.

After reading the article I don't see a single instance of the creationist "demanding" anything nor even so much as suggesting "equal air time".  So how does the title relate to the article?
Ken, you definitely come from a different planet. Maybe even a different solar system (you know: IAW Mormon doctrine/beliefs). Whatever.

I guess you're not sensitive to the obvious implication of multiple statements by “Danny Falkner” (he of “Answers In Genesis” - nice name for the organization, pointing, as it does, to the mythical stories of creation) about “being fair and balanced to their beliefs”.
“Creationists aren’t even on the radar screen for them, they wouldn’t even consider us plausible at all,” said Danny Falkner…

Falkner appeared Thursday on “The Janet Mefford Show” to complain the Fox television series and its host, Neil deGrasse Tyson, had marginalized those with dissenting views on accepted scientific truths...

“I don’t recall seeing any interviews with people...[blah, blah, blah – the implication being that those people would be the ones with “dissenting views on accepted scientific truths” – the contingent of “so many scientists who simply do not accept Darwinian evolution”]

Are you really blind to the implication of such statements? Or, are you actually doing what Dennis has so often accused you of: “playing dumb”? Sure looks suspiciously similar (to Dennis' allegations) to me...
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 22 2014, 6:05 pm)

(KenV @ Mar. 22 2014, 4:39 pm)
Hmmm.

After reading the article I don't see a single instance of the creationist "demanding" anything nor even so much as suggesting "equal air time".  So how does the title relate to the article?
Ken, you definitely come from a different planet. Maybe even a different solar system (you know: IAW Mormon doctrine/beliefs). Whatever.

I guess you're not sensitive to the obvious implication of multiple statements by “Danny Falkner” (he of “Answers In Genesis” - nice name for the organization, pointing, as it does, to the mythical stories of creation) about “being fair and balanced to their beliefs”.
“Creationists aren’t even on the radar screen for them, they wouldn’t even consider us plausible at all,” said Danny Falkner…

Falkner appeared Thursday on “The Janet Mefford Show” to complain the Fox television series and its host, Neil deGrasse Tyson, had marginalized those with dissenting views on accepted scientific truths...

“I don’t recall seeing any interviews with people...[blah, blah, blah – the implication being that those people would be the ones with “dissenting views on accepted scientific truths” – the contingent of “so many scientists who simply do not accept Darwinian evolution”]

Are you really blind to the implication of such statements? Or, are you actually doing what Dennis has so often accused you of: “playing dumb”? Sure looks suspiciously similar (to Dennis' allegations) to me...

Aaaah, I get it now.  If one can draw far fetched "implications" from another's statements, those "implications" become facts to be debunked.  Clu4U, that's generally called a strawman.  And yeah you're right, dennis is excedingly good at that.

Now, can you answer the question?   Can you state how the article relates to its title without  drawing on (far fetched) "implications".
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only "far fetched" to you, Ken. The implication of those statements is pretty clear to most anyone.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ken's the kind of guy that if someone walked up and pulled their jacket back revealing a gun, he wouldn't realize it was meant as a threat.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 22 2014, 6:22 pm)
Only "far fetched" to you, Ken. The implication of those statements is pretty clear to most anyone.

So you (and according to you "most anyone") read into his statements whatever you want to read?  And then accuse me of "playing dumb"?  Have you considered that the person "playing dumb" (or maybe not really playing) is the person who is incapable of seing the observation bias at work here?

And BTW, you dodged the question twice.  It was a rather simple question too.

Edit:  One more thing.  You claim that this creationst loon "demands equal air time" based on a far fetched "implication" you inferred.  And yet it's leftists like you that argued long and fought hard to get the broadcast "Fairness Doctrine" passed back into law, a law that would have legally mandated "equal air time".  Hows that for irony?
 Post Number: 12
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys, here are a few more groups you can make fun of.  Have fun!

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

http://www.jedichurch.org/

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/thesacredmist/UnicornSociety.html

http://fairybelievers.tripod.com/
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 22 2014, 6:30 pm)

Why? Are they demanding equal time in science curriculums?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Mar. 22 2014, 4:33 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 22 2014, 6:30 pm)

Why? Are they demanding equal time in science curriculums?

I always had you figured as an equal opportunity hater HG.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yet another Lame troll cop out.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ ]Have you considered that the person "playing dumb" (or maybe not really playing) is incapable of seing [sic)
the observation bias at work here?

And BTW, you dodged the question twice.  It was a rather simple question too.
You are angry. I know, because you start misspelling easy words in your haste when you are angry. Calm down.

As I understand you, you believe that it's "observational bias" to fail to include creationism, which is based almost solely on a "holy book", not on science from a discussion of science and the "creation of the cosmos"?

If that's your "dodged question", then I think the answer should be fairly simple: "creationism" is not science.

ETA: In addition, I don't believe Falkner's statements themselves: "marginalized those with dissenting views" and "I don’t recall seeing any interviews with people [implying those with 'dissenting views on accepted scientific truths'"] are all that vague. As I said, he makes himself quite clear. He wants to be "on the stage" to dissent, or he wants representatives of dissenting viewpoints ("creationism") on the program. Not hard to understand, really.
 Post Number: 17
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Mar. 22 2014, 5:25 pm)
Ken's the kind of guy that if someone walked up and pulled their jacket back revealing a gun, he wouldn't realize it was meant as a threat.

I would mention the 'Monkey trial' but he would just get confused about what the monkey did.

:;):

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 5:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Mar. 22 2014, 7:28 pm)
As I understand you, you believe that it's "observational bias" to fail to include creationism, which is based almost solely on a "holy book", not on science from a discussion of science and the "creation of the cosmos"?

If that's your "dodged question", then I think the answer should be fairly simple: "creationism" is not science.

ETA: In addition, I don't believe Falkner's statements themselves: "marginalized those with dissenting views" and "I don’t recall seeing any interviews with people [implying those with 'dissenting views on accepted scientific truths'"] are all that vague. As I said, he makes himself quite clear. He wants to be "on the stage" to dissent, or he wants representatives of dissenting viewpoints ("creationism") on the program. Not hard to understand, really.

Umm, no.  I asked the following:
Can you state how the article relates to its title without  drawing on (far fetched) "implications".

The simple fact is I'm in a hurry cause I'm working nights, it's early in morning and I'm going home to go to bed.  Once again given scant data you drew a conclusion far removed from reality.

BTW, I don't believe in creationism myself and think this creationist is (largely) a loon.  I'm not defending him, just mocking the mindless outrage leveled against him.  How so?  Whining about wanting to be "on the stage" is a far far cry from "demanding equal air time".
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 6:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Mar. 22 2014, 6:25 pm)

This from the guy who thinks a bag of popcorn is a defensive weapon against a guy with a gun pointed at him.

HG, look at the real situation here.  If this guy pulled back his jacket, at MOST it would reveal a bright yellow plastic squirt gun.   This guy's got nothing yet you guys have your hair on fire about his whining.  And who's he whining to?  Janet Mefford!  Yeah, she's got lots of clout.  You're giving this loon WAY more credit and WAY more exposure than he deserves.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Mar. 24 2014, 6:11 am)

(HighGravity @ Mar. 22 2014, 6:25 pm)

This from the guy who thinks a bag of popcorn is a defensive weapon against a guy with a gun pointed at him.

LOL - Nice try Ken.

I never said it was a good weapon. I said that if you're in a dark movie theater and someone starts to shoot you, and the only thing in your hand is bag of popcorn then it makes sense someone in the last second of their life out of desperation would throw the bag at the shooter.

But thanks for proving my point, although unwittingly, about your inability to grasp the simplest of concepts if they aren't spelled out for you. Sometimes I feel guilty about taking advantage of someone so slow witted but then you usually say something obnoxious to relieve the guilt pretty quickly.
 Post Number: 21
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Mar. 22 2014, 4:03 pm)
Yeah, like non science should get on the stage with science. Do they hand out a Nobel for non-science?  

Creationists-- Get over your affair with mythology.  Science doesn't want to hear from you until you can be rational.

Well, actually, yes--there are Nobel Prizes in non-science categories.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with myth. Myths are, in fact, powerful aspects of how humans learn and sustain cultures. "The American way," for example, embraces several myths.

Mythology is a good thing. The problems come when people don't understand the difference between myth and science.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Mar. 23 2014, 9:39 pm)

(HighGravity @ Mar. 22 2014, 5:25 pm)

I would mention the 'Monkey trial' but he would just get confused about what the monkey did.

:;):

Well English is his third language after all.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 23
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pissed that they haven't given equal time to Iroquois, Zulu, and Norse creation theories.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's going on with this thread
 Post Number: 25
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The major Abrahamic religions have every Sunday, Saturday, or Friday to make their case plus religious channels.  Science goes another way (what is physically testable) and it's up to the faithful to reconcile their beliefs to scientific discovery.   The big corporate players in evolution (the pharmaceutical and pesticide industries as they combat superbugs), energy bearing strata (the oil companies), and the big bang (those thinking of asteroid mining and maybe space colonization) are going to do what they do regardless.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stereotypes can help make sense of the world. They are a form of categorization that helps to simplify and systematize information. Thus, information is more easily identified, recalled, predicted, and reacted to.[13] Stereotypes are categories of objects or people. Between stereotypes, objects or people are as different from each other as possible.[1] Within stereotypes, objects or people are as similar to each other as possible.[1]
Gordon Allport has suggested possible answers to why people find it easier to understand categorized information.[22] First, people can consult a category to identify response patterns. Second, categorized information is more specific than non-categorized information, as categorization accentuates properties that are shared by all members of a group. Third, people can readily describe object in a category because objects in the same category have distinct characteristics. Finally, people can take for granted the characteristics of a particular category because the category itself may be an arbitrary grouping.
A complementary perspective theorizes how stereotypes function as time- and energy-savers that allow people to act more efficiently.[1] Yet another perspective suggests that stereotypes are people's biased perceptions of their social contexts.[1] In this view, people use stereotypes as shortcuts to make sense of their social contexts, and this makes a person's task of understanding his or her world less cognitively demanding.[1]

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While stereotyping can be useful, it can (and usually is) also be used to label an entire group with the negative attributes of a nonrepresentational minority.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 24 2014, 4:24 pm)
While stereotyping can be useful, it can (and usually is) also be used to label an entire group with the negative attributes of a nonrepresentational minority.

46% of Americans believe in creationism even though only 75% believe in Christianity. How is that a non-representational minority?
 Post Number: 29
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gabby said

Are you really blind to the implication of such statements? Or, are you actually doing what Dennis has so
often accused you of: “playing dumb”? Sure looks suspiciously similar (to Dennis' allegations) to me...

actually most of the time I don't say Kenv plays dumb(I think GBH has accused Kenv of playing dumb more
than I do). I think more often I just say he is being dumb(rather than playing dumb) or dishonest. Often
times its hard to determine if Kenv is being stupid and ignorant or just dishonest. For example, note the
following from Kenv

Kenv said

Aaaah, I get it now.  If one can draw far fetched "implications" from another's statements, those "implications" become facts to be debunked.  
Clu4U, that's generally called a strawman.  And yeah you're right, dennis is excedingly good at that.

Kenv is exceedingly good at claiming someone like me has committed a strawman and equally good at failing
to show its a strawman.

Kenv is also exceedingly good at poor reading comprehension and/or intentionally misrepresenting what someone
has said.

For example, Kenv above says above concerning what he claims gabby said "yeah you're right, dennis is
excedingly good at that." but Gabby said nothing at all that is consistent with what Kenv says I'm "good at that".  
Obviously looking above Gabby clearly was saying I believe Kenv "plays dumb" not that I was good at committing
Strawman which, ironicallly, is an example of Kenv commiting a strawman.  

No how the hell could ken confuse this? There isn't anything Gabby said that is even close to suggesting
that he meant I was good at "committing Stramman.". So is Kenv's reading comprehension really this bad or is Kenv
really this blatantly dishonest to so obviously distort what Gabby said? See this why I said above in reply to
Gabby I think more often I just say he is being dumb(rather than playing dumb) or dishonest. Often times its
hard to determine if Kenv is being stupid and ignorant or just dishonest.

Since so many of the recent threads have been focusing on religion and so on, maybe kenv call tell us what
the bible or God thinks of someone who is so consistently dishonest and so prone to not only misrepresent what
someone says but to MASSIVELY misrepresent what someone has said.

If it isn't misrepresenting what Gabby said then Kenv has massive serious reading comprehension skill problems and
if that is the case he should really reconsider posting on this forum or any forum. If this is the case, he should
first improve his reading comprehension skills first before coming on a forum like this spouting off while clearly
not having the ability to read material and knowing what someone has actually said.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 30
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gabby said

This is what Kenv does over and over again which is pretty damn annoying. He makes assertions and/or
quotes things in which its obvious what he is trying to say and/or imply and then when is called on it
he denies that what he intended. In the thread about Fracking he clearly quoting something with the
intention of using it as evidence to contradict the idea that the CEO engaged in hypocrisy or something
else along those lines but then denies when called on it. What a chickensh**.

Gabby said

You are angry. I know, because you start misspelling easy words in your haste when you are angry. Calm down.

Kenv angry? How can this be? Kenv posts on TPA because its "entertainment" and "fun" or so he says.

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
54 replies since Mar. 22 2014, 4:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Creationists demand equal airtime on Cosmos
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions