2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Changing Face Of Police In The US, No Longer Part Of Community< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bass Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 6:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was easy to see that the Feds were trying to set the stage for a Waco or Ruby Ridge type massacre at Bundy's ranch in Nevada.

Why? Was it to use all these new military toys and see how efficiently snipers and helicopter gunners can kill?

There is a new breed of police in today's America. "Military-style units from government agencies are wreaking havoc on non-violent citizens."

From The United States Of SWAT :

“Law-enforcement agencies across the U.S., at every level of government, have been blurring the line between police officer and soldier,” journalist Radley Balko writes in his 2013 book Rise of the Warrior Cop. “The war on drugs and, more recently, post-9/11 antiterrorism efforts have created a new figure on the U.S. scene: the warrior cop — armed to the teeth, ready to deal harshly with targeted wrongdoers, and a growing threat to familiar American liberties.”

The proliferation of paramilitary federal SWAT teams inevitably brings abuses that have nothing to do with either drugs or terrorism. Many of the raids they conduct are against harmless, often innocent, Americans who typically are accused of non-violent civil or administrative violations.

Many veteran law-enforcement figures have severe qualms about the turn police work is taking. One retired veteran of a large metropolitan police force told me: “I was recently down at police headquarters for a meeting. Coincidently, there was a promotion ceremony going on and the SWAT guys looked just like members of the Army, except for the police shoulder patches. Not an image I would cultivate. It leads to a bad mindset.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 6:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get your MRAP here!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news....for-war

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It started in the 1970's with Los Angeles SWAT against leftists, but gained steamed after the (again) Los Angeles Northridge incident (1993) when those bank robbers outgunned the normal LAPD with their AK-47's.  Most dept now scatter SWAT throughout their force as not to keep a paid force idle.  9/11 just accelerated an accelerating trend.  

Law enforcement should have a SWAT ability since there's more military style semi-autos in circulation, IMHO , but when SWAT gets called to action should be when there's a threat that deserves it.  

When it gets deployed is why we pay these police supervisors, judges, and politico's the big bucks to get it right.   If they screw it up and lose in court when sued (increasingly by the family but sometimes the accused), the county insurance will pay but if the award goes beyond that insurance, ... the taxpayer picks up the tab.   Not SWAT, but one New Mexico county locked a DUI case up, somehow forgot he was in solitary for a year, lost in court, and I calculated the uninsured tab at $37 per taxpayer.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 4
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Apr. 19 2014, 5:50 am)

Well, you gotta have something nice for the forth of july parade other than the old beat up 1956 fire truck.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I disagree that law enforcement is no longer part of the community.  In fact I think just the opposite.  Over the past couple of decades many local law enforcement agencies have implemented community based policing programs which work towards operating more closely with the citizens. And the main reason cops have upped the game with their tactics and equipment is the threats against them have increased significantly.

And I disagree with your contention that the feds were trying for another Waco or Ruby Ridge in Nevada.  First, all three of these incidents were entirely different.  Second, the feds showed exceptional restraint and good judgment in Nevada by backing down from this potentially volatile encounter.  If they were looking for a blood bath as you suggest, they had the perfect scenario for it, but they chose to de-escalate.
 Post Number: 6
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I gotta agree that the Bundy incident was nearly the opposite of the Waco and Ruby Ridge incidents.  The feds backed down rather than escalating.  I generally agree with the new approach.
5 replies since Apr. 19 2014, 6:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Changing Face Of Police In The US
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions