2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Federal Land to the States...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 1:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More mining, logging, and money to the states. Time to open the land for extraction.  The devil will be in the details if it happens.  I'm generally not in favor of these type of proposals; especially if Utah politicians are involved.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib....tml.csp

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think its best to go the other way. Resolve the problem these little mistakes are causing, small sects running local pols like puppets, by reconsolidating the eastern Guadalupe Hidalgo lands into, say, two revised states: North and South Rocky Mountains.

It was all national territory to start with, I say back to the (boundary) drawing board.

http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/guadalupe-hidalgo/
 Post Number: 3
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The intent was never to take over national parks and wilderness created by an act of Congress Lockhart said. "We are not interested in having control of every acre," she said. "There are lands that are off the table that rightly have been designated by the federal government."

Or maybe she means "we want the land that has resources we can extract and pocket ourselves instead of the federal gov." (my interpretation)

Most of these states cannot even manage their own parks and sites well, Utah only recently reversed the cutbacks their parks had, coincidently about the same time (or shortly after to be exact) they started pushing to take over the federal land.
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Apr. 20 2014, 4:00 pm)
The intent was never to take over national parks and wilderness created by an act of Congress Lockhart said. "We are not interested in having control of every acre," she said. "There are lands that are off the table that rightly have been designated by the federal government."

Or maybe she means "we want the land that has resources we can extract and pocket ourselves instead of the federal gov." (my interpretation)

Bingo!

Anyone who thinks these states are acting to defend the Bundys of the world are sadly mistaken IMO.
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was all national territory to start with, I say back to the (boundary) drawing board.

It was all stolen Indian land from the beginning.
[sarcasm]Why shouldn't it now be stolen from the feds?[/sarcasm]

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Apr. 21 2014, 3:29 am)

It was all stolen Indian land from the beginning.
[sarcasm]Why shouldn't it now be stolen from the feds?[/sarcasm]

And the various tribes had stolen it from people's that had come before.

That was pre-law, now there's a legal system in place. No more just sauntering down from the north and pushing out the residents. Or sauntering off boats for that matter.
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

BLM could sell land but there's plenty of homesteads closer to water already up for sale at a discount.  At least in the desert Southwest, water is now the big concern but even 20 years ago, the ag scientists were telling investors who wanted to start cattle operations in the desert southwest that they would just be wasting their money.  The remaining lands tend to be even more unproductive.  Now, the realtors of the West have always willing to take greenhorn money if they insist on a John Wayne fantasy - they'll be rolling over more commissions in a few years when the greenhorn has had enough.  :D
Heck, most of the well-heeled friends I have in the area are looking at buying second homes in Maine and other parts of the moist East in case the water situation gets even worse out West.  About to become a "sunbird" myself (reverse of a snowbird, that means splitting towards el Norte in the summer when this place becomes like Hades).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
6 replies since Apr. 20 2014, 1:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Federal Land to the States...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions