2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Independence for Scotland! :: Total Votes:6
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1. Yes Scottish voters will choose independence 2  [33.33%]
2.No  Scottish voters will choose to remain united in Great Britain 1  [16.67%]
3.None of the above: Don't know, and don't care 3  [50.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Independence for Scotland!, What Would John Muir Do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 4:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This seems to me a very interesting exercise in democracy amoung (sic) our British cousins.  I should think that those who are wanting so badly to break off new, independent "states" from various of our current 50 United States would find this intriguing.

I realize the levels being pursued are different, but many of the same issues apply to both cases, it seems to me.

Fragmenting a strong economy, creating a new monetary system, jeopardizing EU membership, pitting a more liberal against a more conservative choice, etc.

"We have a great deal of confidence that we are on track to win a 'Yes' vote in September," Sturgeon told a news conference on Saturday.

But despite the narrowing in polls, Alistair Darling, head of the pro-union Better Together campaign, said most Scots still would prefer to stay within the United Kingdom, and argued that a split would mean higher costs for business and less security.

http://www.reuters.com/article....0140411

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I am aware of the historical splits between Scotland and England, I cannot see any advantage of splitting the government now.  There will always be those who wish for independence, but the cost of running a separate entity should overwhelm any desire to be free from English rule.  

I suppose it could be seen from a similar view of some of our states thinking they would be better off seceding.  I just don't see it happening in reality.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rick Perry for President of The Republic of Texas! Secede now!

Hopefully them people over there are a little more, uh, hytone.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beats the hell out of a civil war, then let 'em sort it out on their own.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No interest from the state secession advocates here, I see.  

Most of them are probably off helping that Nevada rancher in continuing to steal from the US taxpayers, while damaging public lands.  

What if the new, independent state they want to establish was the one trying to collect grazing fees for public property from a deadbeat rancher??

What a country!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

North Sea oil income grab?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 13 2014, 12:46 pm)
North Sea oil income grab?

Definitely the motivation for the big supporters, and the only reason this issue has been able to get so far along politically.

But, even that is tenuous!  How oil revenue would be divided is a complex and unsure issue.  Much of the development was funded with non-Scottish funds, and I doubt that the British Navy will be intimidated by the Sottish Navy!!

How much would the Scottish economy suffer if the British Navy pulled out of Scottish ports??

This whole issue should be as silly and unworkable as the lame attempts to carve off new states here in America, but this thing has a real chance to pass!

What a world!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Groundskeeper Willie: "It won't last. Brothers and sisters are natural enemies! Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!"

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Going to be a long and interesting political summer in Great Britain, I think.

As the vote in September nears, the argument about Scottish independence is naturally becoming more tense. And so, as the stakes get higher, is the argument about what the Scottish independence opinion polls are currently saying. To read some nationalist propaganda, you might think that the buoyant yes campaign is already neck-and-neck with the no campaign and about to take the lead. Alex Salmond played shamelessly to that mood in his weekend speech to the SNP in Aberdeen. But more objective judges remain significantly more cautious, pointing out that the no campaign remains ahead in every poll in Scotland, even those trumpeted by the SNP, while many of those polls still show a large lead for no, with some suggesting that the yes campaign may have lost a little momentum lately.

What cannot be denied, however, is that the yes campaign has had significantly the better of the first quarter of 2014. Last autumn, there was little movement in the polls. The expectation that Scotland would vote no remained solid, with nothing seriously to challenge it. Since then, however, two things have happened. First, supporters of Scotland remaining in the UK took up some big issues – on the currency in particular, but also about the European Union and, most recently, about the impact of a no vote on global stability. Second, those arguments had an impact on public opinion. But it was not the impact their advocates had hoped for. Ever since George Osborne went to Scotland in February and argued against a future currency union, it is the yes campaign that has prospered more.

http://www.theguardian.com/comment....itorial

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Apr. 12 2014, 6:20 pm)
Rick Perry for President of The Republic of Texas! Secede now!

Hopefully them people over there are a little more, uh, hytone.

"Rick Perry for President of The Republic of Texas! Secede now!"

I can dig it!!!!!!

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
9 replies since Apr. 12 2014, 4:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Independence for Scotland!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions